iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spraying Anchorseal

Started by jackganssle, September 09, 2011, 10:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackganssle

Does anyone spray Anchorseal? I wonder if it would go through a sprayer as it's so thick. But spraying would be a lot easier than using a brush.
Woodmizer LT-15

submarinesailor

Contract Anchorseal directly.  They will be more than happy to talk with you about this.  I have spoken with them several time at the Richmond show about this very thing.  They will tell you exactly what tip size to use - I keep forgetting, that's why I have asked about it several times.

Bruce

scsmith42

Jack, I spray it and would not want to apply it any other way.  U.S. Coatings sells a backpack sprayer specifically designed for this application.  Basically it is your typical SOLO backpack but with a special nozzle.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DR Buck

I have and ocassionally use the UC backpack sprayer.   It's fast, but unless your doing a lot of logs all the time, it may not be the best investment.   

I mostly use a paint roller.    You can pick up a cheap roller and one of thiose bucket roller screens for a couple bucks at one of the box stores. 

I buy the clear Anchor Seal and put a small amount in an empty bucket then mix in a small amount of latex paint to color it.   I use the roller to apply it to the customer logs.    This way I can end coat a different color for species or customers to help identify the logs.  Using the clear and doing this keeps me from having to buy a large amount of coating of different colors.

I find this much more efficient than the backpack sprayer for my operation.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Paper Maker

I've tried spraying it through a garden sprayer. It would only spray a straight stream. It wouldn't spray a fan stream at all. If you could get the right tip and sprayer it would probably be a good idea. If you find something at a reasonable price I would like to hear about it.

DR Buck

Quote from: Paper Maker on September 10, 2011, 12:21:57 AM
   I've tried spraying it through a garden sprayer. It would only spray a straight stream. It wouldn't spray a fan stream at all. If you could get the right tip and sprayer it would probably be a good idea. If you find something at a reasonable price I would like to hear about it.

You need a higher pressure to get it to spray.  That's why the backpack sprayer is used.    UC Coatings sells the back sprayer with a "special" nozzel to get it to fan out.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

WoodMiller

If you only have a dozen logs or so, it's cheap and fast to use a roller - just toss the $1.50 roller cover and no cleanup time involved.  UC also sells/sold a slide sprayer that you can use - looks like a bicycle pump.
WoodMizer LT40 Superhydraulic LT40HDD51

chevytaHOE5674

Where I work we have a gas pump that sits on top of a 55 gallon drum of anchorseal and we spray it via that. Works good if the nozzle is nice and clean, if it gets a little dirt or gunk in it then it won't spray worth a darn.

backwoods sawyer

Those old water filled fire extinguishers that you pump up work ok, but there is more waist from dripping off the ends of the beam, and they are not all that accurate so you may have to clean it off the windshield of the fork lift after squirting it on the ends of the beams.
An airless sprayer gives a nice wide fan that lays on a nice even layer, but you have to use it quite a bit to justify all the extra time it takes to clean it.
Old coffee can and a 4" brush is what I use, both get a good washing after each use. The brush is five years old and the coffee can is even older.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

The brush makes it easier to get the anchorseal into the wood pores, but it is slower going.  I am a brush guy since I do not do it every day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Piston

I bought a spray bottle for cleaning solvents that has an adjustable nozzle, it only holds about 16 oz or so but I don't use it much and it works well.  It doesn't spray a perfect mist but is easier/cleaner/quicker than painting, it also lasts a while in the bottle, I think it cost $4 or so. 

I very rarely use the anchorseal though and I don't think it would work well if you used it a lot.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

doc henderson

hey guys, adding to this older post.  I tried the recommended tip on a cheap garden sprayer with anchorseal and still had a thin stream.  The pumps via UC coatings are about 700 dollars if I recall.  I bought a harbor freight airless sprayer and it works great.  About 150 doallrs with a coupon.  I used a roller but it loaded enough paint and seemed to get more on the ground.  The site states that cleaning is recommended but not needed.  So I am going to try leaving it primed and in the bucket.  I will let you know if it becomes a problem
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

I don't do enough logs at one time to justify a sprayer so I took an old gallon milk jug and cut out about 1/4 of the top front leaving the top and handle as a funnel. I use a 4" paintbrush. If I don't use all the anchorseal I turn it upside down and pour it back in the 5 gallon bucket it came in.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

moodnacreek

Back when I was using  anchorseal I bought a 'trombone' sprayer from them.

DPatton

Quote from: moodnacreek on July 29, 2018, 05:36:16 PM
Back when I was using  anchorseal I bought a 'trombone' sprayer from them.
??? ??? Being a young sheltered pup, I shamefully admit I had to look that one up.  ::)
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Brad_bb

I use a garden sprayer to apply it, and a brush to spread it.  I keep the brush in a cup of water until I need it.  I have a video in this thread.
End Grain Sealing in Sawmills and Milling
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

tmbrcruiser

Brad, I do the same thing. Spray the log with a back pack sprayer then even out the spray with a 4" brush. Found a 4" brush with a handle that screws off. Take the handle off cut a hole in the coffee tub lid and reattach to the brush. This way I can seal the brush in the can without cleaning each time I use it.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

tburch

I use a Round Up brand backpack sprayer.   It works OK, but the fan pattern stream hits so hard I get a lot of back splatter.  Too much splatter, but, it's tons faster than using only a brush.  After spraying, I do use a brush to even it out and get it in the pores.   I'll look into seeing what tip UC sells.  I'm using a fan tip now, but it's plastic and does gum up between uses.   
Peterson 10" WPF with slabber. Cooks AC36 Diesel.
'94 Ford 4830 Diesel 2WD & FEL.  Norse 450 skid winch.  Logrite fetching arch.  Fransgard Forestry Grapple.

btulloh

Quote from: tmbrcruiser on July 30, 2018, 08:25:56 AM
Brad, I do the same thing. Spray the log with a back pack sprayer then even out the spray with a 4" brush. Found a 4" brush with a handle that screws off. Take the handle off cut a hole in the coffee tub lid and reattach to the brush. This way I can seal the brush in the can without cleaning each time I use it.
Ditto for me.  Keep it simple.  Works for my volume of end sealing.  I just cut an X in the top of the coffee can lid and stick the handle through it.  I wrapped some tape around the handle to give it a little more to hang onto.  I change the water once in a while, but mostly just leave it alone.  I never clean the sprayer nozzle either, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!