iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

NH native shrubs and other small plants - suggestions?

Started by WoodenFeet, May 19, 2021, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenFeet

Hi all,

I bought some land in NH, 2.5 acres at about 1400 ft elevation, lots of ledge, main trees are beech, ash, and some maple/other. I'm clearing some of the lot to make a cabin - a ff member cut down a bunch of gnarly ash for me, which makes up most of the clearing. Because the land is sloped and the rock is so close to the surface, I'm thinking about what kind of native plants I could plant that aren't trees (would prefer not to block nice new view) that will be wild-life friendly and also help hold the soil back and prevent erosion. Flowers and fruits/berries a plus for me on a personal level, but main concern is being good to the land - I abut national forest and want to be a respectful neighbor.

Thanks for the insight!

peakbagger

Best idea is call the cooperative extension for the area. NH does has a plant nursery and sells NH plants.

If you havent done so, get a septic system design done, in rocky shallow soil, it can be real challenge to find a spot to put in a system and that could drive where you can plant.

WoodenFeet

Great ideas. Yeah, I plan on having a composting toilet for black water, but still need a grey-water system for everything else. The first place I'll plant is above the build-site, then around and below it afterwards (where the grey water system will go).

alan gage

My suggestion is the same as peakbagger.

In Iowa the state university extension has a lot of information on their website about native trees, bushes, and shrubs and there is a state nursery that offers bare root plants very reasonably in packs of 25 or 50.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

peakbagger

BTW, Androscoggin Ranger district has a NH landscape garden in front of the building. Unfortunately with Covid it has not be spruced up this year but worth stopping by if you are in the area. The MT Washington Hotel has or had rooftop garden planted with alpine plants. I have heard of it by have not seen it. Cant go wrong with high blush blueberries, they like acid soil. But the bears also like them ;)  Lincoln Woods parking lot has some big high bush plants placed inside the fence around the leach field for their septic system. I think the WMNF headquarter has some NH plants in their landscaping.

Thank You Sponsors!