iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydraulic pump info?

Started by Mainecoast, October 11, 2021, 08:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mainecoast

So I have a 1985 mighty mite. Got it working pretty well now and sawed my 2nd log finally. When I release the pressure on the manifold and lower my idle..I can hear the pump start to make a grumpy noise. And then I kill the power and the pump let's out a loud squeal. It's a Vickers Vtm 42..there are lots of other numbers and dashes after the 42. But has anyone rebuilt one of these? Or should I just send it off to get fixed up. 

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Its a vane pump, theyre pretty simply to take apart and inspect if you use a marker to keep tabs of how things go back together so you dont get them backward.  Vickers parts should be available and it might save a big pump replacement bill to catch the issue sooner than later.  Maybe a cracked vane holster or something like that.  

Glass and sandpaper soaked in wd40 is an easy way to freshen up end plates for a little more life.  

Could also be a drive coupling issue but you wont know if you dont get things apart
Praise The Lord

Mainecoast

I'm having a hard time finding parts and worried I'll get the wrong things. I was quoted about 350 for a rebuild/seals at a hydraulic shop locally.. 

Southside

What does a new one cost? You can't beat a man at his game. If it's a good shop that's probably a more reliable solution than winging it.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Mainecoast

Pretty sure a new one is around 750$..this being said it seems like there might be one on eBay refurbished for 350. Maybe I should get one of those and then rebuild myself when winter comes and have a back up. Not sure how often these go bad. I'm
Assuming the noise is only
Going to get worse. It seems to be building pressure just fine. I wonder if it's putting metal into my system. 

mike_belben

Get a mechanics stethoscope and listen to the pump, be sure its inside.  It would suck to order a $$ pump and then when you pull it theres a $15 lovejoy issue and all sales final.
Praise The Lord

Erik A

Just guessing....

If the pump is worn, is the squeal fluid moving back to the low pressure side when it stops?

Do you think it is making noise with the idle up, you just can't hear it? 

Does the pump squeal only when still turning or continues after it stops ? Does it have belt that is slipping ?

If you idle down slowly do you get less grumpy noise or none?

If I were planning to take it in to a shop, I would open it first to see if I noticed something simple, take pictures and mark it before taking it apart (as stated above)

The funny thing is I would assume that if it was wearing out where it would send metal into the system, it would be louder with more throttle and pressure? 

Thank You Sponsors!