iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

So tell me about Maine..

Started by wkheathjr, November 29, 2008, 09:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkheathjr

Am thinking of buying a land up there..  wooded land with access to lake. 

1) To my understanding, can not build anything within 250' from the shore of lake.  Does that include the pier?  And can not have any opening to the lake (clearing trees).  Correct?

2) What's the rule on cutting down trees on the land?  Do you have to be licensed to do this? Or can it be done by myself for purpose of using timber to build cabin?  Some state just have law on this and not sure about Maine?

3) Can you clear some land by yourself using heavy equipment to remove stumps and all? Or is there a restriction on certain size of acrage you can do this without permit?  Here in NC, you do not need Erosion Control Plan nor permit if clearing land under 1 acre.

4) What is weather like in north Maine?  When does it start snowing? How long does it last? How bad can it get?  I used to live in Rochester NY and I can remember the winter being brutally but I have no experience living in the country during the whole winter.  I might have to be ready to leave for south if it get bad for me the first year  :D.

5) Tell me about snowmobile activities I was hearing about!

And anything I should know, feel free to throw it in!  I am still undecided on buying and I am on the fence of making it a vacation getaway or living year round.  I do have a beach property here in NC but it is family owned and I am growing weary of the sandy and salt water.  It dry up my skins and all, and the heat is slowly becoming unbearable for me I spend most of my summer indoor that I get sick of it.  I thought what better than to find a place that stay cool during the summertime so I can be more active like being outdoor and having fun than staying indoor in the AC.

Mooseherder

We have some land and cabin there and sure do miss it a lot.   It also has some of the best 4 wheeling in the country.  Very friendly area for outdoorsman.  You can drive your Wheeler/sled into towns via many access roads. 

#1. Not sure about the distance to water but I think the rules have changed to allow you to get closer.  Everyone pulls out their piers (they call them wharfs) as they have wheels and a hitch like a trailer because the Ice would work them over good when the Lake freezes.

#2. You can cut down your own trees and build your own cabin. I think the septic system may be your only requirement for permitting.  ??? ::) :P

#3. You can clear your own land.  If you are in an incorporated area you may need the Townships permit.  (they like their tax base)
If you are not, LURC (Land Use Regulatory Commission) likes to poke their nose into your business.

#4. The weather is usually cold, summer doesn't last long enough and sometimes the winter can get a little long.  If you like the outdoors and dress properly there is plenty to do.  Northern Maine set record snowfalls last year with over 200 inches.  The snowmobiling boasts over 1500 miles of trails and connects with Canada and other states as well.

thecfarm

If I was buying ANY water frontage in ANY state,I would make sure I could do what I wanted to do with it BEFORE I bought it.There's a whole bunch of different rules when it comes to water.
Mooseherder,you trying to scare the poor guy away with last years snow fall? I can remember in 2000 trying to set up stakes in March for the house we was going to build and I was running around gathering up enough snow so the stakes would not fall over.There been many easy winters in the last 20 years here.Last year was not too bad for cold though.Seen it not even get in the double digits for 2 weeks.Someone will help you out with the snow in Northern Maine.Kinda different in the Central part.I'm just about where the snow starts in the Mtn region.Make sure you check out electricity too.Some times it's worth it and others may make you really think about it.Cost us about $10 a foot to get it to our house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I'm not from Maine myself, but the weather in Maine parallels our Canadian Maritimes. I live in West Central NB and my land borders on Maine. In 2005-06 winter we had 2" all winter. Every time we got 4-6" of snow we got 2" inches of rain to remove it that winter. :D Last year we got a lot of snow and the norm for around here is 3-4 feet of snow pack. For a lot of years though you could not even snowmobile in my area. So far we only have 1" of snow on the ground and it was melting today, almost 40°F. December and January are the coldest months, February, March and April will not set any heat waves either. We average around 0°F for the coldest months, but it can dip to -40 F in river valleys up north for a few days at a time, but usually recovers to milder spells within a week. There are still people that travel in winter up here not thinking about a possible break down and being stranded when they drive in storms meant for any sane man or beast to stay home. People will dress for cool October weather because they have a car heater and forget to toss the winter coat, warm ski pants, mittens, hat and shovel in the trunk in case they have to shovel out of a drift or walk for help. A cold brisk NW or W wind is bone chilling, and an almost instant flesh freezer. If it's mixed with blowing snow it can literally cut your wind off. Lakes and rivers freeze 3 feet thick or more.

I enjoy winter myself, but if you have not lived it you might find the warm south more appealing long before May. It will separate the tough from the weak, right quick. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Winter .. thats the easy part to deal with , alls ya need is a stove and some wood .. Whats ya got to worry about is spring and summer .  ::) ...............  BUGS are here  :o
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

wkheathjr

Bugs? I doubt that's the problem for me because we get thousand of them down in the deep south! We got almost all the pest kind that seems to never go away so I doubt it is any worse up there?

The first year I went to college in Rochester NY and that was my first experience of first brutal winter I ever went through.  It was hard for me but by second year, I got hang of it and got used to it.   

I plan on doing more research before buying the land there.  Building permit, septic, electric/water connect, Phone(DSL?), any cable service(High-Speed?), etc. 

Thanks for the input and will see what happen next...

james

Mainer someone who has lived in Maine for 1 winter
Maniac some one who has lived there for 2 or more ;D ;D ;D
james

SwampDonkey

Quote from: wkheathjr on November 30, 2008, 12:29:48 AM
Bugs? I doubt that's the problem for me because we get thousand of them down in the deep south! We got almost all the pest kind that seems to never go away so I doubt it is any worse up there?

They can be, but not everywhere.

For instance in my area the bugs are bad enough. But to go up the Tobique, be prepared to be fleeced. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sprucebunny

Most of the questions you ask ( setbacks, doing your own logging ) are regulated by the Town, not the state.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

rebocardo

Buy some land inland, off I-95, in central Maine on a big lake, on a hill. That is what I did.

0 degrees is not uncommon in the winter, it can start snowing in Sept.

Only 2% of the property has paved driveways.

Safest place to send your kid to school and every household has a shotgun probably :-D

They have snow mobile trails all over. Because of the laws, property owners are encouraged to let people pass over their land. You can drive practically anywhere by snow mobile.

moonhill

I don't have a shotgun.  Had a double barrel but sold it.  I have some other goodies here and there, though.   

I live in an unorganized township which is under LURC,  I have to send everything to Augusta. 

Don't get caught riding an ATV or snowmobile over Blueberry ground, that's a big no-no.  There is an extensive trail system.  If you go off the trail system, one needs permission.  If confronted by a land owner you are required by law to stop. 

There is a local organization called The Black Fly Breeders Association,  their slogan is "you feed 'em we breed 'em".  So, visitors are welcome.   There are only black flies, no other biting bugs, none, zilch,  and you can take that to the bank, for what it's worth.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

SwampDonkey

You can add midges, deer flies, moose flies, mosquitos....  :D

Tim L

I have heard it said Maine is 9 months of winter and 3 months of dang poor sleddding !
Do the best you can and don't look back

wkheathjr

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 01, 2008, 07:00:00 AM
You can add midges, deer flies, moose flies, mosquitos....  :D

Are you okay?  Did I caused you to get new obsession over the bugs?

And down in the south, the spring/summer season is awful long..  it starts in March and end in November.  Thats looooooooong bug season!  You got horsefly (almost like housefly but they bite bad than mosquito), mosquito and it swarm all over real real bad right after it rains, housefly that never goes away and like to bother you when you are sleeping, and so on.  It's just a torture sometime in a loooong season so I am not worried about bug. I am used to it and insect of all kind doesn't scare me off..  We got snake down here and do you have any?  We have got all 4 poisonous snakes in the USA (Rattlesnake, Copperhead, Corral, and water moccasin).  We even got bear.

So really, I am not worried about bug and I aint letting it stop me from moving somewhere new or buying a vacation getaway.  Sorry!

wannabeonetoo

I'll gladly take our FRIENDLY bugs and VERY FRIENDLY bears  ;) ;D
  You keep those NASTY SERPENTS down there , thank-you very much !!!!!!
   As for snow and cold ? I'll take it over the stiffling heat any day  :D
Seriously though, you'll love the the nord in all seasons  ;)
Steve

SwampDonkey

Quote from: wkheathjr on December 01, 2008, 08:31:34 AM
housefly
Got them to, all winter in the house. Bring good vacuum cleaner. :D

Quotethat never goes away and like to bother you when you are sleeping

We call them blow flies, they are metallic green on the body, some not.  ;D

We have snakes, just the bug, frog and rodent eating kind though.

I seen something floating in the brook the other day and realized it was a 5" long water boatman beetle probably chasing the leeches.  ;)

Don't mind the bears, they'll just crawl in the camp with ya 'til spring. I found 4 bear dens this summer.  ;D

pineywoods

What them Maine folks don't tell you is they got skeeters as big as horse flies, and they bite just as bad. They can suck out a 1/4 pint of blood before you can swat them. :o
I tried to stay in a campground in Bar Harbour, finally just gave up and left. Swarms of skeeters so thick, couldn't get out of the camper..Least a rattlesnake will warn you before he bites ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Maineloggerkid

ONe thing to keep in mind isthat Maine has for seasons: 

Almost winter, Winter, Still Winter, and Road Construction.

Last year we had 4 feet of snow on the ground from late Feb. thru March.  Up north they had about 10 feet on the ground.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

Brad_S.

I live near your alma mater in Rochester. Recently took a job with a company that has me spend more time in northern/central Maine than I do at home. My co-workers all live within 50 miles of Rochester as well. They're comment to me was that "you haven't seen winter until you've experienced a Maine winter". Okaay!
Company outfitted me with Ice Armor long johns and Arctic Armor outer wear in anticipation of a fun winter in Maine!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Maineloggerkid

What area, is it that you work in???

stonebroke

I think Brad S is going to be working in one of the windier spots in Maine, maybe.

Stonebroke

Warbird

Quote from: Brad_S. on December 01, 2008, 08:12:24 PM
I live near your alma mater in Rochester. Recently took a job with a company that has me spend more time in northern/central Maine than I do at home. My co-workers all live within 50 miles of Rochester as well. They're comment to me was that "you haven't seen winter until you've experienced a Maine winter". Okaay!
Company outfitted me with Ice Armor long johns and Arctic Armor outer wear in anticipation of a fun winter in Maine!

Hmmmmm.  Perhaps I need to live in Maine for a while and compare winter there to winter here in Fairbanks.  You guys may have higher humidity there and that can make the cold hurt a lot more.

Brad_S.

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on December 02, 2008, 07:23:07 AM
What area, is it that you work in???
Houlton to Oakfield, Stinkin' Lincoln, Lee & Winn. Finishing up my end of things there and turbines will be going up there soon. This coming year looks like I'll be getting to know Rumsford/Black Mountain area and somewhere north of Ellsworth.

Warbird,
I only meant to compare a Maine winter to a Rochester winter as a Rochester winter was the standard being used. I think Alaska is in a different league!

SwampDonkey

I'll take a Maine winter over Alaskan. ;D

A few private windmills down around Oakfield in the Amish community there. I don't know if they use them for anything serious though. Last time I was down there a year ago a  couple had been broken to bits.

Maineloggerkid

Lee and Winn are about 20 mintues from my house. Are you familiar with Kingman?

routestep

I have a small camp about 12 miles north of Springfield. I now can stand in my driveway and look at the new windmills on the mountain.

Blackflies are bad, some people have allergic reactions to the bites. And they can pretty much ruin a good walk in your woods during June.

I don't know about lakes, but LURC requires a 110 foot setback from streams for cutting trees. Closer than that to a stream and trees can be cut with no greater opening than 200 square feet in the canopy. Hazard trees can always be removed.

My Building permitt was pretty easy to get but I'm North of Bangor and have a camp, not a house.

Maine is not a cheap state to live in. Taxes are high - Maine has ranked number one for  taxes in the past, don't know what its standing is for this year.

beenthere

State taxes ranked...

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/index.html

Not sure if property tax is figured in, but personal income and sales tax shown.

Maine is at the top of the list with NY.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ellmoe

Quote from: beenthere on December 06, 2008, 10:13:55 PM
State taxes ranked...

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/total_taxes/index.html

Not sure if property tax is figured in, but personal income and sales tax shown.

Maine is at the top of the list with NY.

Thanks for the link. At the bottom of the page it says that it includes property taxes. How they calculate the average person's p. tax, it doesn't mention.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

stonebroke

So at least NY is number one in something.

Stonebroke

Brad_S.

Stonebroke,
Perhaps you missed the report a year or so ago that said we had the number 1 disfunctional state government in America, so there are couple of things we're #1 at.

SwampDonkey

As far as Maine is concerned, I think they do quite well for being left behind. It seems their federal funding for different things keeps getting cut and it don't seem to matter what governor sits in office everyone seems to move right along. Some states would probably go broke, not that I have any one in mind or have enough insight to tell you, but just my gut feeling. I think the US as a whole looks at Maine, like many provinces look at Maritimers with a lot of false stigmas. I can think of a lot of areas of US and Canada that didn't get to where they are on their own feet with out big brother.

Mooseherder

There are many in the Northern parts of Maine that feel there are "2 Maines".
Everytime a Politician, Magazine article, or odd ball mention Bangor as northern Maine the folks 200 miles north of Bangor squeal foul. :D
This is especially true with a Northern Paper's editor who talks about it in every other editor's comments section. ;D (he is from my hometown)
Aroostook, known as the "County" is somewhat different from the Southern parts but probably similiar to Western Maine in many aspects.
The taxes on personal property equipment is the one tax that really makes me go bonkers.

Paul_H

Quote from: SwampDonkey on December 07, 2008, 04:14:27 PM
like many provinces look at Maritimers with a lot of false stigmas.

Bill,

I've always had an admiration for the Maritimers,I think they are a hearty bunch.They just talk funny,that's all  ;D
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

This one types too much sometimes. Never says a whole lot though.  ;)

pappy

wkheathjr,

See if I can answer them Q's right , ;)

Ramblin's #1>>

LURC makes / rights all the land use regulations for the entire state and the towns ( organized and unorganized ) organized towns can add to it but they can't take away from it..
Start here with the "reference materials" heading; 
http://www.maine.gov/doc/lurc/index.shtml
A bit of a heads up with shore land regs, you can't build any closer to the water (lakes) than 125 feet and must be concealed by the vegetation from the waterway !! I think you can build closer to stream and river banks but you still must be consealed... Just read the shore land zoning rules ....

Ramblin's#2>>

Every town requires a building permit,, organized or not but in the unorganized towns you have to go through LURC and that can take some time so plan ahead,, you're dealing with the state gooberment  :(   ...... You'll also need to have a soil scientist do a perk test and design a septic system before they'll give you a building permit...
Most if not all towns don't have any regs for using a chain saw !! that's an aboriginal right in ME.  ;D ... You can cut your own trees saw them up and in most places build your own house with the wood you sawed on your own mill  8) ... With logging you need a state licensed forester to do a cut plan only if you're gonna sell the lumber ... I've read somewhere recently that the legislature has passed a bill for building codes are / or will be for towns with a population of 1200 people or more??  Don't hold me to that one though ?? 

Ramblin's #3>>

In my little town if you move more than a 1,000 yards of dirt you need a permit... Again that goes by town... So check with the town you're thinking of locating to... So be aware of the shore land zoning rules and regs i.e. lake front,river and stream flowages...

Ramblin's 4>>

"What is weather like in north Maine?"

Summer at times 90's F and winta -40F plenty of rain and wind ta help cool it off even more in da winta,,, Scared yet ??  :D I've seen wind chills down to -96F below da donut..  :o
Depends what you call northern ME ?? Some call anything above Augusta north,, get it right north to the real northerners of ME say the Lexis line (Northern Mass) is all the way up to Lincoln now ::) I say anything north of Patten is the "real" northern Maine... Bangor is not northern ME it's central  :D ... The state is somewhere around 400 miles long north to south so weather is quite different from one end to the other   :o

Yup we got weather, (up in the County that is) I've seen it spittin' snow in July and rainin' in January.. In reality though the "staying snows" will start in November and last till April with the lakes ice out in the beginning / middle of May... The  Fish River chain of lakes up this way just started icing over Friday night ...
To keep an eye on the weather up this way take a peak at this site,, I see it's 7 F and winds around 15 mph steady today,, yup it's December up in the County !!
http://crownweather.com/carpqiforecast.html

Ramblin's #5>>

"Tell me about snowmobile activities I was hearing about!"

If you gonna live up here and don't want to get "cabin fever" get yourself one !! and maybe an ice shack, ice traps, ice auger, lots'a warm clothing,  1200 gram Rocky boots , about 20 - 30 pair of gloves etc. , etc... ;) 

A few links ;
http://www.mesnow.com/
http://www.sledmaine.com/
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/index.php?showforum=62

Just a few extra sense  ;)

"I do have a beach property "

Don't sell that to quickly as most folks up this way will trade,rent,beg borrow from you for a few weeks away from up here in the winta time  ;D might even keep the cost of you holding onto the place... :P

"slowly becoming unbearable for me I spend most of my summer indoor that I get sick of it."

Sounds just like the exact opposite for the winta months up dis way  :D

"I thought what better than to find a place that stay cool during the summertime so I can be more active like being outdoor and having fun than staying indoor in the AC."

That'll work just fine !! A place up north to get you outa da heat and a warm place down south to get you outa da big chill time... Sounds like a win win to me  8)

Flies:
They all bite !!!!  :o The nosee'ms will keep you up all night if you leave the lights on  ,, blacks flies will bite you all day long while working,, the mosquito's bite mostly in the evening at happy hour,, and the horse flies will torment you during strawberry picking time and the moose flies will get ya when you're out brook fishing... BUT !!! we don't have any ticks or dem slender slippery slider reptiles that could kill ya  8) just the cute lil' Garner snakes  ;) kids love em,, well the lil' boys anyway  ;D

"electric/water connect, Phone(DSL?), any cable service(High-Speed?), etc."

Nearer to most of the settlements will have access to these...

If'n ya got more ta know about just fire away ....

Salut, Peace,
Tim

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Mooseherder

pappy

Quote from: Mooseherder on December 08, 2008, 03:24:53 PM
Pappy,  I'm sold. :D

You're to easy  ;D Butt I new dat  ;) I also guts a bridge in the salt flats fur sale you interested?? 
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Mooseherder

Quote from: pappy on December 08, 2008, 03:42:01 PM
Quote from: Mooseherder on December 08, 2008, 03:24:53 PM
Pappy,  I'm sold. :D

You're to easy  ;D Butt I new dat  ;) I also guts a bridge in the salt flats fur sale you interested?? 

I'll trade ya some Mooseless swamp land.  ;D

pappy

Deal ,, maybe  ;)

Butt MH I still like the frozen variety better  ;) frozen swap is easier ta walk about on :) make me an offer I can't refuse  :)

I wouldn't trade the world for where we hang our hats  :-X  froze, flies, and forgotten works for me  ;) til the arthritis kicks in anyway !!! and then I might be in- ter-rest-ted in the salt water and to much sun  :-*

nah they'll find me like Carlton H. with me dead frozen fingers  :D

may all your trees be prune pref and the flies ain't bitin when it's time for fiddle heading   ;)

salut and peace,
Tim

wkheathjr

Pappy, thank for very informative post and the bug situation doesn't scare me off..  My friend and I are drooling over the idea of moving up there but we figure to wait until around April to go up there and see the property for ourselves in person.  We felt it is more wiser to be throughout than to let the emotional get best of us and end up making a bad choice.

beav39

maine is a great place to live,been here all my life !yes taxes are high and winter is tough but its winter .as far as set backs you need to be 250 ft back from any pond or lake to build.this is a state law.towns however,have there own rules and may require different set back.you can cut your trees,if they are for your use you do not need to to be certified,if you plan on selling you timber to local mills most will want you to be.it is 500.00 to take the class.please feel free to ask more questions i am pretty well up to date on current building.codes and such       scot
sawdust in the blood

thecfarm

I can cut wood and sell it to any mill without being certified,because it is my land.Or could a few years ago.If I was to cut on someplace besides my own,than that's a whole different story.Have to cut a number from the state to report any timber sales.Very easy form to fill out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_S.

Quote from: wkheathjr on November 29, 2008, 09:08:37 AM
Am thinking of buying a land up there..  wooded land with access to lake. 

4) What is weather like in north Maine?  When does it start snowing? How long does it last? How bad can it get?  I used to live in Rochester NY and I can remember the winter being brutally but I have no experience living in the country during the whole winter.  I might have to be ready to leave for south if it get bad for me the first year  :D.

5) Tell me about snowmobile activities I was hearing about!

wkheathjr, did you make a decision yet?
I just got back from a 3 week stay in northern Maine and I am here to tell you it was not fun. Take the worst winter you experienced here in Rochester and double it. High temp one week straight was 0°, snow was hip deep, starting the trucks was a daily crapshoot and the fuel in the ATV gelled even with additive. Hard enough to work in that weather, but then we had to tiptoe across the countryside so we didn't mess up the snowmobile trails which run everywhere. I think there are more sleds than actual people up there. I have to hand it to you Maine inhabitants, you're better men (and women) than I.

pappy

Yup one sled ain't enough we got 3 and there's only two of us  ;D ( actually one is an antique)

It has been rather cool last couple months or so up 'round these parts and here's some proof.  :o

The in / out ther mo meter inside the house   :-\

da dial one hangin' on the shop wall..  :-\

and the in / out digital one inside the shop... 80 degree  difference  :-\

Needless ta say that our wood pile took hell this winter... It's gonna be real close for the house this winter... I don't see any "Gore Warming" up in these parts..  ::)

Nancbee

wkheathjr,
I was born in NH but it wasn't my fault. I've lived in and around Bangor, ME all but 4 of my 50+ years of my life. My husband and I have owned 2 cottages on Beech Hill Pond outside Ellsworth for 20+ years. Let me tell you about living in Maine!
I HATE Winter! But that's only since I've discovered how much I love to play golf.

The spring and summer in Maine, although shorter than NC, is glorious with warm to hot days of 70s and 80s. We might see a week of 90's in late July, early August! Living on a lake in the summer is warm days where you swim, boat, fish, and enjoy the sunshine and cool nights (50's and 60's) where a blanket isn't far away. It's a wonderful life for families. Maine is quiet, full of friendly people who care about their neighbors but understand about privacy, too. People care about the land and the protection of water quality, etc. Again, they appreciate privacy, too!

It's great to live here but I'm ready to trade places with you in NC from Dec thru March!

Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager
Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

SwampDonkey

Yes, even this morning was another big fat 0 on the thermo-ma-bob. But it is now almost 20 F, it sure warmed up fast since 8:00 am....geez  :-\

I'd never give up this place for anything though. I'm not in Maine, but all that separates me from there is a treaty. ;D

Tim L

You bein born in NH wasn't our fault either!

Nancbee

Didn't say it was! It's the old Maine joke about the definition of being "from away" If you're not born in Maine, you are always "from away" no matter how long you live in Maine.

If your cat had kittens in the oven, would you call them biscuits?
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager

Tim L

If a man speaks in the forest and no women hear him is he still wrong?

Remember me? We rode a plane to Houston years ago. Thats how I subscribed to Sawmill & Woodlot.

Nancbee

Yes, I do remember you. And of course, yes, you would still be wrong!

Smart man wakes in the morning, turns to his wife and says, "Yes, dear, you're right, I'm sorry." Then he's set for another day!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager

Tim L

Tom

What a pleasure to have you posting again, Nancbee :)

Tim L

I spoke with Walter in Manchester last week . Did you attend? I think we spoke last in VT. 2 years ago

Nancbee

Thanks, Tom for noticing me! I have found a topic I can run on about!

Tim, the only show I'll be attending this year is our SAWLEX in Morgantown, WV May 29-30. Put it on your calendar and I'll see you there!
Nancy B. Limberis
Circulation Manager

SwampDonkey

Straighten him out while your down there Nancbee. Nice to see your typing. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!