iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sandblasting 353

Started by sandersen, September 21, 2015, 02:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandersen

Anybody ever sandblasted a 353 when trying to restore it and make it look real nice...or is it too dangerous with sand getting into places it shouldn't.  Any other methods that work to get ready for the new green paint.  I pulled mine over the weekend and want to go through it and then make it shine like new.   
"Make every step count."

jd540b

I lifted my block right into a parts washer (kept it on the chain fall) and cleaned it up really well.  Worked great and came out looking like new.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/25304/image~10.jpg

treeslayer2003

i wouldn't blast a running engine, sand will get every where.

lopet

X 2 on the parts washer.  Nothing wrong with making something look like new, but it only makes sense if she has no leaks.  ;D  That's just me.  :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

BargeMonkey

If your doing a complete tear down blast away, if it's a running engine your just cleaning up you may end it's life prematurely. I made a 6V53 look factory new the other day with a can of spray paint, quickest way to rebuild a detroit.  :D.  A few good pinches of sand blasting grit stuck in rings and ports and you can kiss it all good bye, I would be super careful.

sandersen

Thanks guys that confirms what I thought about sand blasting...I wasn't too keen on it in the first place.  I'm gonna take my time and use brushes and mineral oil and elbow grease to clean it all up.  There's rust on the block from sitting but a wire wheel and some time should do it.  Right now I'm more focused on making sure it runs right and doesn't leak before reinstalling.  Lots of work ahead but it's fun.
"Make every step count."

tantoy

I used about 5 gallons of this stuff in a garden sprayer and then pressure washing when I repainted my skidder. I was happy with how it worked and was paint ready when it dried.
I would not sandblast a running engine.

1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

Puffergas

I never would sand blast but like to hot tank the block and head.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

sandersen

Thanks...if I could end up with a 353 like tantoys or jdb540 I'd be stoked.  Lookin pretty is second to running pretty but it's still nice to have both.  I have some pics to post if I can remember how I will.
"Make every step count."

whitepine2

Try oven cleaner in the hard to get to places,haved used it to restore old one lungers
somewhat dozes a good job.

ga jones

Don't you have engine shops around? Take it to them. Hot tank removes everything
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Thank You Sponsors!