iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post-framing suppliers?

Started by PlicketyCat, March 12, 2010, 11:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlicketyCat

OK - due to our permafrost issue, the recommended foundation in the area is to spread a gravel pad on undisturbed ground, lay down a concrete paver, put a concrete pier on that, and then attach your posts so that your super-insulated floor is elevated at least 24" from the ground over an open crawlspace.   It's either that, or dig 48" and hope you get below the frost line without hitting any permafrost on any of your posts and that you don't develop ice lenses anywhere near your posts or the house itself.

The cabin isn't huge - 16x24, 1 story with a loft under a gambrel roof. Posts are 8x8 & beams are 6x12  and this time they're mechanical laminations with dimensional lumber since we can't get heavy/long solid timber down the trail yet and we're not set up to harvest and mill our own just yet.

Surface/on-grade (not even "shallow") foundations can suffer a little from frost heave, so we anticipate that we'll probably need to relevel the beams in the spring and fall. Problem is that I can't seem to find any heavy duty leveling jacks that will accept an 8x8 post. All the ones I keep finding are tiny ones for decks on a 4x4 post and really aren't meant for periodic/dynamic releveling so much as making construction leveling a little easier.

Anyone have a source or brand for heavy timber leveling jacks? Do you think post settling jacks used in log homes would work instead?

Also, we have the whole seismic issue... really fun designing for that when you aren't embedded in the ground. Looking into earth anchors to compensate for the surface piers... anyone have any recommendations?  We're going to have to suck it up and buy seismic strapping/connectors to reinforce the joints, at least on the post/sill and the plate/rafter connections. We're looking at Stimpson strong-tie for those and working around the size factor in other ways, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has used other brands.

Thx :)

(P.S. I'll have my designs finalized soon and will post up screenshots & closeups of the SketchUp model for everyone to critique LOL)
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

Rooster

Hey PC,

Are you building this structure on sill beams?

Have you looked at Ellis timber jacks?

http://www.ellisok.com/ellisok/timberjackproducts_screwjacks.html

They make ones for 6x6s, that you could just drill out a hole to receive the recessed jack screw.

Rooster

PS  I like your blog!
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

PlicketyCat

Howdy Rooster - looks like it's the same two screw jacks that we found earlier... the Ellis and the Nortek (http://www.nortekcopperworks.com/nortek_lg_leveler.htm).  The Norteks have the added bonus of an additional seismic locking cap that counters uplift (necessary in our D1 seismic zone with 90 mph winds).  Either one of these jacks should work fine for our application, although I don't relish the thought of boring 6-12" into a pressure treated post. That's definitely a job for the power drill with an auger bit and about 5 gallons of gas for the generator! The trick is keeping the hole straight and plumb... hmmm, these are the days when I wish I had a big drill press  ::)

Yes, we'll be building on sill beams.

And I forgot to mention that we're also having an enclosed porch on the east side and an open carport on the west side.  The main roof is 60° & 30°, and the side projections are 15°... should be fun matching all those angles up without leaks since I'm a tad "constructionally challenged" at times smiley_headscratch
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: PlicketyCat on March 13, 2010, 02:34:25 AM
I don't relish the thought of boring 6-12" into a pressure treated post. That's definitely a job for the power drill with an auger bit and about 5 gallons of gas for the generator! The trick is keeping the hole straight and plumb... hmmm,

To overcome  the generator problem you should get a antique boring machine. It uses human power. And when used it holds the bit 90° to the surface it sits on in two directions, left to right and front to back.

If it was me and I had to bore a hole in the end of a post, I'd rig up some type of platform that I could set the boring machine on and then place a post up under the platform so that it is plumb and 90° to the surface of the platform. That way I could bore the end of the post down by sitting on the machine and using a very long shank boring machine bit.

Here is a shot of us using one to bore a hole through a round oak log that we were going to use as the drum for our windlass. This was a drum or "beef roll" we found in the dump that some one had thrown away.

We had to rig up a bracket to get a flat surface to work off of and it did the job....

You could do something similar and bore your posts....

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

PlicketyCat

Jim - I would love to have one of those boring machines! I've been looking for one all over since I think they do a much better & safer job of boring large holes in big timber than an electric with an auger bit attachment. Hand-held power drills apparently like to try to twist around and break my wrists on difficult jobs! Fixing up a jig for power drill to keep the hole square and plumb will take a little finesse, but it's not insurmountable.  But I'd much rather get a boring maching... now if I could only find one :(

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: PlicketyCat on March 13, 2010, 05:00:51 PM
now if I could only find one :)

There is a list of currently available boring machines in the for sale section of this forum site.

Here is a link to that thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,42552.0.html

We'd be happy to help you.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logman

Timberlinx makes a jig that clamps on the end of a timber for drilling.  Timberlinx connectors may be something you can check out also for what you are doing.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

PlicketyCat

Jim - I keep forgetting about the For Sale section.  I'll check it out.

Logman - I checked out the Timberlinx system, looks pretty nifty.

Thank You Sponsors!