iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern White Pine and weevil damage- Possible to find a market other then Pulp?

Started by Ranger_School09, September 16, 2008, 09:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger_School09

I am in the Process of writing a management plan for my 80 acre property. There is a stand of EWP approx 10 acres, in a two tier canopy and age classes mixed together. The larger stems are in the 70-80cm class and the smaller are in the 20-40cm range. The smaller of the two sizes have extensive weevil damage and need to be cut out, this occured some time ago before I aqquired the property. Besides pulpwood are there any alternative markets for weevil affected white pine and where someone could get ahold of them?

Josh

mad dog

I have a 5 acre white pine plantation with the same problem,My Forester only wants Me working in there in the winter, I also did not know what I was going to do with the saw logs,till I bought a saw mill. Can't wait till winter 8) 8)
mad dog 78 acres,pasqualli tractor,L-15 woodmiser

thecfarm

Ranger,welcome to the forum.Update your profile so we know where you live.Might help if we know where you are from.
By the way,are you writing the plan? Did you go to school for this?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Scott

Check with your local conservation district forester, dnr service forester, consulting forester, and with local mills to see what the markets and prices are for white pine products  in you area.

The larger better formed white pine should produce sawlogs, and the poorly formed and smaller poorly formed trees should produce pulpwood and chipwood if you have local markets for these white pine products.

~Ron

SwampDonkey

I'm just guessing, but probably his location is either NB or NS. Since he's using Ranger School in his user name I would guess NB. If so, contact your local Forest Products Marketing Board for markets and specs. If the weeviled trees have enough clear bole, like 8 foot or more than maybe you could call a portable saw miller. You may be able to sell the lumber to a broker or larger mill. The white pine market is quite sticky and the best price demand almost perfect logs. If you have a sizable quantity, maybe you can contact a Mill or marketing board staff to see your timber. Hate for work for nothing, pulp price is barely acceptable even if it's your own wood. Mid fall is about the best time to harvest them and hopefully moved or milled and stickered before spring, before stain and bugs get at it. I was just thumbing through my local marketing board price list and don't see any pulp market for my area.

Check http://www.ysc.nb.ca or http://www.snbwc.ca for southern NB markets.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

routestep

Not too far from my lot up in Maine there is a Christmas wreath factory. The plant uses Fir tips and EWP tips to turn into Christmas decorations. If your white pine trees have become white pine bushes then your have a great source for tips while you decide what else to do with them. The season starts in October and ends in early December for tips. I've cut down small Firs for spacing and tip it bare. You might do the same with your pines.

So it depends on where your lot is and if you have a factory close enough to make it worth while - unless you start your own.

SwampDonkey

One of the mills in Maine is now taking pine for pulp. I'm not sure if they are taking soft pine though. Have to call some of the mills, I have the phone numbers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ranger_School09

Thanks all for the posts, and for those who mentioned it I am from NB, the property is in the French Lake area (about 15 minutes outside of Fredericton) I am a Forest Tech by trade and will be writing this plan along with 3 other techs. Besides conventional uses of pine are any of you aware of non conventional uses or specialty markets for EWP?

Cheers and thanks again

Thank You Sponsors!