iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

deere 440a winch trouble

Started by thumper, April 26, 2015, 01:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumper

one very cold morning, i noticed a different noise coming from the winch as i was rigging up my twitch.  i pulled the cable in and drove to the yard.  the winch holds and pulls great, but when i put the control to freespool, the winch drum kinda chatters and the cable pulls out very hard. i decided to try a filter and check the oil (no change) and found there is oil way over the check plug level.  any ideas guys? winch has worked excellent for the past 5yrs.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Firewoodjoe

Water. Generally a fillter will fix but may need to drain and replace. Then go from there.

thumper

water was my first thought. but the oil thats pouring out of the check plug is nice looking and not milky??
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

grassfed

Well there is no way for more oil to enter the winch unless someone overfilled it because winch oil is separate.

Just make sure it is hydraulic/trans (JD Hy-Gard or similar)  oil not heavy gear oil. You said it was cold and JD says that you can use Hy-Gard lite viscosity if it is too cold.

The hydraulic pump is on the bottom inside the winch I had a problem once with a small piece of plastic clogging my pump pickup screen.

You need hydraulic pressure to release the brake and let the winch free spool.

There are different Hydraulic controls/spools depending on the manufacture date. I have one that has a spool attached to the back of the winch. This spool is cable operated by a lever in the "cab". On these spools you can adjust the relief pressure with a screw on top of the spool.

There are other adjustments too and the JD manual is pretty good at describing how to set the winch up/troubleshoot. You should be able to get a PDF version of a shop manual online at jdparts.com if you need one.
Mike

Thank You Sponsors!