iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs

Started by johnnydeere99, November 26, 2019, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

YH,

It is not the actor, it is the character, and you sure are a character  ;D.  Anybody who can catch tuna in Guntersville Lake has to be :D.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Tuna or Shrimp?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

K-Guy

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2019, 08:44:39 PMI don't look like Tom Hanks.  Tom Cruise maybe.  Or Mel Gibson...

Red Skelton maybe??!! :D;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

alan gage

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2019, 08:44:39 PM
I don't look like Tom Hanks.  Tom Cruise maybe.  Or Mel Gibson... :D :D :D
Those guys are way too short. How about Kramer?
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Tom the Sawyer

Had a visit yesterday with a local property owner who was having two walnuts cut down (at the City's suggestion).  I don't normally fetch logs but they were close and I told him that I would give him $75 for the two, 8' logs (150bf), if there was no metal stain (not likely).  Today he called to tell me they were down, but he needed $250 because the tree guys told him they were worth much more.  I thanked him, told him I was not interested.  Maybe the tree guys will buy them. :)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

I totally agree with your response. Too many busy-bodies in the world mess things up for everybody. I'd have also told him they were not worth that to me but I'd be glad to saw them for him at my normal rate and he could process and sell the lumber himself.

BTW - whatcha wanna bet he calls back in a few months after the logs have already started to check, split, etc to take you up on your original offer?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

This is rich Tom. I think I would have told him 'no thanks, call me when you need to mow the grass and you can't get anybody to haul them to the dump. I won't charge much for hauling.'
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Tom the Sawyer

Apparently, around here I'm not just the last resort for selling logs, I'm the only resort.  Those logs may lay there until the City threatens him, but I wouldn't go get them now.  Just one of my faults, but if my offer wasn't good enough, we are done.  

It is possible that the logs may end up here.  I don't know who did his tree work but I do buy logs, delivered here, from tree guys, although if it was someone I had bought from before, they would have a more realistic idea as to the value.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

WV Sawmiller

I had a neighbor bring me a load of walnut and wanted me to saw on shares. I was not in a position to do so at the time and offered to saw regular rate. He took them to a neighbor up the road half a mile with an LT10 who said he'd saw them cheaper than my rate. I drove past those logs  for a solid year as they were right next to the road. Finally the neighbor came back and asked me to saw them and I said I would and could even saw on halves if he wanted as my storage issues had improved. He did and I did. I divided the logs and even let him pick his stack since he wanted a mantel out of one of them. We both left happy but the cheap option is not always cheap.

My wife is a free lance photographer and we vacationed in remote areas of Africa, Mongolia and the Amazon and such. One trick she learned was taking a portable picture printer (Battery powered so we could pack it in) and give people a picture. We made lots of friends and side by side with National Geographic we got access to people's homes they did not. (She got to ride an Asian camel and I rode a yak and got horse milk to drink because we gave a new friend a picture). I don't know how many times busy bodies would interject themselves after we offered to give somebody a picture in exchange for taking a picture of them. The BB would come in and say we needed to pay too which we would not do so often the person wanting the picture got nothing because her "agents" convinced her she should get more so she got nothing.

I'd have told your seller to go sell his logs to the tree people.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

YellowHammer

Quote from: alan gage on December 04, 2019, 10:44:46 AM
Quote from: YellowHammer on December 03, 2019, 08:44:39 PM
I don't look like Tom Hanks.  Tom Cruise maybe.  Or Mel Gibson... :D :D :D
Those guys are way too short. How about Kramer?
Alan
Maybe John Wayne?  

@WDH,  Who, me, a character?  Naw, I'm one of those guys who just naturally blends in with the crowd.   :D
Tom, That's the kind of guy I'm talking about, or rather don't even want to talk to, in the first place.  I wouldn't take those logs for free, except for him to watch me roll them into the burn pit.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 04, 2019, 10:55:14 PMNaw, I'm one of those guys who just naturally blends in with the crowd.  

As long as that crowd is composed of NBA players.  :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

Here are two characters.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

I like that peg legged pirate guy.  Maybe if he had a sawmill he could saw himself out a new leg.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

A guy on Facebook had a walnut log and I inquired.  He said that it was 18" across.  I asked for a pic and he send several.  Turned out to be that highly valuable mockernut hickory walnut :D. 

YellowHammer

That's the guy!  He's here too, everywhere, saying hickory is walnut.

"It's got to be a walnut, it drops these big, black nuts". It's a hickory.  

"It's got to be a walnut, it's straight as an arrow and I have hundreds of them."  It's a hickory.

"I can't be a hickory, it looks like a walnut."  It's a hickory. 

"My neighbor is an idiot, he burned all his walnut for firewood last year."  It's a hickory.

"It can't be a hickory, the guy I bought it from says it a walnut."  It's a hickory.  

Believe it or not, some of these guys are so persistent, I have @WDH on speed dial, and I say "If you don't believe me, believe this guy, he's a professional."  In that case, nope, it's an ash. :D

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WDH

I blame all this ashing around on Southside.

My walnut hickory guy was persistent too.  

I did not know that there was such a thing as speed dial anymore :)

Magicman

Just for reference, this is a trailer load of Highly Valuable Walnut logs.

When I am sawing "hourly rate" it does not matter; large, small, short, or tall, I saw them all and had a "Goat Note" in my pocket when I got back home.

This was one of the very rare instances when a customer brought his "logs" to me.  Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ??? in Sawmills and Milling
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Walking away with a Goat Note sure made that a highly valuable load of walnut logs, at least to you it was!! 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

Walnut hickory guy has a brother, "white oak poplar" guy and they have a sister.  Her name is "can you saw this stick into lumber girl."  Their cousin is "I have a cedar".  They all have a neighbor with a sawmill that will pay them just for the privilege to saw their high value trees into lumber worth millions.

Sorry for the sarcasm, I just got through explaining to a guy why I won't pay a tree service $5,600 to cut down the walnut trees in his yard.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

YellowHammer

I get a lot of the "Payem" brothers also.  I think it's a strategy of the tree cutters to convince the land owners that they can sell the logs to help pay for the arborist service.  

YellowHammerisms:

stavebuyer

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 06, 2019, 12:42:22 PM
I get a lot of the "Payem" brothers also.  I think it's a strategy of the tree cutters to convince the land owners that they can sell the logs to help pay for the arborist service.  
and real estate agents....

SawyerTed

Quote from: YellowHammer on December 06, 2019, 12:42:22 PM
Yes!  It's a tree service ploy so they don't have to haul the heavy stuff to the landfill!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 06, 2019, 05:30:28 PM

Yes!  It's a tree service ploy so they don't have to haul the heavy stuff to the landfill!  
AH HA!!!! This explains what I never understood. "Why do they do this?" Now I have an explanation when I run up against this.

Thank You Sponsors!