iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wisconsin Engine - Anybody familiar with these?

Started by btulloh, April 02, 2018, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

I picked up an interesting log splitter last year and it had this Wisconsin engine on it.  I didn't think much of it at the time, but I've found that it's dependable, starts easy, and making its rated power pretty well.  Not sure how old it is.  I've gotten to where I really trust it.  I'm sure there are a lot of these out there, but it was something I'd never seen.

HM126

starmac

Some golf carts had the robin engine in them, I have been around the larger wisconsins quite a bit, the robins, not so much.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Savannahdan

Yazoo mowers used those.  One of my brothers had one that lasted for years before he couldn't get parts for it and bought a zero turn.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

Very good engines... You can get parts on E-bay. Other country's still use them a lot. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sawguy21

I installed and serviced them in the 80's, they were very good engines and popular with contractors due to their reliability. Later became Robin-Subaru but that disappeared just over a year ago.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Kbeitz

As of December 13, 2016, Subaru Industrial Power Products was acquired by Yamaha Motor Corp., USA
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

Great motors.  I used to own several machines that had these for motors.  We would all be very lucky if they were still available new, although many probably wouldn't pay the premium.  I would.

Very rebuildable, too, with parts mostly still available.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

btulloh

Interesting stuff.  This one has been quite dependable so far and seems to be in good shape.  It sure is a cut above other engines of it's era.  It's like a Honda.  It sure runs quiet too.  Must be well made and well balanced.
HM126

bags

Bandmill Bandit

I owned more then few Wisconsin engines over the years. JD, Massy and NH balers, Versatile and Renn swathers. Versatile and Westfield grain augers, Rupp water pumps, bale elevators, etc.

Grandpa had a commercial 2 wheel garden tractor that had more attachments than you could think of INCLUDING a 2 row potato planter and a single row digger, a 5 foot sickle bar mower and a tumble rake that I think he actually converted to use with that 2 wheel tractor.

If I remember right it had a little 2 wheel trailer with a steel tractor seat and set of motor cycle foot pegs on it that he hooked behind the implement in use quite often so he could sit.

Had a 2 cylinder Wisconsin with a large hand wheel for starting. It had a unique "quirk" to get it started. You had to turn it over backward till you turned one cylinder through a compression stroke and then give it a flip forward and it would start first time about 9 times out of 10. I think it was 20 ish HP. (Dad says was a single cylinder 10HP. The 20 HP 2 cylinder that needed the backward turn was on a Massey baler.)  

Owned 3 or 4 of the V 4s too! All in all they were a very reliable engine. Could be a bit cantankerous at times but mostly from needing a tune up. They ran many long hard days in conditions that many engines simply would not stand up too.      

I think there are still a couple of them in one of the sheds at my dads place.      

Just talked to my Dad. He said his Granpa Simon bought that 2 wheel walking tractor in Walla Walla WA in 1949. Said the dealer needed to order 3 of them to get the dealer ship for them, so his Grandpa and his Uncle Harold bought 6 of them. Uncle Harold kept 2 in Walla Walla and his Grandpa brought 4 of them to Alberta and sold 3 to the local Hutterite colonies.

Thats where ours ended up too and Dad says the Hutterites still use them in their market gardens. Dad says they have built all kinds of attachments for them and are stili running them with the Wisconsin engine at the the colony that is his neighbor.        
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

starmac

I never knew the history on the robins, but considered them an offshoot of a sort instead of a genuine wisconsin. They were not near as heavy built. Maybe just light duty wisconsins?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Cactusrfd07

What brand log splitter is that ive got the same one but looking to see who makes it. Thanks!!! 

Steve Crook

have one on a portable welder.  has electric starter and runs good. to bad the welder generator quit.  another someday repair project.

Skip

They used to run the salt spreaders on the back of old State Road (DOH) trucks back in the day . Never knew if they were running  or not unless you got out and looked. >:( :D   (Most times they were) Bullet proof.

TroyC

I think yours is older than mine. This one came off a pressure washer. Pump went bad but I kept engine. Was probably built in the 80's. I got it used and it worked many years for me. I rebuilt several of them from cement mixers in the early 80's. If they had kept the air filters on them they probably wound not have needed the rebuild.

No market for them since you can get a Predator for 119.00. Don't think the Predators will last 40 years though. If anyone needs this one you can have it but you will have to come get it!

sawguy21

Thanks for the offer but I will have to pass. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

TroyC

sawguy21

"old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm"

My saying to the kids when I taught school was
"old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery".  Worked most of the time 8)

Thank You Sponsors!