iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Bats

Started by Ron Scott, December 19, 2008, 01:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

With all the concern about bats being a weapon, I wonder how many instances have occurred where a student used one as such.  Somehow, I think that it is probably the slanted idea of some old fogy schoolteacher or principal that started the fear, as the result of the logic of a Liberal Arts mind.  :-\

shinnlinger

Sort of related to silly rules, We have had a c- or higher prerequisite in intro to woods in order to take the higher level courses for years.  This has worked very well for us as we only get the kids (for the most part) that want to actually be productive in the shop.  Enrollment has not been a problem for me or I might have thought about lowering it.

Anywhoo a guidance counselor gets all upset that I gave his kid a D last semester (even though I brought it to his attention that this kids was struggling) and challenges the long standing prerequisite and talks administation into waiving it (none of them have ever stepped foot in the shop) for a kid that didn't show up very much and wanted to sleep when he did.  The only reason he passed it at all is I dragged him through his final project.  Not the kind of kid you would want as your partner in drawer building which we are now doing in Woods Fabrication.  BUt anyway I now have to endure this kids semantics for another semester only this time he is poised to bring some of his classmates down with him.  I think I will be less likley to force him to participate this time.

NOt much to do with bats I realize but I needed to vent...thanks folks....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

SwampDonkey

I seen what results when mom and dad influences the grades. It produces a university flunky where mom and dad don't have allies to influence the marks any longer.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

cheyenne

Some people don't want to learn, some people can't be taught, most parents don't care. Wecome to the democratic drug infested welfare state  >:( >:( >:( Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

Thank You Sponsors!