iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Malathon and powder post beetles

Started by Beavertooth, June 28, 2018, 03:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

Will Malathon sprayed on freshly sawn and stacked lumber keep powder post beetles from getting into it as it dries. 
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

WDH

Why not use disodium octaborate tetrahydrate?  It is safe for humans and animals.  It is what is used to prevent insect infestation in wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Malathion is pretty mean stuff, I know people who have gone to the hospital when overexposed to it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

longtime lurker

yeah it'll work.

Malathion is reasonably safe (when mixed as directed and sprayed according to instructions etc etc etc). as poisons go it's not tooo bad, but it should be handled with care. Repeat exposure does present risks and as with all effective insecticides well - its a substance designed to kill living things so treat with care.

I second borates, subject to proper application and storage where it wont be subject to leaching. Other then that I'd suggest Pounce 500 in kerosene for something that needs some rainfast about it.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Thank You Sponsors!