iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manjisann's Chainsaw Milling Adventures

Started by ManjiSann, October 31, 2019, 09:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: ManjiSann on December 03, 2019, 09:51:32 AMsing denatured alcohol, soak the cookie in it and the alcohol displaces the water but doesn't cause cracking

For alcohol, anti-freeze is supposed to be good (but toxic).  I think I read you could use RV anti-freeze (used in the water system) that is non-toxic and not too expensive.  Might be worth a try.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ManjiSann

7 or 8 years ago I was going to build a nice wood working table. Got the top done, no longer have it but along the way I had purchased or inherited a number of tools. They've been in this tote since then

Pulled them out, they look to be in as good a condition as when I packed them away  8)  Even found I had a few I don't remember buying, bonus!

Now the hard part, where to store them all so they are easy to get to but out of the way. Good thing I still have a bunch of those locust stickers I cut, they worked great for the chisels

Not sure where everything will end up ultimately but for now they can hang out in the "man cave". Who knows, might even keep me focused on finishing the basement sooner  :)

That's likely all the progress I'll make today as I have an interview in an hour, wish me luck!

Brandon
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

doc henderson

not sure if antifreeze would work.  it is ethylene glycol, and PEG is polyethylene glycol.  hooking all the molecules together makes it non toxic.  PEG has diff. concentrations, and dictates how long it has to soak.  I have used it, but expensive.  that is why denatured from Menards for 32 bucks for 5 gallons is how I have gone.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

First interview went well, well enough that I have the second one tomorrow  8) 8)  I'll know by Friday end of shift if I get the position, gotta love when they move fast  ;D

More milling related, got the Granberg sharpening jig. Took me a bit to figure out how to set it up and use it. It's not complicated and the instructions are pretty clear... clear enough that once I'd done it wrong for a bit and was thinking "dang I wish they'd have done this or that" and I looked at the pics real close it started to click. Seriously, not dogging them mostly poking fun at myself. I sharpened one chain to a 0deg, took a couple hours to do but all the cutters are the same size so I'm excited to see how it works. Going forward I'll reserve that chain for any milling that needs to be really nice since and I'll start converting cross cut chains as they need to be sharpened. Here's a pic of the jig

Well worth the money IMO.

Also worked on my boys room, nearly done with hanging the drywall. Started gluing the insulation around the window, should be able to frame it in here soon and get the rest of the drywall up.

All in all a decent day. Hopefully the weather clears enough soon so I can mill another of those logs.

Brandon 

ManjiSann

For anyone following the sub story, I had my second interview yesterday and I feel like I was prepared and did the best I've ever done on an interview. I feel like it was a solid showing of who I am and what I can bring to that position and I honestly think I'd do very well (doesn't everyone who applies? ;)). I was told they were going to have an answer by the end of the day... and then at end of day got an email saying they were going to have to delay giving an answer till next week  :( :(  AAARGH. I'm pretty sure I know why they delayed, some more candidates were applying that they really wanted to consider. A couple of them are fellow team mates so while I'm disappointed with the delay I'm glad my team mates are getting a chance. So now I get to wait...  :P

Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

I have been following that line and wish you the best of luck. Be happy it's not the company I worked for where it can take 4 week to hire an entry level person and over 6 months to hire management level. Sounds like your dealing with a fairly clear cut process anyway. It also sounds like this is for an internal position within your current company?
Anyway, best of luck. Find something to occupy your mind while you wait. Go hang some sheet rock or something. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

ManjiSann

They are moving on it fast, I shouldn't complain. I just hate the anticipation  :) :)

It's a temporary position within my current company, they call it a Temporary Development Opportunity. It's a good chance to try something new, learn a bunch of new stuff and possibly it can turn permanent but even if it doesn't, I become that much more skilled. I'm fortunate that I like what I do right now and if I don't get it it's not devastating other than to my ego.

While I feel a bit anxious about it for the most part I'm pretty zen. I guess I really do feel like I did the best I could which is all I can do. I'd be bummed if I didn't get it but I actually am pleased with the prep I did and my overall performance during the interview. 

I'll take your advice and work on my boys room or sharpen some more chains or something. I have no shortage of things I can do... usually just a shortage of ambition  :D :D

Brandon 

ManjiSann

Yesterday I was trying to decide, go and try to pick up more logs or mill the ones I have. I ultimately decided to stay home and mill what I had as the drive to pick up logs was an hour each way and they said it was mostly cottonwood. I'm interested in milling cottonwood but not right now. Too bad though, they had heavy equipment and would have loaded it in the back of my truck for me so I could have had longer logs. Awesome opportunity, not the right time for me. 

So I grabbed my newly sharpened chains and gear and started milling. I will say that Granberg jig is awesome!

I decided to do this log

First cut revealed nice wood

Rolled it on the side and set up for the next cut

Lots of cuts. I really need to get the 36" bar and jig made. I was half an inch to wide so grabbed the spare saw and shaved the side

I had to do some hack and slash to get it down to fit my set up which I end up regretting later

Here's why I regretted the crappy trim job

The coloring doesn't quite come through in the photo but in person it's really nice. I'm hoping once it dries I can sand and polish it and it'll be amazing

I was plugging along real smooth but ended up developing a rainbow in my cutting. Pretty sure it's due to entering the log and a bad angle. The weather was threatening to turn bad so I decided to go from the other side and just get narrower boards. I hated to lose the pretty figuring in the wood but there was only a couple more boards in it that way so it wasn't a huge loss. I think I ended up with 8 boards with the nice figuring in it. 

Sure cuts faster when you have a narrower log  ;D

Ended up with a lot of usable wood so I'm thrilled

This log did have some of the pith cracking like the other one so I did my best to rotate the log and mill with that in mind. It wasn't perfect but I feel it was an improvement.  All in all a good day  :)

Ljohnsaw

Nice looking stuff!  How long would you say it took you to mill that up?  Just curious as I think I could mill that on my band saw mill in half an hour, 45 minutes tops.  And probably 2 or 3 more boards due to the thinner kerf.  Not trying to sway you, but I think a band mill is in your future. ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Hilltop366

Glad the sharpening jig is working out for you!

ManjiSann

Quote from: ljohnsaw on December 11, 2019, 04:43:23 PM
Nice looking stuff!  How long would you say it took you to mill that up?  Just curious as I think I could mill that on my band saw mill in half an hour, 45 minutes tops.  And probably 2 or 3 more boards due to the thinner kerf.  Not trying to sway you, but I think a band mill is in your future. ;)
All told about 4 hours give or take. It is a lot more labor intensive and the kerf is definitely more wasteful but I'm happy with it for the time being :) It's perfect for the small stuff I do now and when I'm done it doesn't take up much room  ;D   
I won't say I'll never have a band mill, I certainly wouldn't turn one down if the chance arises. But I'm enjoying the chainsaw mill for now. 
Brandon 

ManjiSann

Last update on the sub story. I didn't get the position. 

While I don't like being told no for something I wanted I'm actually ok with not getting the position. The whole process got me thinking about moving up and gave me practice with interviewing. I feel I prepared very well for the interviews and can say without reservation that I did my best and I actually find that makes me feel ok about the whole thing. I'll be meeting with the supervisor that did the interviews to get feedback on what I did well and where I can improve so going forward I'm that much better. I also talked with a couple of my coworkers that applied for the same position and didn't get it and one of them commented that talking with me made him feel better about the whole situation so *shrug* All in all I feel it was a very positive experience and I feel rather optimistic going forward  8)  Thanks all for your support and well wishes on this one it meant a lot :)

Brandon 

doc henderson

It is tuff, but good experience.  We had a recent hire for manager, and the two folks were nearly equal on paper, one was older and she got it.  my input to the director was I could be happy with either one.  but only one position.  almost a flip of a coin.  I am sure you would have done a great job, but sometimes the move up, takes the fun out of it and grants a whole new set of concerns.  Best regards!  Doc
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

ManjiSann

Quote from: doc henderson on December 14, 2019, 10:51:40 AM
It is tuff, but good experience.  We had a recent hire for manager, and the two folks were nearly equal on paper, one was older and she got it.  my input to the director was I could be happy with either one.  but only one position.  almost a flip of a coin.  I am sure you would have done a great job, but sometimes the move up, takes the fun out of it and grants a whole new set of concerns.  Best regards!  Doc
Very true. 
Thanks Doc :)
Brandon

donbj

Quote from: ManjiSann on December 14, 2019, 08:49:20 AM
Last update on the sub story. I didn't get the position.

While I don't like being told no for something I wanted I'm actually ok with not getting the position. The whole process got me thinking about moving up and gave me practice with interviewing. I feel I prepared very well for the interviews and can say without reservation that I did my best and I actually find that makes me feel ok about the whole thing. I'll be meeting with the supervisor that did the interviews to get feedback on what I did well and where I can improve so going forward I'm that much better. I also talked with a couple of my coworkers that applied for the same position and didn't get it and one of them commented that talking with me made him feel better about the whole situation so *shrug* All in all I feel it was a very positive experience and I feel rather optimistic going forward  8)  Thanks all for your support and well wishes on this one it meant a lot :)

Brandon
That stuff does bite, but your attitude speaks volumes. That does not go unnoticed by those around you.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

JJ

Brandon,
A positive attitude will carry you 90% of the way into your next adventure.   Its the #1 thing I look for when I am interviewing candidates, as all the rest can be overcome with training, but positive can-do outlook cannot.   Keep the positive outlook, and good opportunities will come to you.   Like DocH said, it gets noticed just as much as a bad attitude which doesn't lead to any advancement.

Maybe it is a blessing as now you are not saddled in that temp position, leaving you free for your next opportunity, hopefully a permanent one.

JJ

SawyerTed

I like your thinking.  No need to over analyze the whys or be bitter.  It's good to know what to improve and then look to the future.

There have been a handful of jobs I interviewed for that I didn't get for one reason or another.  It didn't matter in the long run because I positioned myself for something else and moved forward.  Things always turned out better than I expected.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Nebraska

Sorry about the disappointment, it sounds like you've got it handled pretty well. I know I've read somewhere that "man glitter"  has healing powers. ;)

Old Greenhorn

Sorry about the job, but your attitude about the whole thing is just right. I have told myself as much when going through disappointment in the past. Believing it is tougher than saying it. Sounds like you believe it and it speaks a lot about your character. Good on you.  I hope you were able to get in some therapy time over the weekend.

When your boots look like this there is usually some sort of smile to go with it. :)
Keep on truckin'!
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

ManjiSann

Thanks all for the support and kind words, really it's appreciated! 

Nebraska, that must be IT! It's all the man glitter lately, I was healed!!!  8) 8)

OG Them boots have seem some miles :)  No therapy other than the milling on Wednesday but the boards were so nice that I'm still smiling. Fortunately I have other projects to keep me occupied while mother nature blesses us with moisture.

SawyerTed, you're absolutely right. Things always turn out better than I expected or could have planned for. Just have to be patient in the mean time, which isn't hard when you have a chainsaw :)
JJ, that's a really good point. Maybe I didn't get it because something more permanent is in the works  8)

donbj, you're right. Positiveity has a power of sorts for sure and people notice it.

Thanks again all. I'm fortunate that I like what I do now so not getting the position isn't some awful catastrophy. I'll work on improving some of my skills and when the next opportunity comes along I'll be that much better. I've already scheduled a followup with the hiring manager to discuss what I did well and where I can improve. No reason to waste valuable feedback.

Brandon 

ManjiSann

I think I'm going through FF withdrawls  ;)  I haven't done much in the way of milling though I did get the boards from the last adventure stacked and stickered. My little unfinished bathroom is getting a bit full. Smells good though  :)

I'm taking it a bit easy right now, sharpening the chains, trying to pinch a few pennies to buy a bit of kit for next year and working a bit here and there on the basement.

Figured it'd been a few weeks since I'd posted and wanted to wish all my FF friends a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! Hope everyone is safe and well.

Brandon 

Old Greenhorn

Hay @Manjisann ,you've been kinda quiet, whatcha been up to?

ManjiSann

Hey OG, just been a bit distracted with some stuff. Thanks for checkin in on me though :)

I did get some more work done on my sons room

I did use some of the waste cuts from the locust to build a frame to hang some peg boards on. Don't have a pic of it but I'll take one and post it when I have a chance. It's the first thing I've "built" with wood I milled  8) 8)  nothing to really get excited about but it's a cool progression in the man glitter madness  ;D ;D

Brandon

Old Greenhorn

Good on ya mate! Just keep moving forward. Get that done and you will have time when the weather improves to do the funner stuff. Speaking of which I am headed out to the shop now to reckon out my next conundrum. Keep on truckin'

doc henderson

Hey guys, I am smokin a pork butt for the ED Holiday party.  too busy over the actual holidays.  will have about 50 folks + family at our house.  stop by if you are in the neighborhood.  :D  have a great day!   8) 8) :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!