iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Claro Walnut?

Started by treebucker, May 29, 2007, 07:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treebucker

As I understand it Claro Walnut is a type of wood extracted from the graft union of English Walnut. At least that's what much of the web-based reference material says. Anyway I still have questions:
1- What type of tree is the root stock?
2- How far from the graft does the effect run and does it go in both directions?
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

TexasTimbers

I had often wondered about it too because I had heard conflicting defintions about what it actually is and I could never find a definition for it to my satisfaction. So I went looking again when I read your post here and came up with this at Woodfinder. It isn't a thesis but seems fairly informative to be so concise.

Claro Walnut
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

treebucker

Quote from: kevjay on May 30, 2007, 02:31:41 AM
I had often wondered about it too because I had heard conflicting defintions about what it actually is and I could never find a definition for it to my satisfaction. So I went looking again when I read your post here and came up with this at Woodfinder. It isn't a thesis but seems fairly informative to be so concise.

Claro Walnut
Same feeling here. And thanks for the link.

The English Walnut trees here took it on the chin when that late freeze hit. Some are coming back but only through epicormic budding. I was asking the question because I may end up with several stumps. I'm still wondering how far, and in what direction, the effect runs from the graft?

TexasTimbers

Everything I read pretty much says you won't find Claro outside of California Washington and Oregon some, but you have some there in Kentucky?

treebucker

I'm going out on a limb here. There could be different varieties or a climate thing that would make a distinction. I will probably cut it anyway. I'm just wondering where to buck the logs at.

TexasTimbers

In your case as close to the ground as is feasable and allowable I would say.

solodan

Claro Walnut is Juglans hindsii, or Hinds walnut, or Northern California black walnut.  Hinds Walnut is used for rootstock for English Walnuts.

Juglans hindsii

California walnut

so if you have English Walnuts that has been graft with a Hinds Walnut root stock, then yes you may get a small piece of Claro. I think that some of the root stock now being used though is hybrid or black walnut(Juglans nigra) and not really Hinds rootstock. You can clearly see where this graft is , cause the bark is different looking.

graft

treebucker

Thanks Solodan!

Those first and last links were dead when I checked them. But the strange thing is that I don't see where these English walnut trees were grafted.  smiley_headscratch Is it possible that it is not necessary to graft them to make them suitable for our area?

solodan

"yes, it would be quite possible that some hinds walnut was planted and grown out your way to produce usable root stock for english walnut orchards.

Left Coast Chris

Here are some pics showing the Claro (Calif. Black) and English Walnut graft union.  This pic is a slab on edge where a fairly fresh cut is to expose the grain:

Here is a Claro burl.  Note that the graft union is where it is necked down towards the top.

Note that the English Walnut is much lighter than the Claro but is nicely dense alot like your eastern butter nut.  The claro has color changes with some green and tones of very dark brown the closer to the root ball you go.  A straight claro tree with no burl will have straighter grain and just pure dark brown similar to the higher portions of the claro shown in the firstpic.  We have cut a fair amount from our orchard and it is great to work with but it takes some time to sand and finish since it is very dense.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

scsmith42

I'll say this for Claro - it's nigh near impossible to dry in a kiln (especially if it's over 4/4).  Just about all of it is air dried.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Left Coast Chris

It is so finiky for drying I have learned to cut it 5/4 for air drying.  I then partially tarp it to go as slow as possible for the best results.   Suposedly the gun manufacturers like air dried bolts so it sounds like there is indeed a problem with kiln drying it.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!