iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer wiring question for debarker/lube-mizer and auto-clutch

Started by Dan_Shade, March 30, 2008, 05:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I've looked a few things over, and am considering rewiring the "trigger" for the lube-mizer and debarker to the autoclutch switch.  Is there any reason that I shouldn't move the "trigger from the forward switch?

I'd really like to move at least the debarker, that way the debarker would only be running if the band was engaged.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

MartyParsons

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dan_Shade

on my LT40, wire 19 goes from forward drum switch terminal 2 to the lubemizer box and turns on the lubemizer pump when the drum switch is put into the "forward" position.  The debarker is turned on and off when the drum switch goes to forward as well, I consider the toggle switch on the front panel an "engaged" switch.

If I were to move the wires from the drum switch to the autoclutch toggle switch, would I be causing any unforeseen problems?

I see a few advantages to this wiring change:  I wouldn't have water spraying when the band isn't turning, and the debarker wouldn't spin without the band turning either.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beav39

sawdust in the blood

MartyParsons

I am not sure how many amps there are on these curcits. Sparks may give you more informaiton. Just a note. If you call for tech advice make sure you tell us you have changed these cuicits. Sometimes we get into issues where a customer has changed his mill and all we know is how it was from the factory, we try to help then we find out the mill has been changed and it raises lots of questions.  :-\
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Dan_Shade

Yes, I'm aware of causing problems down the line with this sort of thing, in my line of work, we call this an "unauthorized field change".

My main concern is burning the auto clutch switch up and causing me a headache along the way, or causing the breakers to flip all the time. 

farmerdoug

I have an question Dan.  On my LT40SH the autoclutch is only engaged enough to run the motor to its limit.  So it is not always on when the band is running is it?  I thought it was only running power when the autoclutch motor was engaging and disengaging it.  If this is the case then you lube/debarker would only run while you are holding the toogle switch up or down.  What you would have to do is put a contact switch on the autoclutch under the motor so it would be engaged only when the autoclutch is fully engaged.  Get my drift? ???
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dan_Shade

i'm going to have to go out and play with my test light in order to answer that question, but I'd guess that it is powered, and the autoclutch brain disconnects the power to keep the motor from running....

LeeB

If I'm remebering right there are a couple of micro switches that trigger off a cam when the auto clutch is engaged/disingaged that shut the power to the motor.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

farmerdoug

You maybe right but my toogle switch centers automatically.  You can runs the motor just part way and it stops if you let go of the toogle too early.  Just asking questions.  Those micro switches are limit switches.
Doug
Fargo, MI

LeeB

Limit, micro whatever. They shut power to the motor don't they?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

farmerdoug

Doug
Fargo, MI

LeeB

Mine doesn't center aoutomatically. I never tried centering it during activation.

Brucer

On my '06 autoclutch, the switch is a single pole, double throw, with no centre off position.

- When the switch is up, power is fed through the "up" wire through a magnetic reed switch mounted in the autoclutch housing.
-  The reed switch is normally closed, allowing power to go to the autoclutch motor.
- As the motor turns, it drives a cam that approaches the reed switch just as the sawmill engine reaches it's maximum height.
- The reed switch senses the cam and opens, shutting off power to the autoclutch motor.

There is an identical setup for lowering the sawmill engine.

With this arrangement, whenever the switch is up, power is available at the "up" wire. In theory you ought to be able to power the lubemizer and the debarker from this switch. In practice, there may be some issues.

Right off the bat, there's going to be a problem with fuses. There may also be a problem with the debarker motor acting as a generator when you switch it off and feeding power back into the system. (That's why the annoying beeper dies away when you kill the debarker, instead of just stopping).

It it was me, I'd replace the autoclutch switch with a double pole, double throw non-centering switch, exactly like the one used to move the debarker in and out. Use one side of the switch to operate the autoclutch, and the other side to feed power to the lubemizer and debarker motor.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

farmerdoug

Okay,  So there is live power when the autoclutch is engaged.  So that answers my question. 

Now Dan has an interesting idea, so let us know how it works out. :)
Doug
Fargo, MI

farmerdoug

Will today I spent so quality time with my mill. :)

My Autoclutch toogle switch is self centering.  When I engage the autoclutch I have to hold the toogle switch up until the clutch is fully engaged and down is the same.  If I let go of the switch before the autoclutch motor is all the way up it stops.  So I am assuming that there is no power to the motor when I let go.  Is this just different for my mill?
Doug
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!