iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT70 Drag-Back Guide Fingers on an LT40 Super

Started by DR Buck, December 31, 2020, 02:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Today I finally got around to completely finishing the installation of the LT70 drag-back guide fingers on my LT40 Super.     I bought and installed them over a year ago but I wasn't happy with the installation.   In order to make them work correctly I had to do several modifications.

Finding a mounting location for the arm base was not an issue as there was just enough room on the saw housing all I had to do was drill the 4 mounting holes.   After getting the arm mounted I quickly discovered why Wood-Mizer does not offer this as an LT40 option.   When the sawmill head is brought back to the end of the mill to start the cut there is a good chance of getting whacked in the head by the guide fingers/arm.   To reduce this risk I decided to shorten the arm length by about 6 inches.   That way it does not extend past the operator standing at the command console and minimizes head impact.  smiley_furious    

When testing the initial mounting of the arm I learned that the log loader arms would hit  when I tried to raised them to the transport/travel position.   Since I do mostly portable work this was an issue.    To resolve it I decided to make the fingers removable for transport.   So when I shortened the arm the need  6 inches to prevent head banging I cut out of the center instead of the end.    Then I made a sleeve to hold it all together when it was installed.    The initial sleeve was kludgy and that's what I changed today.   The finished sleeve is bolted on one end and has a quick-disconnect pin on the other so I can remove the entire assembly for travel.    

The other thing I need to do was get the drag-back guide fingers aligned to where the edge of the cant would be.  The assembly mounts in a different location on the LT70.  Probably under the engine, but on the LT40 there is not enough room to fit it there.   To fix this I had to cut the off of the bar that holds the fingers and weld it back on about 7 inches toward the outside of the saw head.  This is now almost centered on the cross bar.  

I have used the mill with this mod quite a bit and I really love it.  When sawing by myself I hate having to go around the mill and grab a board that slid off to the outside and I really don't like to have boards fall onto the CAT track.   Having the guide fingers prevents this from happening.  

Here is the mod in photos in no particular order . . . .

This shows where the cross arm was moved and welded back on.   It was originally 7 inches toward the top of the picture.    No comments on the weld quality.  I took two classes to learn how to do it.  Obviously I didn't pay attention.

Guide fingers aligned where the edge of the cant sits.

Guide fingers folded up out of the way.

When I cut the arm length I made sure there was enough room so the folded up finger assembly would not bang or rub against the engine.   I have about 2 inches of clearance.

These are the 4 mounting bolts that hold the whole assembly in place.

This is where the arm can be separated when I need to remove it for transport.  The pin on the right side pulls out and then the sleeve slides out with the entire assembly.    This leaves just enough room for the log loader to come all the way up for transport.

This photos shows that there was just enough room to install the arm to the saw head.  

Another view of where the arm separates and where it is mounted to the saw head.

Showing the entire assembly in the down for use position.

Different view in the down for use position.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

terrifictimbersllc

On my 70 there's enough sideways force in board returns to "twist" the post holding the guide fingers, so that the fingers slowly creep to the drive side.  

Actually the "twist" is the square post moving clockwise a bit where it is mounted to the sawmill. Something has to give.  There is enough play in the 3/8 mounting bolts/holes to allow this.  I adjusted it back once so far.  Not sure why it seems to only move in only this direction.  I guess statistically the finger nearest sawn edge of cant is being contacted most often
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

What are the 4 bolts holding the assembly going through? It looks like channel iron? If those aren't through a fully boxed member I would reinforce it as the torque of that arm hanging out there may twist the mounting steel. 

Short boards will fall off a log and catch up into the spot between the fingers and the mount now and then. You need a very strong connection there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DR Buck

Quote from: Southside on December 31, 2020, 06:49:23 PM
What are the 4 bolts holding the assembly going through? It looks like channel iron? If those aren't through a fully boxed member I would reinforce it as the torque of that arm hanging out there may twist the mounting steel.
The bolts go through the saw head frame.   Its boxed steel tubing.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Thank You Sponsors!