iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Much Rain causing Bridge Damage

Started by Magicman, April 25, 2020, 05:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

July 13, 2014.  The near end washed out last night.

The creek bank washed away and the bridge dropped 3'+.  What a mess!!

July 7, 2016, looking good. 

Needs some work now.  A third bridge also had decking ripped off, but I forgot to take a picture.  All of this happened last night.  I have three bridges on my property and I am not able to cross any of them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Sorry to see that. At least you should not be bored for the next few weeks it looks like.

I just checked the weather for a mobile job and nothing less than 40% chance of rain predicted out as far as 10 days and it is 50 miles away and one long day should finish it so I want to be able to schedule a full day of work.

Be careful in and around those bridges. They may have new guardians living in and around them I'd think. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My sawing is booked solid so I have no idea when we will get to the repairs or even what the repairs will be on that first bridge.  I do know that it will be work!!

I also understand "guardians" and that is a prime area for stump tails.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Rain plus snow melt is playing havoc north of us, no other way out for many folks. We have not had serious serious flooding yet but the creeks and river are coming up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

farmfromkansas

I have a bridge on the farm, was a poured concrete abutment on each end, my dad got tired of replacing the wood top, and put I beam across, and formed a concrete top.  Was good till we had a flash flood last summer, 10 1/2" rain in 2 hours, and tree limbs washed under the bridge top and water started going around it, and nearly washed out the abutment on the west side.  It has stayed wet and I don't have it cleaned out yet, and the west side is getting worse.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

thecfarm

Sorry to hear of all the bridge problems.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

And I am too busy sawing to even consider thinking about the bridges right now.  ::)

Al_Smith

Just a suggestion .I you don't rip rap the upstream flow it will wash out given an amount of time .Heavy stone( shot rock ),rocks ,broken concrete etc .Number 57 stone will just wash away .

WDH

Or maybe build a suspension bridge. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I got a call this evening and we now have a plan. 

Anyone unfamiliar with our geography, rainfall amount, and soil makeup would shake their heads looking at the obstacles that we have to deal with.  smiley_dizzy

thecfarm

Send address, rocks on the way.  :D
I just might get rid of that stone wall.  ;D 
I got some bigums that water won't move. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Yup, you do and I don't.  There is not the first natural rock of any size on my property. 

The bottom of the creek bed is nothing but hard clay, and there is nothing but loam soil above the clay.  The creek is a continual switchback which creates swirls when it overflows.  A swirl is what got the end of the bridge that dropped down.  Trees (roots) that grow along the creek provide the only protection against washing.  A Walnut tree that had been clinging to the creek bank gave way with this latest flood and will have to be recovered.

It's hard to believe that the trickle seen above will be 15'+ deep during a flash flood.  It will also spread out onto the pasture and be ~100' wide and 18"+ deep.  I was deer hunting and stayed in the Strawhouse during such a downpour.  I had a flooded bridge between me and the Cabin and the Golf Car was floating.  Without knowing it, I had placed myself in a dangerous situation.  Sadly I lost the pictures.

Al_Smith

Although the terrain is nearly flat as Kansas the creeks around here are about the same except no rock .They can go from a little trickle to running over the banks with 2"-3" of rain .The roads flood .Some times it looks like the low country in South Carolina .Water obviously runs down hill and the farmers ,bless their hearts like to tile the fields which just puts it on the guy at a slightly  lower elevation .It's a circus alright . I could go on about it until I over load the server but I'll just leave it here . ;D

Magicman

There is no agriculture/farming/soil tillage whatsoever in the entire drainage that feeds my creek.  It's virtually all timbered property. 

Thank You Sponsors!