iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stick

Started by Peter Drouin, March 18, 2016, 08:05:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushmechanic

Ok peter here is a pic or two of a saw mounted whip.

Peter Drouin

So the whip is 2' long and you I ball up the log as you go.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

Just make sure you aren't drilling through the gas tank on your Husky. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bushmechanic

Well it can be more accurate than eyeballing it. We take the whip end and put it on the log end then rev the saw a little bit and kind of roll the saw forwards until the saw bar tip strikes the log making a mark. This mark is four foot so then walk up the log and put the whip end ahead of the saw mark and repeat the process and now you have an eight foot mark. You can keep repeating for how ever long you need the log, and if you want you can put one or two foot marks on the whip with electrical tape.

furltech

You lay they saw on top of the tree and make a mark that gives you four feet keep limbing up the   tree line up whip with mark your tip made now you have 8 feet . the whip comes longer when you buy it after you mount it you cut it so overall length is 4 feet

furltech

whoops missed your explanation bush mechanic   sorry

trapper

where do you buy the whip?
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

furltech

We buy them just about anywhere you buy a saw they cost about 6 bucks

barbender

This is an example of something that I love about the forum- I have never seen a whip like that, let alone the fact that you can buy them. It looks like a slick solution ;) What is it made out of?
Too many irons in the fire

furltech

Your right about the forum i just assumed everyone used one lol it is a plastic nylon product it is pretty flexible it wont break unless very old or cold it has a spring reinforcment up by the handle .

thecfarm

I've seen them somewheres for sale and have seen them on a few saws too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Be careful like Dave said. Some saws the handle is part of the gas tank. And if you drill a hole in it, you'll have a lot of trouble patching it. I've seen one with holes in it and the owner had to buy a whole new handle cause they couldn't patch it up right.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

trapper

Is the stick like the part that replaces the bar nut?  Not logging country here so most of the saw shops arborist or home owner.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!