iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thank you and Farewell Hoopty!

Started by Jeff, January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It was warm enough to fiddle in the polebarn for a bit. I replaced the burned plugwires and started redoing the wild world of wire under the hood. Still amile or two to go, but she seems to run good now.
351 Blue streaker - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Jeff

Just took actual notice of the steering wheel in the mustang. I dont know if its sumpthin, but seems like it could be nice from what i see on google. Never heard of a Nardi Torino Steering Wheel.

Ianab

Looks like a fancy Italian leather steering wheel  8)

Probably more at home in an Alfa Romeo Spyder than an American Pony car, but hey, should have a nice feel to it. 

Aftermarket steering wheels on modern cars isn't really a thing like it used to be. As well as the air bag, the wheel on my Toyota probably has more buttons and levers than your whole Mustang dash. Stereo, cellphone, cruise control and gearbox are all on the actual wheel. Not really practical to swap out. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Raider Bill

I have a stop light that blew down during a hurricane years ago. It sits on a shelf in the shop all these years as I haven't thunk of anything to do with it yet. I hesitate putting it outside lit up in case someone gets snoopy and sees where it came from. Jeff's project has me thinking ofmaybe putting it in my sports room.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Raider Bill

Ordered, Thanks!
Just have to figure out where I'm putting it now.
Did you use LED house bulbs?

Jeff

My light has led bulbs in it. Just wires hanging in it. The board could sequence any 3 light i would think. You have a hot and nuetral comeing into it and three places to hook power and nuetral for the red yellow and green. 

Wire strippers and a tiny screw driver and 5 minutes to hook it up. Longer to strip your wires. :)

Jeff

The board comes with 4 feet with adhesive to mount in the light.

Raider Bill

Mine has normal screw in sockets I think. It isn't LED. Been 10+ years since I looked in it so can't remember.

doc henderson

Jeff, I just watched the blue streaker video.  I highly recommend that only senior members are allowed to borrow and or drive that car at the next pig roast!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2019, 10:59:03 AMWe take care of our vehicles, but inevitably age and the michigan climate dictates they reach an end of life. They ain't there yet, but close enough we are always concerned to venture very far from home, or outside of our safety net.

So Tammy has been driving the 1999 silverado this summer to work. I drive the newer truck, but I don't go anywhere very often.  2 days ago she asked me if I thought the old truck would make it to Detroit and back as her mom wants to go visit her 94 year old cousin Leona for a weekend.   I said, well, it it won't make it down there and back, then it isn't  going to even last you another week driving it to work, because you put 500 miles a week on it for that.  She answered back, well I noticed it has got a shake above 70 mph.  I said, well, its probably a ujoint or a tire or something. Call J&G and see if Gary can get it on the lift to look it over.  She called and they said sure, bring it in in the morning.  Yesterday when Tammy got home from work in the morning, she said it was now shaking at lower speeds. I said, well, lets get it over there.  We dropped it off about 9 and came home. At 10 oclock, Vicky, Gary's wife called and said, you guys need to come down here.

Gary had put a rear u-joint in the driveshaft, and when he was torquing down the bearing cap clamps on reassembly, that is when he noticed the whole rear end tip sideways.  As I walked in, Gary was in his old office chair that he uses for a sit down creeper. He was sitting under the front of the truck looking out the garage door. As I walked up he said, you may or may not want to come under here.   The frame was broke just in front of the rear wheels. On the drivers side, it was completely broke. On the passenger side, it was 2/3s of the way broke. Almost anywhere you wanted, you could poke a screw driver through the frame it was that rotted. The frame where the top of the rear shocks mounted was completely rotted away and one shock was hanging at the top.  The truck is beyond fixing. I am so glad Tammy had phrased her question the way she did. It was so bad I got sick to my stomach looking at the truck thinking what could have happened at 70mph when she was feeling the shake.  So, we are down a work vehicle for Tammy. We were hoping to get two more years. I sure was lucky to have made this trade this topic is about and my premonitions were proven correct that we needed to do something. We would be in a bad place right now had I not made it.   I didn't take any pics while it was on the hoist as I was a bit gobsmacked at the time when I saw how bad it was.  It sort of p{pre-edited by admin} me off that the oil change place just a couple weeks ago didn't say anything.

Magicman

Well that is a smack in the kisser!!  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

You seem to run into that these days, regarding seeing troubles at the garage and not mentioning it. We have mandatory inspections here and my cousin had an inspection and the garage did not mention the alignment or cause mentioned in the inspection. Had brand new tires on the vehicle after the inspection and they scuffed on the outer edges of the tread as they would if the vehicle was out of whack. She went after the garage about it and got two new front tires because of it. Mom ran into that to, with a local garage. I stopped going to these independent guys years ago. In the long run they cost us more money than the dealer. And I can get brakes installed at the dealer cheaper than any independent garage. I've priced it out. Tires are no more expensive, for the same tire. This inspection racket up here is just a guaranteed fee in their pocket no matter if they do the job they are suppose to or not. All they got to do is put that new windshield sticker on and make out the receipt. They are passing vehicles with rust through, that is suppose to be a failed inspection. So that right there proves the point.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

the oil change place prob. did not look beyond the filter and plug, and a few grease zerks.  glad everyone is safe.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GRANITEstateMP

We did a frame inspection for a customer 2 weeks ago on a Tacoma.  The Tech only made it about a foot off the ground and stopped when it "made some funny noise's".  The truck qualified for a replacement frame under the Warranty Extension Program.  It was bad enough that we put him in a 2019 Tacoma as a free to him rental.  The truck itself is real nice, well kept, no rust on the body, frame had a hole the Tech put his flashlight through!

Glad you caught it when you did Jeff, that's what matters most.

Why is it that we need to use all the salt and chemicals on the roads in winter?  Does anybody NEED to get to work that much quicker?  I remember growing up, the state used mostly sand on the roads, salt only during ice type events.  Towns hardly ever used salt on the road, it was too expensive, a hazard around water / ponds, and most towns around here have a town owned sandpit, so that material is at hand.  Now, the state spreads NO SAND in the Southern half of the state, AND they use a bunch of chemicals / sprays on the roads BEFORE and during storms! You can almost hear the car rusting away as you drive through that junk!  Ok, off my soap box now!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Ed

Sorry to hear that Jeff.

It is a very common problem on 90's chevy trucks, but not limited to gm.

Neighbor had to scrap 2 early 90's Dakotas for the same issue, the boxed frames hold moisture and rot from the inside out.

Ed

Resonator

Many years ago I worked with a guy who had an old pickup, and one day while driving across a bridge had the frame break in half right behind the cab. He stopped and got out, and before walking away figured he better take his shotgun off the gunrack along, so it wouldn't be stolen. He hadn't made it to the end of the bridge when a officer pulled up. He looked at the truck, looked at the gun, and said: "good shot!" :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

K-Guy

Quote from: Resonator on September 09, 2019, 11:36:20 AMMany years ago I worked with a guy who had an old pickup, and one day while driving across a bridge had the frame break in half right behind the cab. He stopped and got out, and before walking away figured he better take his shotgun off the gunrack along, so it wouldn't be stolen. He hadn't made it to the end of the bridge when a officer pulled up. He looked at the truck, looked at the gun, and said: "good shot!"

You gotta like it when you get a police officer with a sense of humor!!teeter_totter
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

SwampDonkey

10 years is all I got out of a '87 GMC S15, the body and the cross beams (pretty cheap ones at that) all rotted to snot. The wiring was starting to go bad to. Bought  a Dodge RAM next and it all fell apart in 8 years, piece of junk. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Stephen1

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on September 07, 2019, 12:17:02 PM
We did a frame inspection for a customer 2 weeks ago on a Tacoma.  The Tech only made it about a foot off the ground and stopped when it "made some funny noise's".  The truck qualified for a replacement frame under the Warranty Extension Program.  It was bad enough that we put him in a 2019 Tacoma as a free to him rental.  The truck itself is real nice, well kept, no rust on the body, frame had a hole the Tech put his flashlight through!

Glad you caught it when you did Jeff, that's what matters most.

Why is it that we need to use all the salt and chemicals on the roads in winter?  Does anybody NEED to get to work that much quicker?  I remember growing up, the state used mostly sand on the roads, salt only during ice type events.  Towns hardly ever used salt on the road, it was too expensive, a hazard around water / ponds, and most towns around here have a town owned sandpit, so that material is at hand.  Now, the state spreads NO SAND in the Southern half of the state, AND they use a bunch of chemicals / sprays on the roads BEFORE and during storms! You can almost hear the car rusting away as you drive through that junk!  Ok, off my soap box now!

I bet that Tacoma was a few years old also, and past warranty. My buddy had his replaced at 180,000 miles. Toyot does stand behind thier vehicles much more so than the big three. Yes you pay more to buy them but  they last and last.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

There was a few short years around the model 2000-2003's Tacoma or so, where Toyota bought back the trucks because of a frame issue. They were too light and would rust early. I was just talking a couple weeks ago with someone that worked at the local marketing board a few years back. They had a truck from those years that had 300,000 km on it and Toyota gave them $10,800 for the truck, that was $23,000 new. Around here the domestic vehicle makers might have given $1000 tops on a trade in, not a buy out. Makes a lot of difference deciding who to buy a vehicle from. ;)

petefrom bearswamp

We who live in the glaciated area of the good old US or Canada have to suffer the consequences of heavy road salting.
MY 2014 GMC has a pretty rusty looking frame already.
only 48k miles. 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

JJ

I had a 97 Toyota Tacoma that got bought back by Toyota under frame warranty, they gave 150% of the bluebook in the buyback.  Best truck I ever had.   I had it from 2001 to 2009 and put 120K miles (had 190K when I let it go); paid $12K in private sale and Toyota gave me $10K for it in 09 (an offer which could not be refused).

It was funny, when they started the buyback I lookup book and was only worth $3-4K, but by time my truck was bought the book value was $7K.   Toyota drove up the value with every Tacoma they bought back, but they never seriously tried to sell me a new one.    Ended up with a Ford F150 as a replacement.

JJ

SwampDonkey

The boss has a 1999, and he said they would not do the buy back for him. So I'm pretty sure it was after that. He's got over 500,000 on it now and he got it second hand. Maybe you had a different program offer than we had up here.

Thank You Sponsors!