iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My first day of milling

Started by Craig_S, March 10, 2019, 11:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_S

I've wanted to mill wood for years and have done it with friends before. But today was the big day - I cut slabs by myself with my own mill. It would have been great to end up with big beautiful pieces to keep from the first time, but I thought it would be a good idea to start with a small log in case anything went wrong and it got messed up.

I'll have a bandsaw mill soon but for now this will work and it's a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Woodpecker52

Looks like someone caught the sawmilling bug! Now the fun begins 8)
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

Congratulations!!  Smart choice to start with something more forgiving.  The old adage of "Slow is Smooth, Smooth if Fast" applies to sawing too.  

What do you have lined up for a band mill?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Way to go, keep up the good work 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Bigblazer

LT40 manual, peg11 single blade edger and 36" chainsaw mill

Craig_S

Quote from: Southside logger on March 10, 2019, 11:25:53 PM

What do you have lined up for a band mill?
A friend has a well used LT35 that he may replace soon. I'm considering getting something less "fancy" but also less "rode hard & put away wet" instead. This one is stored outside and could probably use some maintenance.

But... it sure would cut a lot of wood too.

Craig

Craig_S

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I can't wait to make some lumber from the Hemlock out at camp and use it to build a new woodshed.

Craig

Southside

The 35 is a great mill that would take you a long way. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: Craig_S on March 11, 2019, 07:49:55 AM"rode hard & put away wet"
I would not let that be of any concern.  There may be some minor stuff that needs attention, but the "whole thing" ain't gonna break down.

My sawmill had been used in a commercial environment and taken a pounding for two years and then sat idle for another year before I bought it.  That was 17 years ago. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!