iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Teeth setting questions

Started by dhp3228, February 20, 2016, 10:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhp3228

So with everyone's input about sharpening blades I have moved into teeth setting. I started today after three blades that I had sharpened had heavy pitch build up behind the teeth. Which I assumed was because I had sharpened the blades twice but hadn't set the teeth.

So today I set teeth. I am using an older single tooth hand setter.

What advice and tips would y'all give a newbie?

I remember reading that some like to set before sharpening and others preferred to do it after. Which do y'all prefer and why?

Also I'm using 1 1/4" blades. How much set would y'all recommend?

I got a section of new blade and calibrated my machine off of it? But I'm still curious about the specifics.

Also I had problems with the center pin needing continued adjustment to keep the proper pressure on the blade. Do y'all have to do this?

I'm using an older setter from WoodMizer

Thanks for the help

Tom the Sawyer

The blade must be clean to be set accurately.
If you sharpen first, make sure the burr is removed before you set.
I clean, set, and sharpen.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

terrifictimbersllc

I clean, set, sharpen.

Unless I am saving a damaged blade, then I clean, sharpen, set, resharpen.  I don't do this often, only if a few teeth damaged.  Worse blades get discarded.

Advice?
Get a 10x hand lens. http://www.amateurgeologist.com/belomo-10x-triplet-loupe-magnifier.html 

Learn what a tooth that is ground off square looks like, that is what you want. 

Monitor set, with a good gauge, so you understand what you have done.  You need to spot check more than one tooth, to understand the deviation you are achieving. http://woodmizer.com/Store/Product/Index/1124
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DMcCoy

X2 on the hand magnifier.  Once I made sure the outside corners were sharp my mill cuts amazingly flat even with knots.

Ox

Yep, set first then sharpen.  The worst thing for me is it always seems like there's at least one tooth that will not set like the others.  It'll either go too far or not enough.  It's aggravating to no end.  That being said, I usually set to .025 and after I sharpen (not a heavy grind) I'm assuming it settles into the .023 range.  I've never measured the set after sharpening.  Always had good results and good feedback from the couple of guys I sharpen for.  Like terrifictimbersllc said, damaged blades usually need the profile brought back first, then set, then a light touch on the sharpener again.

Sorry, but I can't help you with the adjustments on a Woodmizer setter.  I've never used one and don't know anything about it.

X2 on the sharp corners as well!  If you think about it, the corners do most of the work and are the most important and are also the first things to go dull as they are the weakest.  Quite the catch 22, eh?  :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kbeitz

I'm just a newbie but I'll tell you what I've read.
Any where from .012º to .040º
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Cutting Edge

Quote from: dhp3228 on February 20, 2016, 10:20:50 PM

1)  ... three blades that I had sharpened had heavy pitch build up behind the teeth.

2)  I got a section of new blade and calibrated my machine off of it? But I'm still curious about the specifics.

3)  I'm using an older setter from WoodMizer ... had problems with the center pin needing continued adjustment to keep the proper pressure on the blade. Do y'all have to do this?

1)  Blades HAVE to be clean - the blade body and the teeth.  If not, you'll NEVER be able to accurately set the teeth.

2)  Not the best method.  IMO, it is best to ZERO the dial indicator on a KNOWN true flat piece of stock.  Make sure the dial indicator itself is adjusted so the hardened circular tip is co-planer with the blade clamp.

3)  Depending on which revision of older WM sharpener you have, the mechanics of adjusting the amount of clamping force is different.  Pics would be helpful  in this aspect.  Once setup properly, you can check the set.  If desired, set the tooth.  And finally, check how much you "bent" the tooth to check the final amount of set induced into the blade.  No need for handheld set gauge that clamps onto the blade.

Yes, there are blades that will try your patience depending on the how tight of a tolerance you want to hold... if any.   

Hope this helps.

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

dhp3228

I started to notice cracks in the blades as well in some of the ones I had sharpened a couple of times already. So my question is do y'all scrap them once a crack develops or run them till they break?

Magicman

I would never knowingly put a cracked blade on the sawmill.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Sounds like a way to rip up your band wheels, send metal flying and maybe ruin some wood.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Tom the Sawyer

I wire brush my bands to clean them.  If I see a single crack developing, I break the blade, coil it up and toss it on the scrap metal pile.  A blade that breaks while running will often cut into my band wheel belts, put a big dent in my covers, and has taken out my drip lubrication line.  Plus, it can be very startling to those who are 'uninitiated'... and there is the down time.  Bands are going to break at times, but why guarantee it by putting a defective band on the mill?
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Kbeitz

If it was my blade and only had one crack then I would silver solder it.
I take blades to long for my mill and cut them to fit and I use silver solder to weld them.
Might not be for everyone.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!