iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

instruction manual, or class?

Started by Dave VH, December 22, 2012, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave VH

I'm looking for either a good instruction manual, or class that I can take on chainsaw repair, or maybe small engine in general.  I would prefer it to be specific to Stihl.  I have a couple of saws that need repair right now, and I'm looking at purchasing more.  I have many small engines around, and I'm good at keeping up on all of the maintenance.  I have been moderatlly successful at some small minor repairs, but I usually find myself replacing many parts that probably don't need replacing.  Properly diagnosing a problem and just replacing a bunch of parts are two different things.  I enjoy doing my own work, I just don't like being ignorant of what I'm doing.  I'm not looking to do repairs for anyone else, just me.  If there was anyone close by to me, I would happily pay them to teach me.
  Any advice on what direction I should head towards would be helpfull.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

CTYank

Good reference: "Two-Stroke Engine Repair & Maintanance" by Paul Dempsey. Get to understand the little demons.

For model-specific info, you can join arboristsite dot com and "beg for manuals." You can also ask there for IPLs (Illustrated Parts Lists). Stihl makes a big thing about not making either available to the public.  :snowball1:

For models over 10 years old, try Clymer's "Chain Saw Service Manual" which covers most all makes & models.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

beenthere

If I were in your shoes, I'd head to my Stihl dealer and ask him if he'd give you some hands-on instruction. Offer to spend some time in his shop helping out where needed and see what comes of it.

Otherwise, a vocational training school might be another possibility to check out.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ward Barnes

Check with your local Community College.  Many have classes on small engine repair that would put you on the right path for general repair and then you can go for Stihl specific.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.   :christmas: :christmas: 
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Cut4fun

I have or have access to about any stihl service manual or IPL.  :christmas:

Dave VH

thanks for the feedback guys, I will look into those options.

as for talking to the stihl dealer, I like the guys at my local dealer, but they aren't interested in allowing me to learn anything.  I think that they think that it will hurt their business.  Which is true, but I'm spending too much money on repairs, hence the need for knowlegde.  (I have some employees, and co-workers that are tough on equipment)

is anybody here a teacher?

sawguy21

The guys at the shop are being paid to produce, they are not there to teach the customer how to do their job. I hated having customers hang over my shoulder wasting my time.Check with your local high school or community college, many offer night classes on small engine repair for a reasonable fee. You may luck out and find a 2 stroke guy who will spend the extra time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

Quote(I have some employees, and co-workers that are tough on equipment)

That might be where you can make the most gain. Try to correct that problem, either with employees or co-workers using their own equipment or responsible for the cost of repairing the piece that is assigned to them.

A chainsaw is like a watch, I was told early in my chainsaw days. They don't get loaned out to anyone, or traded around.

Probably is easier said than done. But if it can't work, then having the dealer repair them is just part of doing business.

However, I see why you are interested in doing your own fixing. Good luck with that.

Knowledge given out here in the Forum prolly can't be beat by any other way. IMO :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave VH

well, I decided to watch some youtube and just tear into my 025.  I tore it down completely, piston out and everything.  When I put it back together with the new carb that it needed, it was idleing fast, but it was strong and responsive.  I was told that it was sucking air and I would burn it up if I kept running it.  So I tore it all apart again, only to find that I didn't put the flywheel on tight enough, and I chewed up the keyway on it.  40$ for a used flywheel later that was fixed.  It was sucking air because I ran it too soon, and the sealant that put the case together with wasn't cured yet.  Mistake #2.  On the plus side, I am getting faster and more confident on tearing it down and reasembling it.  The sealant has been drying now for 48 hours, and I plan on putting it all back together tomorrow after church.  I will probably wait a few more days yet to start it in fear of repeating one of the earlier mistakes.
  even if the saw is junk now, I have learned a lot.  While I had the saw apart, I cleaned everything on it.  polished the piston, and the exhaust chanel.  That is the first saw that I bought new.  Even though I am a stickler on maintanence, it has had a rough life.  I had no idea that I would use it as much as I have, I should of bought the 026 at the time.
  having fun!! (but my day job is still save, and I will not be any competition for my local dealer)

Thank You Sponsors!