iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trapping Coyotes

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 11, 2012, 04:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw a hunting show where the hunter had a trained dog. The dog would go about 5 or 600 yards or where ever the Coyote was and make him mad. The Coyote got so DanG aggravated he would chase the dog right back to the hunter. The hunter then would punch a hole in him with a rifle.
That was a good hunting dog.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

clww

That sounds risky for the dog.
Great thread, David. I don't know how I missed it until today.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

That crow business points out the big black bird is pretty bright for having a bird brain .The northern raven which we here in the big corn field are on the southern most part of their range is like a crow on steroids ,big nasty mean bird .

If a crow is smart for a bird a raven makes them appear dumb as a box of rocks .

I've seen caged crows that I think they slit the end of their tongue talk like a myna bird .

Back to coyotes .The last snow we had I saw fresh tracks around one of my wood piles obviously from a 'yote looking for a mouse to dine on for his breakfast  .There's a definate difference between the track of a coyote a dog and a fox .

ely

here in oklahoma they have what we call wolf pens, where they run captured coyotes with dogs for a sport, they will be acres of ground fenced off where the yotes live. they have barrels with the ends cut out and half buried where the coyotes hide from the dogs when they tire of running.

friends of mine catch coyotes all the time here and sell them live for 75 bucks each, i have one friend that caught 19 on his best day ever... they use snares here in oklahoma but they have to have a stop attached to the snares to keep them from completly closes off the airway. when the trapper get to the snare in the morning the coyote usually has all the fight wore out of him and they use a hoop on a short stick like a noose to handle the coyote with. he put nineteen coyotes in one of those aluminum hunting dog boxes in his truck. he generally just uses welding gloves in case the coyotes get antsy with him, he is a large man though. on difficult ones he may whack them in the head once with a rubber grip off a golf club handle, and that usually settles them out well.

they set snares along roadways here where there are known trails under fences, at these places most coyotes are travelleling too fast to pay attention to the loop of snare. if they catch a dog they just turn him loose, he will usually only get caught one time.

on a side note, when i used to trap i would have to get to the fox traps early because if you left them in the trap much after sun-up the coyotes would kill and eat the fox out of the trap. most coyotes that i trapped , i caught as a by catch on my fox sets. if i knew i would be late getting to the fox set i put several number 3 double springs in a six foot circle around the fox set.
as was stated above the coyotes are very trap shy, great care has to be taken preparing traps for coyotes... but when they are going for a fox in a trap they drop their guard.

also, in the wolf pens, when they purchase the coyotes, they chop of their tails and give them a shot of combiotics before releasing them into the enclosure.
as i understand it if the yotes have their tail it get soaked with water and tires them out quicker and the chase is not near as far as a bob tailed yote.

treefarmer87

never seen a live one, nice pics. I have seen a few dead ones here on peoples dog boxes when they have done deer drives.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!