iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wet sanding timbers

Started by srjones, November 01, 2005, 05:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srjones

okay, bear with me.  This is a question more about situation than preference.

It's been raining lately--a lot of rain.  Cats and dogs.  So I got to thinking:  would there be any value in sanding timbers while wet?  Yeah, I know that different sandpaper is probably required and the sanders may or may not be able to handle it.  Aside from the safetly issue of running power tools in a wet environment, would there other negative effects of doing this?  Some advantages?

Or, should I wait until everything's dry and do it then?   Oh, BTW, these are douglas fir timbers...

Thanks,

-Steve

Still thinking I should have built a big shop first.

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

beenthere

What is the purpose of sanding the timbers, dry or wet? 

I've not had much luck sanding wet wood, as the fibers don't cut but just rub off and the sandpaper fills up with 'rubbed-off' yuk.
What is the wet environment?  If rain, isn't it possible to cover with tarps before they got wet? I'd get them under some kind of cover so they can dry, if I really needed to sand them.  :)  It will help keep them from some staining as well, I'd expect.

How about a 'tent city'  ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

srjones

Hey Beenthere...I'm getting there... :D

In my case, the purpose of sanding timbers (dry or wet) would be to remove the mill glaze and other cosmetic issues (light mold, pencil marks, etc.) in preparation for sealing/finishing. 

Currently, everything is covered with tarps--nice and dry.  My issue, though, is that as a typical northwest fall, it's going to be raining through next spring.  If I wait that long, I'm never going to get this frame done. :'(  I've already got (3) 10'x20' tents setup for other stuff too ;)

Thanks for the reply

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Cuz

Maybe you could just sand blast them a little!
Love the smell of sawdust in the morning...and lurking on this site!

Jim Haslip

Rather than sand-blasting, (it is hard on the wood), there is a system which uses corn husks. It does less damage to the wood fibre. If I can find a link, I'll post it here.

Thank You Sponsors!