iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

attic fan in kiln

Started by kelLOGg, November 10, 2009, 06:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

Has anyone used an attic fan for circulation in a kiln? Seems like the bearing lubricant would take the heat since an attic is comparable to kiln temperatures.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

pineywoods

Bearings aren't the only concern. I built a solar kiln for a sawyer up the road. He bought plastic box fans from wal mart. The blades melted and fell off.  We also found that the fans last a lot longer if you leave them running all the time.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

James P.

kelLOGg, I have 5 attic fans I bought new several years ago for a kiln. I have yet to build a kiln but I am hoping they will do the job. The only thing concerns me is they aren't enclosed motors and the moisture will have a negative effect in short order. The price for them is a lot cheaper than a true kiln fan . Plus kiln fans have alot higher cfm and HP from what I remember. I hope someone with some experience using them will post their results.

solidwoods

Quote from: pineywoods on November 10, 2009, 11:05:24 AM
Bearings aren't the only concern. I built a solar kiln for a sawyer up the road. He bought plastic box fans from wal mart. The blades melted and fell off. 

Now that's funny :D

The atic fan should have a temp rating on it if not check Grainger for the model # and check the spec info on it.
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

davemartin88

Quote from: kelLOGg on November 10, 2009, 06:04:25 AM
Has anyone used an attic fan for circulation in a kiln? Seems like the bearing lubricant would take the heat since an attic is comparable to kiln temperatures.
Bob

I have a small (4'x8'x8') solar kiln using two solar powered attic fans for circulation. Been in use for about 3 years with no problems, fan is metal so nothing has melted! They were expensive but so far, so good.

solidwoods

In my kilns I use furnace squirrel cage fans.  They are rated for high temp.
We can get them from the scrap metal yard.  They allow us to remove them from a furnace, they charge $.10 per pound for the fan.  I can check it with a VOM to see if it has a short, also I check the fan for excess spindle play.
If we get the fan home and its bad, the scrap yard will buy it back for $.05 per pound.
I have the fans mounted on a piece of plywood with a hinge that has a quick release hinge pin. a few times per year , I take them down and oil the bearings.
Also these type of fans are typically 3 speed so I run them on high speed.
But they are not reversible, and they are more trouble to clean (kiln fans get caked on dust real easy).
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

kelLOGg

Well, thanks for all the feedback. I got 2 attic fans from Amazon.com - all metal with re-oilable bearings. Built a box to house them and this week I will put them in the kiln and be back on the "air".

I also got baseboard heaters installed to get the temp to ~135 -140*. The kiln is full of 7% MC white oak. I will reheat with the new heaters to kill possible bugs and empty the kiln.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!