iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not one of my better days.

Started by B.C.C. Lapp, April 19, 2022, 04:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.C. Lapp

Rough day today.  First I gotta fill in the back story.
  I've always had a flip phone. I've had this last one for 6 or 7 years but it finally gave out on me.
I tell my son I need a new phone and I'm going to the Vorizen store.   He says your in for a shock dad cause they don't sell flip phones any more. 

Wwwwwhhhhaaaattttt????    That's a problem. I don't want, need, or know how to use a smart phone.   I tell my wife I'm just not going to get a phone.   She says, uh huh, okay.

So off we go to the Vorizen store where they sell me a smart phone loaded with games and apps an tV stuff and all kinds of junk I will never use.

Now we get to my bad day.

This thing has spell check. Allrighty then, not such a bad thing. BUT the dog gone thing also changes what I type when it thinks it should.   And it don't consult me first. I'm sending messages that I didn't type and make no sense.   And now today, I'm working on a timber bid and I text one of the guys that buys logs from me and his name is Urie.

So I type "Hey URIE, my log price sheet is over a month old are there any price changes I need to know about?"

But the dog gone phone sent "Hey CUTIE, my log price sheets are over a month old,

Needless to say my day went down hill real quick from there.

Just exactly how many decades do you supposed its gonna take for this to be forgotten?

I really hate technology.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Raider Bill

You need a jitterbug phone.
Many of the old people use them
😆 🤣 😂
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

firefighter ontheside

Hey Cutie, I bet it will be forgotten in a few months
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

barbender

😂😂😂 yeah I've had a few mishaps with spellcheck myself, even on these pages as I do all of my web surfing on my phone. Which brings me to the main problem with smartphones- I am such am information addict, having always available internet access in my pocket and poor self control means I spend waay too much time online every day. Sometimes I have other things I should be tending to, but I get lonely and find myself on the Forum instead😁 Ah well🤷‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

A processor operator coworker of mine I hadn't worked with in quite a while wrote me one day, "how you doin'?" Now this guy divorced about 10 years ago and has been kind of an item with the 45+ ladies singles scene since, and I thought it was a little odd he wrote me out of the blue. Pretty soon, "oops that was meant for someone else"😂😂 It was meant for one of his lady friends, the booger. 

Had a truck driver this winter, he was new. He drove for a company we hired to haul for the winter, I'd only had him on my job for 3 days or so. Quiet guy. He would write me texts to let me know his arrival time, then he left me a voice text which worked pretty well. "Hello this is Mike, I'll be there in half an hour." Then he sent me another. Not seeming a chatty type, I was surprised he sent me another message. I opened it and he was singing a song in kind of a drunken cowboy yodeling fashion about "bowlegged women"😂😂 I'm thinking, what the heck? He seemed pretty shy and quiet, so it struck me as out of character. Well then about 2 minutes later another message "that wasn't supposed to be you it was supposed to be to a lady friend of mine!"😂😂😂 The period of technology I guess🤷‍♂️😂

Southside

Don't worry Cutie, I suspect your buyer will forget about it way before we do.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

My fingers are too big, so I talk to it, and it will text for me. BUT!!!
Look what it says before I send.
I have friends will text back, What are you saying?
I see it whole sh^*%
I better send another one fast.  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

Yes many of the guys I work with do the text to speech, it's like translating a foreign tongue the stuff I have to figure out😬😁

sawguy21

I was in the same boat, flip phone gave out so had to replace it. My wife was ill and I needed to be available. The whiz kid salesman is rattling off all this gosh golly gee whiz technology will do and said Hold it, just a DanG minute. He stopped yapping so I asked Can I make a call?
Yes. Can I receive a call? Uh yeah. Can I get call display and voice messages? Yeah. Then that's all I want! I have no intention of reprogramming the orbiting space station. He looked at me and said I will probably never use 10% of what it is capable of, I replied I am fine with that. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 19, 2022, 05:00:20 PM
😆 🤣 😂
I aint that old.   I dont think any way.     I just never needed more than text and talk. :)
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Raider Bill

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on April 19, 2022, 07:16:20 PM
Quote from: Raider Bill on April 19, 2022, 05:00:20 PM
😆 🤣 😂
I aint that old.   I dont think any way.     I just never needed more than text and talk. :)
Jitterbug bug 2
. Flip phone and it has big buttons.
Jitterbug Flip2 | Best Big Button Flip Phone for Seniors | Lively
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

GRANITEstateMP

B.C.C Lapp, aka Cutie to your log buyers. I'm 41, have zero desire to ever have a phone that doesn't flip open (unless Nextel and those yellow bricks come back).  I got me a new flip phone last year, from Verizon. It turned out my old phone was still under warranty, so now I've got a spare flipper!

Barbender, what you said about getting sucked into the phone vs doing what ya planned on doing is why I don't have a fancy phone. My willpower... not so strong!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

gspren

Back when I had an official job (10 years ago) I needed a new phone, because of security regulations we were not allowed cameras at work so I tell the cell phone salesman I want a phone without a camera. After he stared at me a minute he said "but they're free" I reiterated I can't have a phone with a camera, he couldn't understand but he looked and didn't have one so I left and tried another place that had a basic flipper without a camera. Since I retired it doesn't matter but I wonder if they have any now, back then some guys got the phones with cameras and either left them at home or parked outside the gate and left their phone in the car.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moodnacreek

I don't carry a phone. If I did no work would ever get done. If I had employees it would be different. Everybody wants price and availability but that means nothing to me as most will never show up so let em find me if they really want lumber. Cell phones are the rudest thing ever invented. Why stop to talk to someone when they will constantly answer their phone? I do keep a flip phone put away to have when I go to camp where there is no reception, thank God. My wife bought me one of those old folks phones but as soon as I get in the mountains it doesn't work, probably just as well.

trimguy

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Jeff on April 19, 2022, 08:22:27 PM
Ah thats nothin!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=16701.0
Yeah, I read that thread a year or so ago and it's still funny. I'll have to remember to ask Kevin on Saturday when I finally meet him, if he has recovered from that yet. Timely post Jeff, it will add to the conversation on Saturday. :D :D :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Look far enough and you should find a picture of Kevy showing up here to the pigroast that year wrapped in a towel. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Jeff - that reminds me of an event from a few years before that happened. We all had been issued "alpha-numeric" pagers where the message sender could basically send a text from a computer to your pager, the sender was identified at the beginning of the message.  We were at a training event when all of our pagers went off at the same time - that usually meant training was over and it was time to go to work, but this was different.  We all stood there reading line by line, it was from the unit CO - going by memory here there was a reference to some Foo Fighters song, missing your warm body last night, and other details that can't even be posted in the restricted section.  About the same time we all looked at each other, rolled our eyes, and turned away so nobody would bust out laughing as the CO was within ear shot.  Oh - and we were home at the time, so......yea, it was funny, but not good.     
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Jeff on April 19, 2022, 10:42:24 PM
Look far enough and you should find a picture of Kevy showing up here to the pigroast that year wrapped in a towel. ;)
With all due respect to both you and Kevin, I will take a polite 'pass' on that opportunity for further research. I have an imagination and that is good enough. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Jeff on April 19, 2022, 08:22:27 PM
Ah thats nothin!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=16701.0
I thought of this immediately when I read the op.  :)
I've had a few mistakes, and a few close calls. I wear contacts so I don't smash into things with the Jeep. Makes reading the phone difficult. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

I've been using a Rugby from Samsung for the last 9 years buying replacements off eBay for $5-$15.

Now I have a new flip phone!  Back in November or December, AT&T sent me a new (really, really crappy) flip phone with a note saying my Rugby phone was not going to work come February when they upgrade the network and said they were going to disable my phone in 2 weeks.

I was having none of that!  Called them up and said I wanted a better phone - they had nothing in a flip.  So I went to a AT&T store and found what I wanted, a Sonim X3.  Wrap it up!  "Sorry, don't have any in stock and I can't sell it to you anyway - reserved for First Responders (water proof, shock proof), but they don't want them, they want iPhones."

I couldn't believe my ears.  I gave them a piece of my mind as I stormed out.  Tried another store, same story.  Called AT&T again and got a helpful person (for once).  He sold me the phone and it was $60 cheaper than in the store.  Its a great phone and works great.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

thecfarm

I have a cheapy trac phone, Flip phone
The only reason I have one is because of the wife. She wants me to be able to call her when I drop on a tree on me.  :o
I had a small trac phone, not a flip one in my front pocket. I picked a big rock up and put the rock against my leg. Hit the screen and that phone was gone!!! Then I went to flip phone. Much better. I think I have one more of the flip phone tucked away. I like them, they are small, fit in my pocket nicely.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

Another rock story from Ray.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!