iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer setter and sharpener

Started by LeeB, October 12, 2003, 11:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I have an oppertunity to buy a used woodmizer setter and sharpener,96 model, for $500. Can anyone tell me if this is a decent price. How are they for sharpening other brands of blades? Any replies will be helpfull. LeeB ???
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bibbyman

We had the Wood-Mizer blade maintenance package (grinder and setter) we had bought new in 94.  We sold a couple of years ago for $1000.00.  I think the blade maintenance package is just under $2,000.00 now.  The setter looks like it's been improved from what we had.

We sharpened a couple of different brands of blades besides Wood-Mizer.  They all had the same tooth pitch.  If the counture of the tooth is different on another brand, then the Wood-Mizer grinder is going to change the contour.  The cam used determines the contour and I think there are several cams available.

Wood-Mizer Blade Maintenance Package
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Woodmizer's setter and sharpener are well built and worth owning. I have two.  On the sharpener, wear is usually in the bushings, which can be replaced   On the setter, wear is usually the dry rotting of the o-rings on the pawls.  They are replaceable too.

The water pump is nothing but a Little Giant and they are available most anywhere.  I've never had a problem with mine.  The blade support arms and their bolts suffer from corrosion after 8 or 10 years, but, you will probably build a table for blade support anyway.

WoodMizer sells cams for all of their blade configuratios.  You can make cams to fit your own configuratios if you like, although it would take some effort.  You can shape the stone to "help" fit some deeper gullets or taller teeth.

The stones on Wood Mizers sharpener are harder than most everyone else's.  They say it is because of the speed of the grinder and that it runs in a water bath. I have always gotten my stones from them so I don't worry about trying to find replacements.

Your quoted price on a blade maintenance kit is a good one. They hold their value.

LeeB

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Pretty much had my mind made up and now I'm sure. The only thing wrong, at least as far as I know, is the cam motor needs new brushes. I am thinking that should be an easy fix. LeeB ;D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bro. Noble

Sounds like a great buy to me.

We have sharpened several different brands of blades on ours.  We sharpen 1 in blades for our resaw and have sharpened 3/4 pitch blades as well.  CouldnT use the setter on 1 in,  3/4 pitch blades,  but have some 1 in,  7/8 pitch blades now that I'm going to try.

I got some blades from Whitepe that he learned on.  I even got them to where they would saw ::)

There were two blades that showed no signs of ever being in  wood,  but were bent,  dull,  and had a couple of broken teeth. :)  What's the story Perry ??? :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Thank You Sponsors!