iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 346xp, stihl MS280 & 260

Started by chugbug, June 04, 2008, 08:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chugbug

Stay with me guys , I'm learning alot here and I know you have been through this before , but I think I have it narrowed down to these 3 saws . They all have about the same 50.1 C.I. except the 280 is listed at 54.7. And there all in the same weight range , 346 is 11 pds. the ms 280 is 11.7 and the ms 260 is 10.6 . I think someone said the ms280 isn't in the same class ( not being a professional saw ) so it might not be a fair comparison as I believe the husky 346xp and the stihl ms260 are both pro saws , so which one would you pick ???

Urbicide

You are correct about the MS-260  & the 346XP NE being pro saws. I have a 346XP NE. It is has become one of my favorite saws. I have not run a MS-260 so I can't really comment on it. (Btw, all Stihl pro saws, with the exception of the MS-200T, have white handles).

The "classic" 346XP was basically designed as a high speed limbing saw. The New Edition version is a much better over all saw. It is easily destinguished from the older version by its silver colored clutch cover.

One other saw you might want to look at is the Dolmar 5100S.

chugbug

Do you feel the 346 or the 260 would make a good overall firewood saw ?? I cut smaller stuff around the house maybe up to 12'' and whatever I get on a tri-axle load of oak   .Weight is a big factor for me , to give you some info my old saw is 13 1/2 pounds with bar and chain and I can handle that fine .I never had an up to date fast cutting saw and want to do it right the first time .I think I could narrow it down to either the new husky 346xp or the stihl ms260 and it sounds like the husky has more up to date anti vib and is a little cheaper , everyone seems to think the 260 is a little behind the times .

Urbicide

Either saw will fit your needs. My 346XP NE is pretty much my go to saw. If I know I am going to need something a bit bigger then I grab my EHP 359 or my EHP 372XP.

One thing I would recommend for you. If you get the Husqvarna and it has a catalytic muffler (will have a green fuel cap and say e tech on the recoil housing) replace it with a stock, non e tech version (non EPA). The reason being the catalyst produces a ton of heat and since it is attached to the cylinder it will not permit it to cool properly. It is a virtual heat magnet. A new muffler should run around $35 to $40. It will also give a bit more performance too since it is not as restrictive.

SawTroll

Quote from: Urbicide on June 04, 2008, 11:57:37 PM
Either saw will fit your needs. My 346XP NE is pretty much my go to saw. If I know I am going to need something a bit bigger then I grab my EHP 359 or my EHP 372XP.

One thing I would recommend for you. If you get the Husqvarna and it has a catalytic muffler (will have a green fuel cap and say e tech on the recoil housing) replace it with a stock, non e tech version (non EPA). The reason being the catalyst produces a ton of heat and since it is attached to the cylinder it will not permit it to cool properly. It is a virtual heat magnet. A new muffler should run around $35 to $40. It will also give a bit more performance too since it is not as restrictive.

No-brainer really - the Husky is a much better saw than either Stihl.

I have a weak spot for the ol' 260, but not weak enough to buy one.....

Btw, the Husky cost a lot more than either Stihl here - I still didn't have the slightest doubt about buying one..... 8) 8)
Information collector.

chugbug

Hey guys , I stopped in at the stihl dealer today and got to hold the 260 ,  its a very nice handling saw , none of the home owner self adjusting junk on it , not very much at all to go wrong on the outside , self oiling , no manuel ( hope thats ok) does have the side chain adjust screw where its easy to get at and only 10.6 pds in weight . I didn't come home with it yet ,I still want to see the husky 346xp .

Saw troll , what do you like about the husky so much more than the 260 ??, I'm sure the husky has more anti vibe but I won't be running it all day so thats not a huge factor, what else is the 260 lacking !!

SawTroll

Quote from: chugbug on June 05, 2008, 06:01:47 PM
Hey guys , I stopped in at the stihl dealer today and got to hold the 260 ,  its a very nice handling saw , none of the home owner self adjusting junk on it , not very much at all to go wrong on the outside , self oiling , no manuel ( hope thats ok) does have the side chain adjust screw where its easy to get at and only 10.6 pds in weight . I didn't come home with it yet ,I still want to see the husky 346xp .

Saw troll , what do you like about the husky so much more than the 260 ??, I'm sure the husky has more anti vibe but I won't be running it all day so thats not a huge factor, what else is the 260 lacking !!

Compared to the NE346xp - air filtration, anti-vibe, throttle responce and power.....
Information collector.

chugbug

OK Sawtroll ,I'll check out the husky as soon as I can and see how it feels , thanks for the help . Wish there was some place you could run them and really get a feel and see how they cut !!! So far I haven't been able to find any of are local loggers using either saw . Jonsereds seems to be used quite a bit because they like the dealer , I no there basically the same as the husky . The jonsered  I saw this week  had the primer bulb , it just seems like a week spot to me . But I did like the compression release , man that saw was easy to pull and the release turned off by itself.

NYH1

chugbug, if you have good Johnny Red support in your area, see if you can check out a 2153.  It's pretty much the same saw as the NE 346XP, different front handle bar angles and color.  For some reason they list it has having a tad less power then the NE 346XP, I don't know why. 

My NE 346XP has a 16 inch bar and 21LP (H21) chain.  It flat out rips.  A 2153 should do pretty much the same.

I would definitely look at a 2153 or NE 346XP.       
Husky NE346XP 16/18" b&c,  365XT 20/24" b&c, 435 16" b&c
Jonsered CS2258 18" b&c
Homelite Super XL Auto
]Stihl 021 14/16" b&c, 036 Pro project saw
Amsoil Saber Oil, 50:1, 90 oct. E-free Fuel.

SawTroll

Quote from: NYH1 on June 07, 2008, 12:29:21 AM
chugbug, if you have good Johnny Red support in your area, see if you can check out a 2153.  It's pretty much the same saw as the NE 346XP, different front handle bar angles and color.  For some reason they list it has having a tad less power then the NE 346XP, I don't know why. 

My NE 346XP has a 16 inch bar and 21LP (H21) chain.  It flat out rips.  A 2153 should do pretty much the same.

Welcome here!! 8) 8)

...and you are right.... :)
Information collector.

NYH1

Quote from: SawTroll on June 07, 2008, 09:02:25 AM
Quote from: NYH1 on June 07, 2008, 12:29:21 AM

Welcome here!! 8) 8)

...and you are right.... :)
Thanks SawTroll! ;D
Jonsered CS2258 18" b&c
Homelite Super XL Auto

jokers

The 2153, just as the Husky 353, is ported differently and does have less peak horsepower than the 346 but a wider powerband. I`d recommend the 353 or the 2153 over the 346, even the new edition 346 to the average guy cutting firewood.

I`d also suggest that chugbug not rule out the 280 too quickly if the price is right. I owned for a long term demo and found it to be a very nice saw with decent power and torque for it`s weight, quite a bit more torque than any of the saws being discussed here. It was a good enough saw that I had no qualms about selling it to a friend who I see fequently. He`s ecstatic about it but his prior experience was with a Poulan and an ms290.

SawTroll

Russ, it looks like you mix up the 2152 and the 2153 - the 2152 is the 353, and the 2153 the NE346xp.............. ;)
Information collector.

chugbug

Don't have a johnny red  dealer very close but maybe one hour  away , Have a husky dealer much closer , are there any differences or are they identical saws ?? I will see how much less the 280 is , but I think someone said they weren't made anymore . Is ther any chance the johnny red hasn't been updated like the husky 346xp with the newer 50 cc engine .

jokers

Quote from: SawTroll on June 08, 2008, 03:43:50 PM
Russ, it looks like you mix up the 2152 and the 2153 - the 2152 is the 353, and the 2153 the NE346xp.............. ;)
Yes, you`re right SawTroll! The 2153 has less power because it is red.........or maybe because that`s how the Husky marketers like it to be perceived.  ;)  :D

SawTroll

Quote from: chugbug on June 08, 2008, 09:08:47 PM
Don't have a johnny red  dealer very close but maybe one hour  away , Have a husky dealer much closer , are there any differences or are they identical saws ?? I will see how much less the 280 is , but I think someone said they weren't made anymore . Is ther any chance the johnny red hasn't been updated like the husky 346xp with the newer 50 cc engine .

If it is a 2153 it is the new one - the old 346xp is the 2147 when it is a Jonsered.
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: jokers on June 08, 2008, 10:16:34 PM
Quote from: SawTroll on June 08, 2008, 03:43:50 PM
Yes, you`re right SawTroll! The 2153 has less power because it is red.........or maybe because that`s how the Husky marketers like it to be perceived.  ;)  :D

Yes the power rating is a tad less on the Jonsered - it is with some other models as well, and vice versa with the 2159 vs. 359.

I believe it is just marketing.......... ::)

I stay with the Husky versions anyway, mostly because of the handlebar angle, even though the Jred ones looks better.
Information collector.

NYH1

Quote from: SawTroll on June 09, 2008, 02:33:15 AM

I stay with the Husky versions anyway, mostly because of the handlebar angle, even though the Jred ones looks better.
I feel the same way.  Plus in my experience, the Johnny Red's cost more then the equivalent Husky's.  In my area the 2153 cost $50 to $60 more then the NE 346XP. 

Jonsered CS2258 18" b&c
Homelite Super XL Auto

dancan

Quote from: chugbug on June 04, 2008, 10:30:00 PM
Do you feel the 346 or the 260 would make a good overall firewood saw ?? I cut smaller stuff around the house maybe up to 12'' and whatever I get on a tri-axle load of oak
I've not cut any 12"oak but have blocked alot of 10''+ spruce and maple and have found that the bigger saw = less time working , if i was going to rely on 1 saw I'd be looking at the Makita6401/Dolmar5100 or the stihl MS361(my preference ;))

chugbug

Thanks for the advise , I have a larger saw for cutting big stuff , but find a heavy saw is just to hard on my back especially when cutting odds and ends up in the woods , this saw will replace my old homelite super ez , so I was trying to stay in that weight class 14 - 15 pds , I see that the big saw might work ok for cutting up the oak I got from the tri-axle load as I'm not bending over as much and like you said its quicker . I can't wait though to see the difference in these smaller saws compared to my big old homelite VI955 , I'm thinking the new much faster saws might cut faster even though they don't have the horsepower .

chugbug

Finally made it to the husky dealer , picked up the 346xp and looked at the tag 3.7 hp , thats the specs for the new edition saw , looked at the side cover and it has a very tiny grey insert , so I am not sure whether its a new edition or not , no compression release !!! I asked the owner and he wasn't aware of a new edition model ! So I get home and see on this site  that the new edition has the comp. release !! This saw has the new edition tag on it and isn't the new saw !! I didn't buy it and was very dissapointed , I try pulling the rope to see how hard it would be to turn over and decieded I definatley want the release .This isn't getting any easier and I'm getting discouraged with all the model changes . Now I'm wondering if the husky 353 would be good enough or go back to the stihl 260 pro model or try and order the ne346xp without the etec muffler !!!

Urbicide

I would find a 346XP NE. I am glad that you  knew the difference between the "classic" version & the new one. You have done your research. Can't say the same for the dealer you went to. (I bought mine last September).  Nothing like having a bad case of buyer's remorse. It's your money to spend so you should buy what you want.  pull_smiley

chugbug

I can't believe he had it tagged as the new saw , but most probably aren't aware of the change , I did thanks to this site and all the info you guys have been good enough to explain to me . Wouldn't it be a bugger if you purchased that saw and then found out later thats it not the N. E. . Any other thoughts on the three saws husky ne346xp , 353 or stihl 260 pro ?I think what had him puzzeled was they didn't change the model  number on the new saw , I would think with such a big difference in cubic Inch they would have changed the number and then it would have been easier to realize the change . On the other hand MAN do they change these saws alot !!!!!!!!!!

Both the stihl 260 regular not the pro and the husky old mod. 346xp are the same exact price in my area , not sure how much more if any the new edition will be .

Urbicide

The NE 346XP should be pretty close to the price of the original, if not the same. I would think that a dealer would discount the older models to get them out of their inventory.

SawTroll

Quote from: Urbicide on June 15, 2008, 01:33:07 PM
The NE 346XP should be pretty close to the price of the original, if not the same. I would think that a dealer would discount the older models to get them out of their inventory.
Exactly the same price here - at least when I bought mine....

Personally, I have never used the decomp valve, and as long as I don't use it, there probably are no reason to plug it - but I have the plug ready....
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!