iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 350 or stihl ms250?

Started by lt, July 01, 2004, 02:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lt

Will be using periodically, primarily to cut firewood for our woodstove.

Which is better for my application and why?

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Your bio filled out will help get to know you.
Pick a dealer that handles each, and go with the local dealer that you like best. Its a "Ford" or "Chevy" call, so to speak, and, although I would go with Stihl, it makes no big difference. With care, you should expect good performance from either. The woodstove certainly will not care which you have.  :)

The important things about cutting wood (regardless of brand), is to keep the cutting bar out of the dirt (always) and know how to keep the chain sharp (always). Know how to keep the fuel clean, and the filter clean (always), and the correct mix of oil in the gas.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

When learning how to drive a car for the first time, there are so many more important issues than what brand of car to buy. The car doesn't matter so much, you still need to learn safe driving no matter what brand of car.

Both of the saws mentioned are solid performers and have excellent reputations as quality homeowner saws. Buy the one from the better dealer.

lt

Rocky,

I'm not sure how my post gave you the impression that I am hung up on brand. I think you are reading an awful lot into it. As for the dealers, they are one and the same. My dealer carries, services and recommends both brands.

Users that I have spoken to, as well as dealers seem to prefer Husky and Stihl and recommend one or both of the two brands. It appears that for my application, based on the specs, either will do fine. I am simply trying to determine if there is a discernable difference in quality, performance, and/or features between these two saws, based on user experience.

SasquatchMan

Better filtration on the husky, better chains on the Stihl?

:)... really I agree with Rocky on this one.  Buy the one you like better for whatever reason, given that the dealer is one and the same.

I REALLY like Stihl's new filler caps, and I like the position on most of the saws better than the equivalent Huskies, but air filtration and antivibe are supposedly better on the husky...what can you do?  No saw is perfect.  Pick the one that feels right, pick the one that you feel YOU can service the most...

You might also look at the Dolmar Makita saws to compare a small utility saw.  They're very good and the price is good too.  But if you trust the dealer, buy something he feels is serviceable.
Senior Member?  That's funny.

beenthere

It
I didn't read anything like that into Rocky's post. He seemed to support picking either brand, IMO.

I think we each would tell you to pick the brand we already picked. Your decision, I think, goes beyond the brand. Enjoy making it, It. ;D   Now, go buy the Stihl. :D

Keep cool.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Engineer

Buy the Stihl.

Why?

Because I said so.   ;D

Seriously, either saw is fine.  Go with the local dealer who has a reputation for good service, and/or go with the saw that feels best in your hands.  I did, and bought Stihl, after running Jonsered and Husky saws, realized I liked the balance and feel of the Stihl saws over the others.  "Your Mileage May Vary".

lt

Thanks to all. I wound up purchasing the Stihl MS 250, ran it for 7 hours over two days and found it to be satisfactory. I did notice that I had to ease off the throttle very slowly or else the engine would cut out. Is this typical, or do I need to get it adjusted?

incognitive

beenthere

That doesn't sound acceptable to me. Get some dealer help, IMO, or carefully go thru the manual for setting the carb (I say carefully because I thought I could do it without 'carefully' following the manual, and just made the problem worse).  :)
My dealer said to get some hours on the new saw before getting too picky about the idling, etc. I still like my Stihl 041 which has been so rock solid for almost 30 years, winter/summer/whatever. Cannot remember ever setting or tinkering with the carb adjustments and it always starts first pull on idle after first few minutes of warming up. I hope the same for the new MS361, but think I am expecting too much.  ;)

Good luck, and hope you like your choice.
south central Wisconsin

incognitive

I have run into some problems on newer saws with them cutting out.  Almost like they ran out of gas but with a full tank.  The common denominator was use of the saw at part-throttle.  The throttles really need to be used as an on/off switch.  In every case that totally took care of the problem.  Don't sit there and let the engine scream the whole time you're cutting a 1/2" limb, or anything.  You can rev it up and let go of the throttle, cutting the limb with the chain coasting.

Ed_K

Thanks In, you solved a problem I was having with my 2171 Jon. It would die every now and then, cutting cordwood in the sawbuck. It ran fine cutting in the woods. Running it wide open yesterday on cordwood, took care of it cutting out  8).
 See you can learn new stuff every day  ;D.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!