iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Finnish can I use

Started by Stephen1, January 14, 2009, 09:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Hi guys,   I have built a number of pine benches, and would like to put some finish on them. My problem I have to use my wood stove heated shop. These will be used out of doors, and maybe inside. I am afraid of the vapors blowing up in my shop. What wood be bomb proof or is there anything. I can leave them till the spring but they all are sanded and I would like to finish them now.
Any help would be appreciated.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Sprucegum

If the benches are going to be used outside an oil-based finish would be best, easier to slap on another coat when they need it. Look for deck stains.

Blowing up is not a problem  ::)  ;)  Make sure you have good ventilation till the fumes disipate and you should be OK

Dodgy Loner

Waterbased polyurethane is another option.  The nice thing about it is that there's no concern about fumes.  I don't use it often, but I've had good luck with it when I did.  I think the brand I used was minwax.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Tom

I've been wanting to find a beautiful Finnish woman to put on your bench,but they are all Naked.

Stephen1

Quote from: Tom on January 14, 2009, 10:45:06 PM
I've been wanting to find a beautiful Finnish woman to put on your bench,but they are all Naked.
Tom, in this cold, that would be nice ;)
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ohsoloco

I've been finishing a lot of window casing lately with oil based poly....doing it in the basement with the wood stove running at the same time.  That's all I heat the house with, so I close off the upstairs, open the basement door, and do my thing.  I load the stove when I'm done, go upstairs, and leave the door open for at least an hour or two to let the fumes out.  I'm more afraid of critters coming in the basement to get warm than the house blowing up  :D

Left Coast Chris

The wipe on oil based polyurathane is great stuff.  I used it in my shop which I struggled to get to 65f.   It set great and is tuff also.   I did let it dry for a couple of log loads in the stove (5 or 6 hours) then carefully moved them into the house to finish the hardening.  Worked great.   Just don't use spray cans around the stove. 

The problem is that the polyurathane is not recommended for exterior use that I know of.  Spar urathane is normally recommended for outdoors.  Its good but still is not maintenance free and will deteriorate over time in direct sun. 

If they will be in direct sun the deck oil products would be the best bet.  Even they need to be recoated every few years but at least you don't have to strip previous coats.  Food for thought.  Let us know what you try and show a pic..... :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Thank You Sponsors!