iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

furniture made with crotches (sp?)

Started by ljmathias, December 04, 2009, 03:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

I've just lucked into a couple wild cherry logs- not too big but definitely worth cutting, so I did.  One in particular was large enough to make some pretty nice boards, most with some or all of a crotch that was not quite perfectly split into two branches.  Guess I was thinking ahead when I bucked it in the woods (although I don't remember any thinking at all, productive or otherwise) and I cut it to leave a couple feet on each branch above the Y and about 6' on the 'leg.'  Anyway, I'm wondering what to make with these beautiful pieces of wood- cut them 5/4 so I should be able to plane them and sand and still have enough thickness left for nice legs, was what I was thinking- maybe make a small table or desk with the Y pointed down?

So the question is: what have you made or seen with such natural Y's in them?  I did a google but almost everything I found used the crotch as a top for some live-edge tables and desks; they don't look quite right to my taste, so I thought legs might be more useful...

Thanks, all.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Tom

The portion of squirrelly grain can be used for most any project, from board to turning.  Most of the larger crotch-wood pieces I've seen were table tops, chair tops, or bookcase ends.  if the boards are wide enough, you make two 4/4 boards with the crotch at the bottom and place on each end of a book case.  The wider Y (upside down) makes a wide floor surface like having feet.

If the pretty grain is too small, finish it and put it in a frame for hanging on the wall.  It can be its own picture.

DanG

I like the idea of using them for legs on a rustic table or bench.  Perhaps a fern stand for your porch(or $omeone el$e'$ porch). ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jim king

I have made small batches of flooring and wainscoting from bloodwood as shown and some others.

ting

Tom

They would make a heck of a Board of Education too.

That sure is red, Jim!

metalspinner

Depending on the width, uprights for some shelves would be neat.  Leave the live edge on the shelf, too.

I have a few large walnut crotch pieces that may become legs of a trestle-type table.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Lud

Big crotches are great for turning!    You never know what you'll find inside!  Flames and other stuff! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Brad_bb

How can you post this without a pic?  That's not right.  Crotches are used more and more in timber frames these days, as framing members if they are appropriate size etc.  Just thinking, if small, maybe appropriate to mount and oval mirror for the entry hall?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

jim king

Here are some crotch turnings and a good sized blank.  I do not like clear high grade wood.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm with YOU, Jim. Down here, they brag on clear, straight grain wood, and throw ALL the knotty, crotchy. swirley wood, away. If a piece has a broken end, or much wane, it's MALO O basura. ( Bad or Garbage. )
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

treecyclers

I have used crotches for numerous applications other than tabletops.
If you have two or four nice boards, skim the bark off, and use them bookmatched end wise.
Use one piece for the back of a chair, it's mate for the seat. Looks really cool, especially as a matched pair.
Rockers look exceptional like that too. Gives a new meaning to custom furniture.
If the figure is poor, and the boards are long enough, us can use them for bookcase ends. Makes a natural foot that some people like.
Of course, if you're still unsure of what to do with them, you can always send them to me and I'll build something pretty.
;P
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

ljmathias

Thanks for the offer, Treecyclers (is there more than one of you in there?) but you all have given me some ideas.  One of the posts mentioned using a crotch as the back or seat of a chair or rocker- hadn't occurred to me and that might be real fine looking.  Got to think about that some more and do some visualizing to see if that's a project I want to start right now.  Let's see, got the new design for a timber frame sawhouse I've half finished; go my wife's new desk made of Katrina pecan that's been drying for several years now; got the rest of the siding on the west side and south side of the new house for the youngest son; got the upstairs floor which will be wood of some sort cut to some reasonable thickness but probably not tongue and groove since I don't have access to a molder or shaper; plus all the fire wood to cut tomorrow and finish the 4X12 chicken "trailer" for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow... yeah, it's gonna be a long day tomorrow...  Night all; sleep tight.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!