iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction

Started by Diesel 40 Don, April 02, 2019, 02:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel 40 Don

Hello all, new member here.  I decided to make my first post here since I dabble in alternate energy and self-reliance.  I have built a version of the Riche design charcoal distiller and successfully make charcoal for smelting, forging, and grilling.  I also do aluminum casting and have built the Gingery mill.  So, as you can tell if it is off-the-wall impractical, I have either tried it or would like to! 

I have enjoyed reading of all your experiences in this area and look forward to being able to contribute some small amount to the knowledge base.

Regards, Don   

doc henderson

Welcome diesel, I am working nights.  I make lump charcoal as well just using a 30 gallon metal drum.  This forum goes around the world with mainstream stuff and plenty of fringe.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Diesel 40 Don

Thanks for the welcome.  The drum system works well to make charcoal, I chose to go the route I did for several reasons, one being the ease of tapping off the wood gas for possible engine fuel and other uses.  It is very interesting to see how others do things and pick up new ideas.

doc henderson

Working again.  There is a fair amount of solar and wood burning heat discussed here.  I do small amounts of charcoal at a time.  I just like to watch the volatile gasses burn off the top.  Cheers
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Don P

Hey Don, Welcome to the forum. Can you explain or show pics of the Riche charcoal distiller, that is a new one on me.

Diesel 40 Don

Hi Don (is there an echo in here?)  A Riche still is basically an ell shaped pipe surrounded by a firebox and chimney.  The upper and lower ends of the pipe have removable caps for filling and emptying.  A small vent pipe lets the producer gas out, usually it is returned to the fire box to burn but it can be tapped off for external use.  The wood chunks are held inside the pipe so they don't contact the fire and as a result can't burn accidentally.  If I can figure out how to get the picture out of my phone I will post one I took of the gas burning off outside the firebox.  When it gets cooking it roars pretty well and shoots an impressive flame! 

OK, there it is.  I hope it works.  As a bonus my namesake tractor is behind the retort as well. 

luap

welcome to the forum. I have looked through many of Dave Gingery designs and would have been motivated to build something had I not already had access to a fairly complete machine shop and have  a couple lathes, milling machine, etc. at home. My stuff is old, acquired over time from auctions. I have done some aluminum casting so I understand what it is about. So many projects, so little time. I had my shop off grid with some solar panels and four other power design wind mills. Only the panels are still in use as windmill blades only last six years and I got tired of replacing them. So long term grid is cheaper. Any way,welcome aboard. 

Diesel 40 Don

Thanks luap,  It sounds like we are much the same.  I have collected a bit of equipment over the years but had never had a mill.  I decided to give the Gingery one a try mostly for my own education.  I have to say I am reasonably impressed by it.  It is by no means a Bridgeport, or even a Jet, but within its limits a very capable machine.  When you consider what you learn  making it I don't feel my time was wasted.  I don't use it a lot but it has been very handy to have when the need arises.

As for the projects, I agree completely, I need a wealthy patron to finance me so I can spend full time on my experiments!  Your comment on grid power is spot on as well.  For what you get from the utility you can't compete as a small producer.  I like to dabble with it but have no illusions of saving money or getting rich selling power back to the grid.

Well, those comments should raise some hackles! Thanks for the welcome. I hope I haven't worn it out already.

scsmith42

Hi Don, welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you'll fit right in.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!