iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logrite Jr. log arch

Started by tiogajoe, June 21, 2019, 12:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiogajoe

With all the rain we have had here in North central pa. using the mill has been difficult.  I'm trying to avoid making a tank trap out of the sight where the mill is located.  My tractor has ag tires and is great at making deep ruts.  The rain has also made getting logs out of the brush/woods a chore.  This has me looking at logrites small jr. arch.  It looks like it would make getting logs to the roadside much easier and safer?  It also looks like I could move logs around on the mill sight without a lot of mess.  I could leave my tractor with grapple on the side of the mill to load logs instead of moving back and forth to the log pile. Anyone have any experience with this arch?  

btulloh

I don't have any experience with the arch, but I've been through similar conditions here with wet ground and ag tires.  Anything to keep from plowing up the ground with those tires is a good thing.

At the mill site, a log deck would help you quite a bit and it doesn't have to be fancy or complicated.  I built one in a couple hours with 6x6's and it's really helped - both with wet ground and dry ground.  I can stage 5 or 6 logs on mine and don't have to touch the tractor for quite a while.  Mine is gravity mounted, no holes or footings.  I've had no problems with it, even though it's just sitting on the ground.  Not the best way to build a log deck, I know, but it's allowed me to work out the kinks for log deck 2.0 when and if I need it and it didn't take much time or materials.  It's braced to keep things from racking and basically held together with Timberloks.  Simple, quick, effective. 

Good luck with the wet ground.  Things finally dried out here, but I can know what you're up against waiting for that to happen.  I know there'll be plenty of people with log arch experience along shortly to help with that.

HM126

tiogajoe

Quote from: btulloh on June 21, 2019, 01:17:53 PM
I don't have any experience with the arch, but I've been through similar conditions here with wet ground and ag tires.  Anything to keep from plowing up the ground with those tires is a good thing.

At the mill site, a log deck would help you quite a bit and it doesn't have to be fancy or complicated.  I built one in a couple hours with 6x6's and it's really helped - both with wet ground and dry ground.  I can stage 5 or 6 logs on mine and don't have to touch the tractor for quite a while.  Mine is gravity mounted, no holes or footings.  I've had no problems with it, even though it's just sitting on the ground.  Not the best way to build a log deck, I know, but it's allowed me to work out the kinks for log deck 2.0 when and if I need it and it didn't take much time or materials.  It's braced to keep things from racking and basically held together with Timberloks.  Simple, quick, effective.

Good luck with the wet ground.  Things finally dried out here, but I can know what you're up against waiting for that to happen.  I know there'll be plenty of people with log arch experience along shortly to help with that.

Thanks Btulloh,  I've done very little sawing due to very muddy conditions. 

hersnsh#590

I just bought Logrite's fetching arch.  First voyage this afternoon.  PM me.
TK 1600, small sugaring operation, a bench full of J'reds, a tired ford 1710, new to us JD 5065e, 2 Honda 4 whlrs, a Can-Am 580 on tracks, and a very understanding wife.

John Bartley

Quote from: tiogajoe on June 21, 2019, 12:58:14 PM
 Anyone have any experience with this arch?  
I owned one for several years.  Mine was the hand or atv operated style, and it made handling logs in tight areas a breeze.  I had a friend who was an arborist and he'd let me know when he had a nice tree coming down.  Most of his work was urban trees, and having the arch made taking logs out of back yards very easy.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Thank You Sponsors!