iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deck Stain

Started by Kevin, August 28, 2002, 05:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

My boss asked me what the best deck stain was and I said I would have the answer for him in the morning.

What say ye all?

My head is in your hands!  :-/

Jeff

Red wine will stain it pretty good, almost anything spilt on it after midnight on Fridays is good for a stain. Over filling the bar oil resevoir on yer chainsaw will make a nifty little oily stain if thats the look your after. ;D  
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I've used Behr and Thompsons water seals and was disappointed.  I may as well have used soap and water.  That will give you a place to start. :P ;D

Kevin

Rant,
If anything happens to me  I`ll be coming back as a ghost to haunt your cabin in Canada.

Gordon

Sikens, if it's available around your area.

Gordon

Bro. Noble

We used to make a stain for our barns that we liked.  We put it on one year and repeated it the next year, then it was good for ten years or so.  Start with 5 gal of deisel, melt a pound of parrafin in a gallon of boiled linseed oil and add that.  We added red pigment that we got from a paint dealer and a gallon of penta which is a thing of the past.

Jeff,
My Dad was working for Cat in Engine design when they built their new facility at Mossville, Ill. (where Rick S and Whitepe work) that was in the late 50's or early 60's.  They knew that used oil was eventually going to get out of the test bays into the hallways.  They flooded the flours of this magnificent new building with used motor oil so that it would be stained evenly.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

I have used sikens and Thompsons water seal with cedar pigment. My deck is facing the south so it gets hammered with the sun. It is also the deck for the pool, so it wet and dry and wet and dry, plus it gets doused with clorine constantly. It is 8 years old and sill in good shape however: I stain it every other year, and I waited till the second year to stain it innitialy so the treated lumber would dry out. I figured that the new wood, which would spit at you when you hit it with a hammer, would not absorb the water reppelant as well as the dry, and I think I was right. I put 2 coats on.

I have found no difference in the time that either of the stains I used beads water, or holds color. First year stain looks good. Second year looks poor enough I know its time to do it again in the spring.

Kevin, go with drain oil. ;D

Don P

The Thompson's and Behr's both failed consumer reports testing prior to the first test cycle. I've used Thompsons on subfloors only to sweep it off with the first rainwater. Sikkens deck coating seems to be the best commercial product I've seen. The bar oil spot on mine is holding up great though. Sikkens is finicky about moisture content and I think wants a pressure wash first. Noble, that is a dead ringer for a finish recipe from an old navy construction book I have. I think they recomended iron oxide for the red. I worked in a furniture plant that used pool paint on the floors, worked good.

Frank_Pender

Timber Tek is your answer, Kevin.  I have used it very successfully on decks, carved Western Red Cedar bears.  fence posts burried in the ground, facer boards on the ends of rafters before placing the gutters, on 3 x 12's used on a foot bridge spanning a Class I stream, on Western Big Leaf Maple burl to help it keep its luster.  I t also come in a variety of six tints.  You can call them at 1-888-888-6095.  
  Kevin, if you would like, I could fax your boss or yourself some information on the product in the morning, if you wish.  
  As you can see, with my response, I am trying tosave your head. ;D  But I do like the idea that Cat had about flooding the hallways with oil.   8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Kevin

Thanks for all the info, I`ll pass it on.
This is like one stop shopping, you can ask any question here and get some solid information on just about any subject matter.

Jeff

Does solid subject matter have an odor?

Frank_Pender

Hey, Kevin, are you still kicking?   What did you boss have to say about the suggetions?   He might consider giving you a reprieve from the "platter" if you can show you have been trying, at least. :D :D :D 8)
Frank Pender

Kevin

Frank,
He was very appreciative  for the information.
He wants to take the time and do it right and he`s willing to pay for something that will last.
 Thanks again.

Frank_Pender

Sounds great, Kevin.  Let me know if I can help in any way.  
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!