iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can you tell the wood type just from the smell?

Started by flatrock58, September 27, 2016, 09:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 06, 2021, 03:27:21 PM
Walnut smells like new $$$$
Yes it does and cedar is the other wood you never loose money on.

caveman

Yesterday, while John was in the canoe in the pond looking for some 8' or 16' heart pine logs so we could finish our order, he came across a log that he was trying to identify.

We have live oak, cypress, cedar, pine, and a few others.  He reached down into the water and pulled off some of the bark from the log in question.  He correctly identified it by smell.  It was camphor.  Camphor smells like Vick's Vapor Rub.

We pulled it and will saw live edged slabs out of it.
Caveman

Don P

My wife's folks had a heavily carved camphor "kist", chest, they brought back from Indonesia. Quite a piece, I guess it had started with ~9/4 stock. I couldn't smell it until opened, much like a cedar chest. Then it would clear whatever ailed you.

Quercusrubrum

Walking into an industrial spruce mill is interesting I like the smell, but it almost has a chemical smell to it... Like an industrial cleaner. 

Ive never milled aspen, but I love the smell when it is harvested. Kind of musty, but I like it. 
Never cross a river that is 4 feet deep on average.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

moodnacreek

Tulip tree has a pleasant odor but only a certain time of year when it also has violet stripes that disappear in the air. Red pine can smell like tomato. Atlantic white cedar has the most pleasant smell but it is faint.

cutterboy

The smell of sawn white pine is very nice, but after sawing it for a few days I don't like the smell any more.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

WDH

White oak and walnut are both very aromatic and distinctive when sawn and they are my favorites.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Wattwood

Eastern cottonwood smell like a prewar Gibson banjo case...or the other way around depending on what you're standing next to.
LT15 Electric and a couple Ferguson tractors

Don P

We got burned out and up on WRC. People would come into a house, "doesn't that smell wonderful". In my mind I was thinking, every bug on the planet recognizes that as poison, we aren't that bright  :D.

DanMc

Don—. It's not a matter of smarts.  We don't eat the wood. Lol

Glad to see this thread getting some more attention.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

Thank You Sponsors!