iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting into portable sawmilling - Lucas Mill Canada

Started by BigMac37, April 10, 2021, 04:41:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMac37

Hello!
I have been looking around on the forum here about Lucas Mills, but haven't seen anyone from Canada having one.
I would like to get into milling lumber, and from what I can see, a Lucas or a Peterson seem to be the way to go. Band mills have a few more cons in my opinion, at least for what I am looking to get into.

Does anyone know how I could go about getting my hands on a Lucas up here in Canada? I have contacted Baileys out of California, but am still waiting for them to get back to me.
Or what the price of a new/used Lucas would be? In either USD or CAD

Any advice would be a big help. Even if there are other alternative mills that I'm not aware of.
Thanks in advance!
Once you blow the blade off the wheels, back the speed off a quarter turn and go again.

Andries

You've come to the right place with your questions - welcome.
Good advice usually follows good background details.
There's space in your profile to tell us a bit more about who you are, where you're from and what you want to mill. 
It sharpens up the kind of advice that starts with; "well, it kinda depends. . . "
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

longtime lurker

I checked the Lucas Mill website and it lists Bailey's as the dealer for both the USA and Canada.

I have no experience with Bailey's but I can talk all day about Lucas Mill as a company, the quality of their products and the fact that they have the best backup service of any business it's ever been my pleasure to deal with. IMHO there may be competing products but they have no competition... if you've got the right logs they are the best bang for your buck sawmill there is, and well-nigh indestructible.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

dgdrls

Quote from: BigMac37 on April 10, 2021, 04:41:13 PM
Hello!
I have been looking around on the forum here about Lucas Mills, but haven't seen anyone from Canada having one.
I would like to get into milling lumber, and from what I can see, a Lucas or a Peterson seem to be the way to go. Band mills have a few more cons in my opinion, at least for what I am looking to get into.

Does anyone know how I could go about getting my hands on a Lucas up here in Canada? I have contacted Baileys out of California, but am still waiting for them to get back to me.

Any advice would be a big help. Even if there are other alternative mills that I'm not aware of.
Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the FF BigMac37,
I agree with @longtime lurker .  I've been very pleased with my Lucas.
What are you looking to saw?
D

ButchC

I own a Peterson and same as the Lucas owners who posted I have nothing but good to say about it and the company. You will not go wrong with either one.  One advantage to the Peterson is the ability to double cut without turnng the entire saw carriage around on the tracks. This feature allows me to more easily cut wider boards with a smaller, and much cheaper mill. However I am NOT knocking the Lucas. It's a nice mill.  If I needed a lot of wide boards I would invest in a cheap manual band mill. 
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

BigMac37

Quote from: longtime lurker on April 11, 2021, 06:20:10 AM
I checked the Lucas Mill website and it lists Bailey's as the dealer for both the USA and Canada.

I have no experience with Bailey's but I can talk all day about Lucas Mill as a company, the quality of their products and the fact that they have the best backup service of any business it's ever been my pleasure to deal with. IMHO there may be competing products but they have no competition... if you've got the right logs they are the best bang for your buck sawmill there is, and well-nigh indestructible.
Would you have an idea of what the price would be of a 8-30 or a 10-30? That's the one thing I haven't been able to find anywhere online to give me an idea of what I'm getting into price wise.
Once you blow the blade off the wheels, back the speed off a quarter turn and go again.

BigMac37

Quote from: dgdrls on April 11, 2021, 07:22:44 AM
Quote from: BigMac37 on April 10, 2021, 04:41:13 PM
Hello!

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the FF BigMac37,
I agree with @longtime lurker .  I've been very pleased with my Lucas.
What are you looking to saw?
D
I would be looking at mostly White/Red pine, Cedar, Spruce, and maybe some Oak or Maple, but it would be soft wood for the most part.
As far as lumber goes, it would be mostly 4/4 boards, maybe some 6/4 with 4x4 and 6x6 out of Cedar and Red Pine.
I'm still not sure on price and availability in my area of getting a Lucas, but the 10-30 seems like the way to go as to not limit myself size wise. 

BigMac37

Quote from: ButchC on April 11, 2021, 07:51:12 AM
I own a Peterson and same as the Lucas owners who posted I have nothing but good to say about it and the company. You will not go wrong with either one.  One advantage to the Peterson is the ability to double cut without turnng the entire saw carriage around on the tracks. This feature allows me to more easily cut wider boards with a smaller, and much cheaper mill. However I am NOT knocking the Lucas. It's a nice mill.  If I needed a lot of wide boards I would invest in a cheap manual band mill.
Would you say that the Junior Peterson with a 6" double cut would be better than a Lucas 10-30 with a 10" single cut? As far as time to break down the same size log, and overall cutting speed/performance?
The one draw back I see to a Peterson is the carriage rails being close to the ground. Do you find it difficult to load logs over them, or keeping them clear of debris?
I like how the Lucas has the rails suspended making loading and debris not really an issue.

And I don't have a need for wide boards. The largest I would need would be maybe 8/4 x 12". What turns me away from a band mill is having to deal with the edging boards, and having to send the blades away to be sharpened.

dgdrls

Give Baileys a chance to respond,
Also, email Lucas directly.

this will keep you occupied as well,
lucas sawmill and sawmill shootout paul buynyan show at DuckDuckGo

D

Ianab

Quote from: BigMac37 on April 11, 2021, 09:23:23 AMWould you say that the Junior Peterson with a 6" double cut would be better than a Lucas 10-30 with a 10" single cut? As far as time to break down the same size log, and overall cutting speed/performance?

The 10-30 Lucas would be better performance, simply because it has 2x the HP. So doing even a 6" cut, that's maxing out the JP, where the bigger Lucas would be cruising.

BUT, I think the bigger Lucas is about 2X the cost? Which makes the JP worth considering. 

The JP is more comparable to the Lucas 6-16 (cost and performance) 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

Quote from: BigMac37 on April 11, 2021, 09:10:00 AMWould you have an idea of what the price would be of a 8-30 or a 10-30? That's the one thing I haven't been able to find anywhere online to give me an idea of what I'm getting into price wise.
No ideas on current pricing sorry. I bought one in 2009, worked it awful hard until about 6 months back, still in good order when I sold it. Already kicking myself because I've twice had to hire a guy with a Lucas Mill in since I sold it...

I looked pretty hard at a lot of competitor mills over the time I owned it. They've all got strengths and weaknesses, pluses and minuses. Sometimes little features make a big difference. For mine start with a look at your resource... Average log size and what's the biggest you expect to tackle can be a long way apart and numbers can be deceiving... I do about 200 tonne of logs at well under a tonne a stick for every real big log- I initially set a mill up for big logs and it made for hard going in the bulk of my resource and meant I had to buy another saw before I could really start to grow a business.

Buy a saw that suits your resource. That'll make for easier work and more profit. That's the best advice I can give anyone
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

pep

Bigmac37
Where in Ontario are you located. Its a pretty big province.
I'm a Lucas owner in Ontario, purchased my mill (827) in 2004.  Put only 1 hour on it in the last two years due to surgery.  Mill has 370 hours on it. Great mill for framing lumber if u can stamp it or live in an unorganized township.  If u want to see it run give me a shout. I know of an 830 ten miles from me

Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

quadracutter222

There is also D&L Swingblades, out of BC.  If Lucas proves to be difficult to source, they would be worth looking at.

ButchC

Quote from: BigMac37 on April 11, 2021, 09:23:23 AM
Quote from: ButchC on April 11, 2021, 07:51:12 AM
I own a Peterson and same as the Lucas owners who posted I have nothing but good to say about it and the company. You will not go wrong with either one.  One advantage to the Peterson is the ability to double cut without turnng the entire saw carriage around on the tracks. This feature allows me to more easily cut wider boards with a smaller, and much cheaper mill. However I am NOT knocking the Lucas. It's a nice mill.  If I needed a lot of wide boards I would invest in a cheap manual band mill.
Would you say that the Junior Peterson with a 6" double cut would be better than a Lucas 10-30 with a 10" single cut? As far as time to break down the same size log, and overall cutting speed/performance?
The one draw back I see to a Peterson is the carriage rails being close to the ground. Do you find it difficult to load logs over them, or keeping them clear of debris?
I like how the Lucas has the rails suspended making loading and debris not really an issue.

And I don't have a need for wide boards. The largest I would need would be maybe 8/4 x 12". What turns me away from a band mill is having to deal with the edging boards, and having to send the blades away to be sharpened.
Comparing a
Jr Peterson and a 10-30 Lucas are not in the same league, performance wise or price wise. Of course the 10-30 will out perform the JR in any situation other than picking it up and moving it.  In that the 6" mills shine. I can break down or set up my mill in 15 minutes given a flat hard surface and I am an old guy. The question you should be asking yourself is what you need out of the mill vs the cost. As many people over buy as under buy and neither is very good.  5 years ago my JP was just over $9000 and a simar size Lucas was very similar. I don't remember the exact prices but when you step up to 8 and 10" mills the price goes up considerably. A 6" Peterson or Lucas will cut a pile a lumber for a hobbyest or home owner and will cut 12" wide boards. In my situation I gladly accept the time consuming double cut process in trade for the pile of money it takes to upgrade to a 10" mill and believe me I wanted a 10" real bad. When you get current pricing it will help you decide
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

ButchC

As to the rail location the low rails are easier to move and set up. Another Peterson advantage is the vertical adjustment is on the carriage which saves a good bit of time and walking around when setting. Yes saw dust builds around the left hand rail, easy to toss it out of the way. There are plenty of videos to watch or better yet get to a logging show. The plusses and minuses of each design will be readily appearant and that is why Peterson build mills both ways, except the JP which is low rails only.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Case W11B

Hilltop366

To help confuse the issue there is also Turbo saw (link on the left).

Happy saw hunting!

Stephen1

Where in Ontario are you. My neighbour is the Canadian dealer for Peterson. He is Gravenhurst Ontario
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

BigMac37

Quote from: pep on April 11, 2021, 09:58:28 PM
Bigmac37
Where in Ontario are you located. Its a pretty big province.
I'm a Lucas owner in Ontario, purchased my mill (827) in 2004.  Put only 1 hour on it in the last two years due to surgery.  Mill has 370 hours on it. Great mill for framing lumber if u can stamp it or live in an unorganized township.  If u want to see it run give me a shout. I know of an 830 ten miles from me

Cheers
Pep
I'm about 4 hours south of Cobalt, near Pembroke.
Are you saying that you're looking to sell it? For the right price/condition I would be interested for sure.

BigMac37

Quote from: quadracutter222 on April 11, 2021, 11:56:53 PM
There is also D&L Swingblades, out of BC.  If Lucas proves to be difficult to source, they would be worth looking at.
I'll take a look at them for sure, thank you!

BigMac37

Quote from: Hilltop366 on April 12, 2021, 01:07:44 PM
To help confuse the issue there is also Turbo saw (link on the left).

Happy saw hunting!
LOL, I will take a look at their mills too, thanks!

BigMac37

Quote from: Stephen1 on April 12, 2021, 09:20:21 PM
Where in Ontario are you. My neighbour is the Canadian dealer for Peterson. He is Gravenhurst Ontario
I'm about 3 hours north west, near Pembroke.
I was talking to a guy from Peterson HQ yesterday, he said the price to ship from NZ was about $15,000 CAD. Then there is still sales tax and freight fees, which I can only estimate would be an extra $4000.
I have a somewhat hard budget of $15,000 all in, so it looks like a even a Junior Peterson is out of my budget.

BigMac37

If anyone here is interested in pricing of these swing blade saws, I'll list them below.

Lucas,
6-16  $9,999
6-18  $11,999
7-23  $13,999
8-30  $16,999
10-30  $17,999
(Price I assume is in USD)

Peterson,
Junior Peterson  $15,198
(Price in CAD, not including tax, handling/brokerage fees, and inland freight fees)

D&L
SB 816 standard  $14,495
SB 816 Ultra Pro  $16,495
SB 1020 Super Pro  $19,495
SB 1020 Ultra Body  $21,995
(Price I again assume is in CAD)

Sources: emails to/from distributors and/or manufactures.

jlink

Hi BigMac,

Did you end up getting a swing mill? If so, what make/model did you go with? I am also in Ontario and looking at getting a mill - just trying to decide between a band or swing mill and would love to hear your experience so far.

Stephen1

Welcome jlink, this is an old post. 
fill out your profile helps the rest of us answer questions.
I am just south of your property, i am in Gravenhurst. I can recommend a forester for you and also if you are looking for a sawmill and would like to see mine running you are more than welcome to drop by. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!