iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finishing ERC Paneling

Started by Stick, March 05, 2015, 12:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stick

I have some very nice ERC planks that I am going to put in my home on the walls. I want to keep it as natural and rustic looking as I can but I would also like for it to keep its red bright color. What would you guys suggest I use to finish it with. The planks will be planed and tongue and grooved. I have pictures in my gallery of the ERC and some quarter sawn white oak I am going to use for flooring. I have not figured out how to post the pictures yet.

hackberry jake

You can't keep it red forever, only prolong it. I have had luck with a coat of boiled linseed oil. Let that dry for at least a week. Then do two or three coats of spar-urethane.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Stick

Thank you I will try that on a couple sample pieces. I also have some quarter sawn white oak that I am going use for flooring and I would also like to leave it as natural as possible, will it hold up as flooring with just an oiled finish or must it have a polyurethane finish??

hackberry jake

It depends on how much "character" you want. With just an oil finish, the wood is still left porous. If you spill a cup of coffee on it, the coffee will act as a stain. I would use poly on flooring.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Stick

that makes sense. i just wanted everything in the house to look as rustic and natural as possible, but on the same hand I will be living in it and I want everything to be durable and last as well. thank you

sandsawmill14

fixing to do the walls in our living room with erc too ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

Im thinking about tung oil
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

GAmillworker

Wow that's awesome.  I agree on the tung oil.
Thank the Lord for second chances

5quarter

Your white oak might stain slightly, but not nearly as bad as you would expect. White oak repels most all staining. there are only 4 ways that I can think of to uniformly change the color of the white oak; bleach, ammonia, the weather and paint.
Personally I'd finish it with something, mainly because every time it gets wet, you'll smell the tannins. might be fine for some, but its the last smell I'd want in my house.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!