iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gearmatic winch won't freespool after sitting

Started by madmari, January 14, 2016, 06:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

Not much to it. I suppose a new rubber is all it would take. I didn't measure this one, but looks to be 1". There is a spring underneath the piston, but that looked good.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

millcreek40

Is there anything under the spring like a piece of Teflon  or just the spring
Two 240A Timberjacks, Mack log truck, Multitek 2040 wood processor.

madmari

I was looking  in thru the hose hole, all I could see was the piston bottom and the spring. I assume there is a rubber seal on the piston, but I didn't remove it.

millcreek40

Under the Allen screw, for the freespool adjustment   Is there suppose to be anything under the spring???

madmari

Dunno. That screw is to set tension on the brake band so when you do get the drum to freespool, it won't overspin into a rats nest. I am going to check mine when I get back to set the tension. This attachment will help.

Ed_K

I had to drill mine out,as it wouldn't turn. When I replaced the allen screw I had to put a short piece of round stock under it as the screw was to short. I wanted it sticking out a little to put a lock nut on.
Ed K

kb88

I got  119 on a 380 tj and I have been fighting with it all winter. It's been wet here and now its down to -1. It takes about an hour of using it to get it to work right. I wish it was easier to take apart and dry out. It makes for a long day pulling on that cable.

madmari

It's like using a dull saw. The time spent fixing the winch right make your days more productive, saving time (and your arms) in the end.
If your winch works good after an hour of use, maybe your bands are just too tight. I set mine by eye, but set them pretty loose. Works really good, so I guess I was close.
  Maybe water got in the clutch too. The main shaft can get sticky. I cleaned off all the grease with WD40 and run it dry. Brake cleaner works good to clean it- no residue.

Plankton

With all these gearmatic threads they should be named problematics. Mine lost all pressure to the clutch today after a few turns, Brake side is still good so I think the clutch cylinder blew apart inside...just rebuilt it a few months ago. To dang cold to think about wrenching today so I went home thermometer reads -1 and wind is blowing like crazy!

HiTech

I know you shouldn't have to do this but I put a mud flap over my 119 when not using. Put the mud flap over it and place a chunk of wood on it to keep it from blowing off and it works. Keeps the water out. I have always been going to make a holder for the mud flap but as yet haven't.

madmari

"There was a little girl with a little curl
In the middle of her forehead
When she was good, she was very good
But when she was bad she was torrid"

The Gearmatic girl. When it works, it'll pull it's guts out.
When it doesn't, it'll pull yours out.

Just too many moving parts that have to align with the planets to accomplish a simple task.

Ed_K

I learned a long time ago to keep mine covered. I have a tarp doubled twice over it and only slide it off enough to keep the cable from catching it when winching.
Ed K

kb88

I pulled mine in the shop yesterday I couldn't take it anymore. Pulled the cover off and adjusted everything and now it works like new. Sure makes things nicer when you can pull the cabble out.

madmari

I fixed mine with an aluminum flashlight held in my teeth in a snowstorm with single digit temps. Still worth it.

kb88

I got lucky I was working 2 miles from the shop. But it was -5 when I drove it here.

47sawdust

If you fellas need a cover for your winch try a piece of rubber roofing.Won't blow away as easy as a tarp and can be easily cut to shape.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

millcreek40

I keep my winch covered with a piece of skidder tube. Works great

62oliver

I cut a plastic barrel, cut the slot for cable at an angle to make it harder for wind to blow off.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/39936/IMG_3534.JPG
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

Ed_K

Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!