iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quickest pine stump removal

Started by livemusic, March 23, 2021, 02:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

livemusic

Anyone know fast way to remove loblally pine stump removal? I have two, say, 22 inch DBH that need to be gone where I want to have a carport installed for me to store a boat. Problem is, there is a bit of a grade there, even a bit of a crown along the center axis of where the carport would be. So, I need to grade some dirt off and make it flat. But the trees are on the axis of the high spot. The stumps, where the stump meets the ground will be about 4 inches above the grade of where it will be once I level it out. So, there is quite a bit of stump to remove.

I am thinking I would be better off to totally remove all wood from the stump hole but I'm open. Such as, burn it out. What's quick? If I hire a grinder, would that be sufficient to dig down deep enough? Are they skittish of 'grinding' dirt or will they just let it rip to get down deep enough so it won't interfere with my carport floor? Carport floor, I haven't decided. Might just be dirt, or gravel or even concrete if I hit the lottery!
~~~
Bill

Wudman

Stump grinder will do the job for you.  They can grind below grade.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Southside

Quickest way would be to mix up some diesel and ammonium nitrate. Stumps will be removed from the ground at 26,000 FPS.

Mind you this suggestion only addresses your question about getting them out fast, where they will be after is left unanswered.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom King

Excavator would be my choice.  That stump will take about 8 years to rot here, and the depression will get deeper over that time, plus some more.  That stump will have a pretty deep, and good sized tap.

Magicman

Dig it out and backfill.  If you use a stump grinder the remaining stump will rot for the next 30 years creating a below ground void.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Runningalucas

I've been digging stumps for a long time with my backhoe.  I go easy, and gentle, but it's still rough on the machine.  Many rental companies won't rent excavators, or backhoes for stumps, as it's so hard on the hydraulics; seals blow, and rams bend. 

It's best to wait a few years after the trees have died as 1st year removal compared to a few years later is incredibly different. 

Having said all of that, I know the oldtimers would use dynamite, but that was back when we could trust people to do stupid crap; in today's nannie state, I guess we're all the threat, so no dynamite.  However, most sporting goods stores sell tannerite.  Considering the ton or more of dirt, and stone attached to the base of the stump, I could see it working good to make a few larger stumps, 'targets', and a heck of a lot easier on any machine removing them.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

mike_belben

Id want a midi size excavator with a thumb, uncover the root flare and sawzall the side roots.  Using a 3" bulb drill, bore holes all around and under to flood the subsoil with collected rainwater and work the thing a million times.. The water will churn the dirt to porridge and slowly lose grip on the roots.  

It will be much easier with a few years of rot, especially drilling in for water and air to support microbes eating away below grade.  Also much easier if you are able to section the stump crowns into 3rds or 4ths like a molar extraction.  You can use a sacrificial chain to bore cut straight down and slot the stump then drive wedges in and sawzall more wherever fiber is holding.  Ive not really stumped pines of any size.  A 22" oak root ball is about 4ft across and cant be picked up by a small skid steer or dragged by a truck. I did one last summer and am still adding dirt to the settled hole. Its a big job, probably done a dozen the past 5 years.

The dirt will need backfilling and compacting or a very long settling with lots of rain and more filling to stabilize and stop leaving a crater.  Be sure to account for ATLEAST 3" of compacted stone base for drainage below the slab.  And also the course of runoff water from this slop must be redirected to never drain into the slab gravels.  

Its a pretty good sized task to do right.  Armed with the information id suggest farming the whole thing out to a competent contractor with the stipulation that you want XYZ done with this outcome of runoff redirect being very critical upfront.
Praise The Lord

barbender

Any excavators, even a mini, should be able to make fairly quick work of that. With smaller machines you just have to start farther out. Keep digging and cutting roots, move in and see if the main stump will flex. If not, go cut more roots. I dig them out with my skid steer fairly often, with a stump that size I will end up with a hole 15' wide and at least 4' deep in the middle.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

The mini will surely do most of the digging but it might not even drag the stump.  Idk.. I never had a mini nor pine stumps.  But my 742 bobcat cant even flip the ball from a 20" + oak.  Totally agree on the size of the moon crater.  
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

36 inch cottonwood, dug with a skid steer back hoe attachment.  pushed and pulled out.  back filled with sandy loam via Dallas and his manure spreader.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I have a Case 1845c, it's about 6500# without tracks on I think. Tracks help a bunch in that situation. A pine stump of that size would likely take me 2-3 hours to get out with it.

aigheadish

I'm in the backhoe it out crowd or an excavator. I've pulled quite a few stumps out with my backhoe. I'm assuming it's a stump already? Things could be easier if it still has a few feet of trunk to it, ideally 6 or 8 feet, then leverage can often pop the stump out with the trunk. Sometimes they are really in there and that wouldn't matter. I have one along my drive way that I've tried yanking down using that leverage and it ain't moving.

This stump is sitting next to my 24" wide hoe bucket, then the hole that was left. It's not difficult to get 4-6 feet deep and yeah, I'll agree that you may need 10-15' diameter to reach all the roots and break them loose, and you need access all the way around the stump. I've never tried getting in the hole to cut roots manually, I've just scraped and tugged on them until they split or popped, sometimes the roots really tried to flip the backhoe. Often you work on one side, give a tug on the top of the stump to see if it's moving at all, then go to the other side and do the same thing. At some point you'll get through the big roots enough that when you pull on the top of the stump you can rock it's way out. Then you've got to work the loose stump out of the hole. This stump was from a recently dead tree, I think Ash, but I'm not positive, but the roots broke off it reasonably well, it was probably about 2' across. 

I think the 2-3 hour time frame is about right like someone else mentioned. Then hole cleanup can be a bit more time depending on the skill level of the operator.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Patrick NC

I dig out stumps that size all the time with a 10,000 lb mini excavator. 12 or 18" bucket so you can dig the roots out all the way around about 3 feet deep without going wider than you have to. Then just wiggle it like a loose tooth and it will pop loose shortly. Drag the stump out next to the hole and dig all the excess dirt off the bottom and push the dirt back in the hole. You should gain enough dirt to finish filling the hole when you grade the area out flat. ( Good time to get that done while you have the mini ex) Rent a plate tamp at the same time to compact the backfill in lifts as you fill the hole back up. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

aigheadish

"Wiggle it like a loose tooth" is perfect @Patrick NC 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Patrick NC

Also, if the trees haven't been cut yet, the stumps are easier to get out if you use the tree for leverage. Or leave the stump a couple of feet high to have something to pull against with the bucket. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Patrick NC

Quote from: aigheadish on March 24, 2021, 03:22:10 PM
I'm in the backhoe it out crowd or an excavator. I've pulled quite a few stumps out with my backhoe. I'm assuming it's a stump already? Things could be easier if it still has a few feet of trunk to it, ideally 6 or 8 feet, then leverage can often pop the stump out with the trunk. Sometimes they are really in there and that wouldn't matter. I have one along my drive way that I've tried yanking down using that leverage and it ain't moving.

This stump is sitting next to my 24" wide hoe bucket, then the hole that was left. It's not difficult to get 4-6 feet deep and yeah, I'll agree that you may need 10-15' diameter to reach all the roots and break them loose, and you need access all the way around the stump. I've never tried getting in the hole to cut roots manually, I've just scraped and tugged on them until they split or popped, sometimes the roots really tried to flip the backhoe. Often you work on one side, give a tug on the top of the stump to see if it's moving at all, then go to the other side and do the same thing. At some point you'll get through the big roots enough that when you pull on the top of the stump you can rock it's way out. Then you've got to work the loose stump out of the hole. This stump was from a recently dead tree, I think Ash, but I'm not positive, but the roots broke off it reasonably well, it was probably about 2' across.

I think the 2-3 hour time frame is about right like someone else mentioned. Then hole cleanup can be a bit more time depending on the skill level of the operator.
I missed @aigheadish addressing leaving the stumps high for leverage. My bad. Wasn't trying to step on your post. 

barbender

If you're digging with a skid steer, what you don't want is a 4' stump, it's a good way to get killed. If you tip the machine forward it will come right in the cab with you. I saw a "Fatalgram" of an operator killed using a shear on a skid steer. He was cutting a multi-stemmed tree, so he had to cut them about 4' high. Grabbed the last one, cut and lifted it and it tipped him forward right onto the stumps which came into the machine and killed him. I about did myself in once pushing over a whole tree with a track skid steer, it had a worn (read really sharp) cutting edge on the bucket that I was pushing 6-7' up on the tree with. One of those instances where I realized what I was doing was a bad idea, at the same time the bad thing happened- the cutting edge sheared the roughly 12" aspen right off, I was trying to keep moving forward to keep the butt in the bucket or I knew it was coming right into the cab. The stump was in the way though, so I swung and turned the machine, allowing the butt to hit the ground by the side of the tracks. I about messed myself I think, that was a close one! 😬
 With an excavator I'm all for leaving a nice tall stump to leverage though.

mike_belben

Skid steer is a very poor stumping tool imo.  And i have a grapple stump bucket to boot. 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: livemusic on March 23, 2021, 02:34:48 PM
Anyone know fast way to remove loblally pine stump removal? I have two, say, 22 inch DBH that need to be gone where I want to have a carport installed for me to store a boat. .........
I had to remove several tree stumps for my Polebarn build in Montana.
tried my Bobcat 331 excavator 8,000 pound. too under powered for the big stumps.
brought the Bobcat E80 excavator, 18,000 pound, and was done in a day
used a frost tooth on each.
this tooth is for the 331.

stump with LARGE root
Bobcat 331 in photo

"let the machines do the work"

goose63

Backhoe a guy up here ground out the stump poured the cement floor a few years later the roots strated to rot out the snakes moved in his wife was ready to shoot him.

Now he cant give the house away. >:(
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

aigheadish

That frost tooth would be ideal to slice through all your roots and get a good hold of the stump top to wiggle it, just a little bit. I wish I could easily toss one of those on the backhoe.

thecfarm

Can't help on the stump, I leave my for 10 years than I try to dig them out.
But on the base, good gravel and high. Get it up in the air and out of the water and mud. Seen too many places without a good high base and and water gets in.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Mike, a skid steer works just as good on stumps as an excavator- when you don't have an excavator😁 My machine is a bit different animal than your Bobcat, too. I have a lot of hours doing more than should be done with a skid, the company I used to work for thought excavators were too expensive so they paid us union wages to excavate all if our driveway work with skids. So you figured out a way to get as quick as possible with what you had at hand🤷🏽‍♂️ I might have to make a stump removal video sometimen it goes faster than you'd think. 

Texas Ranger

Any body mention dynamite?  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ljohnsaw

I wanted the whole stump out so I used the tree for leverage with my SkyTrac

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!