iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

home made setworks

Started by bruce29, September 04, 2011, 06:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce29

I am getting close to finishing my sawmill & wondered if anyone had actually completed a home made setworks system?

pineywoods

Quote from: bruce29 on September 04, 2011, 06:52:53 PM
I am getting close to finishing my sawmill & wondered if anyone had actually completed a home made setworks system?
I never got past the engineering analysis stage. Thats just sitting around thinking about it  ;)  But I'm still interested.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

r.man

Wow, apparently I have done a lot of analyses.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gizmodust

bruce29, I've made a saw set based on a circle set.  It's simple and works for me, simple is always good :D.  The angles are set by changing inserts. Pics in my folder.  Hope it helps.
Always liked wood with alot of character

sgschwend

Not sure what type of setworks you are looking for.  Can you describe what you are looking for?
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

pineywoods

Member shaworth did a bunch of development work on a universal setworks. There is a thread in the sawmill forum. He hasn't logged on since Jan-2011. We corresponded  a bit discussing ideas and potential problems. I'm still toying with some ideas. A magnetic pickup (automotive abs brake sensor) on some rotating part feeding the serial port data input pin on an old junker laptop pc. Do everything else in software in the pc. that I can do. Right now that project is way down on the priorty list. Anybody interested ???
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

shelbycharger400

the counter/pc part is eazy.   I have learned programable logic on allen bradley brick.  Personally i have found through talking to people..go with automation direct,  they will give you the software when you buy a product.
Not shure what your doing, you might be able to get away with a pico controler, which is cheaper, not shure how much logic you want to have, operations, or indicator board, ect ect.
i can help you with some of the programing ect.

rs1626

You might want to look at the unitronics plc's  they give you the software   I have a v120  and a string encoder but have not found the time to do anything with it maybe someday

shelbycharger400

not to jack the thread, rs1626,  what is the unitronics ladder logic like , or similar to.         ive done a little GE, Omron,   and allen bradley...   automation direct is nearly same as allen bradley, and i have a simulator thats similar to both of them from another vendor (logixPro) and i have the books from class too..lol

rs1626

I am not sure how it compares its the only one I have seen you can go to there website and download the software free

shelbycharger400

automation direct has free software too
allen bradley has free software for their 1000 series plc's ( for up to 100 lines of code) all others and such is $$$$, to the tune of $3,000  :-X

barbender

What about some sort of mechanical setworks? Keep it simple, the electronic ones seem too complex for a one off project.
Too many irons in the fire

shelbycharger400

rs1626 i havent blown you off...just busy

i have been in talk ..well sorda.. with rs1626, as to programming.
problem is with electronics. their is endless possibilities,  it gets complicated fast, then when your trying to determine a stratagy for the program, your trying to keep it simple, so keeps amount of needed sensors ect down,
then when your tryin to hook up a member... 10 things come up with the plate already full.

Thank You Sponsors!