iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a Bandsaw Mill

Started by customcutter01, November 18, 2017, 03:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customcutter01

My wife and I both retired this year at 63.  We are looking to buy 50-100 acres in Alabama, and build a 40X60 shop (to live in temporarily) then build a 2-3000 sq ft log cabin.  We plan on harvesting the trees off of the property to do this with.

I was thinking at first of building a manual mill, but quickly realized that with back issues, I need hyd to get the work done.  So when I saw the WM cantilever design I thought that was a good idea as far as ergonomics.  Then I saw the Cooks HD 3238 and liked the idea of the drag back feature, which makes the saw a one man operation. 

I found a WM LT50 locally that wouldn't cut a straight line.  It started at 1", then 3' into the cut was down to 1.5" depth, and when it exited the log at 8' was less than .5".  The guy was trying to sell it for a friend and it hadn't ran in several years.  They were asking 24K, and I was afraid to offer anything.  It had been rode hard and put up wet.  It was flashing ERROR codes, and WM in Newnan wouldn't venture a guess on repair cost.

Next saw was a WM LT40 Super diesel loaded 2016 model for 28K.  We negotiated the deal, I went to my bank and got the loan.  Called to make plans to come up the next day.  Owner said he didn't have a way to load logs till the following week.  I said I would be up on Tuesday AM.  He texted me Monday afternoon, said the saw wasn't for sale.  He was keeping it.  So now I have a loan, and no saw.

I was at Cooks Saws yesterday looking for a HD 3238, the saw that I think I would really prefer unless I can find a used AC 36 for a good price.  Unfortunately Cooks does not have a hydraulic saw on the property that they can demo.  They won't have one until early Dec.  It's hard to put your hard earned cash on the line when you can't even see one run.  I know they are back-ordered several weeks, but you would expect to have a customer saw that is being delivered to someone else being checked before delivery.

Can the board drag back feature be added to a WM LT50?

Right now I guess I'm looking at the new HD3236, a used AC 36 diesel, or WM LT50 diesel in my price range.

Any thoughts or opinions on my thought process?  I know if I were younger, in better shape a lot of saws would fill my needs.

thanks in advance,
Ken

Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

pineywoods

Drag back is an option on most woodmizers. Requires the bigger feed motors. Where in alabama ? There's bunches of sawyers all over the place. Visit and look before you buy..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ladylake

By all means try too see as many as you can in person.  That LT50 not cutting straight is not the machines fault, its the operator. Flashing error codes would scare me.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customcutter01

PW, thanks.  I thought it was an option on the larger mills.  Right now we are visiting family SW of Dothan about 50 miles and plan on building/buying within an hour or two of here.

LL:  Yes, I called WM the next day and they said it could be fixed.  I know from examining it that the guides, rollers, etc were in need of replacement.  He had already replaced several hyd hoses.  WM wouldn't even venture a range on the Accuset II said it could be anything from cables to hardware (cards). 

We heard yesterday that someone local here that the in-laws know has a red mill.  So trying to make contact and get a chance to see it hopefully.  Another man that cut some lumber for them years ago sold his LT 70 about 3 years ago for a great price.  As usual a day late and a dollar short...

Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

TKehl

Lot's of options on sawmill exchange.  Here are a couple at a quick glance that may suit your fancy.

Hydraulic Timberking in AL:
https://www.sawmillexchange.com/view_product/18094/

Cooks AC36 in MO:
https://www.sawmillexchange.com/view_product/17981/
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thecfarm

I looked for 20 years before I bought one!!!
Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ladylake

That Cooks seems like a good deal with a edger and sharpener included plus a Kubota diesel , I wonder if that's 400 hours on the mill or just the motor .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customcutter01

TK, Thanks already been in contact with Linda at the Sawmill Exchange this AM.  She contacted me back about 1 in IN that had <1000hrs but that was on the new motor.  It had 6-7K hours on the mill.  But price is right if in good condition.  The one in MO I think only has 400 hrs as the edger has 375 hrs, so trying to get more info on it.  Hoping it is for sale without the edger.  Out of my price range if not.

TCF, thanks for the welcome.  I hope to have the shop and house built in 2-3 years.  (optomistic)

Steve, I think the Cooks saw in MO may be 400 hrs, the edger only has 375 hrs.  Trying to find out if he is willing to sell seperately.  I'm looking at this one first, if I can swing it.
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

starmac

If you can make a smoking deal on that LT50, I wouldn't be so quick to discount it. That error is for the set works, if it works out it is too expensive to fix, you can remove it. For what you are wanting to do, you can get by just fine with out it, everything else can be easily fixed if the frame itself is in good shape.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, customcutter01!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

customcutter01

Quote from: starmac on November 18, 2017, 07:27:01 PM
If you can make a smoking deal on that LT50, I wouldn't be so quick to discount it. That error is for the set works, if it works out it is too expensive to fix, you can remove it. For what you are wanting to do, you can get by just fine with out it, everything else can be easily fixed if the frame itself is in good shape.

Yes, I've thought of that, but don't quite know how to offer a man $10K for a saw he wants $24K for?  IMHO $15K would be a huge price...  I know it's worth $24K if it's running properly, but it's not.

Thanks for the welcome CW
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

Dave Shepard

An LT50 would be worth $24k even if all the setworks were missing altogether.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dgdrls

Welcome,   I'll offer this
Sounds like you will be stationary,  perhaps electric would be a power option?  If not go diesel.

Also have you considered a dimension style sawmill such as a Mighty Mite or a Mahoe?

Best
D

customcutter01

Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 18, 2017, 08:38:30 PM

I'll be glad to get his address if it's still for sale, when I get home.  There were $2-3K worth of things that I could see wrong with it in a 15 minute inspection.  That was just guides, one was missing completely, the v-guides for the bar that the guide rode on were rusted and terribly corroded.  He said he had just replaced them.   He also claimed that he had replaced all of the hydraulic hoses but only 5 were laying there on the ground next to the machine.    He made several cuts and every time he tried to back up it would back up a couple of feet stop, he would fiddle with the levers/switches and suddenly it would work again for a few feet, then stop again. The fuel tank, and blade coolant tank were about to fall apart from UV radiation.  The 6 boxes of blades that he claimed came with it were completely covered in rust and probably pitted.  He claimed his friend hadn't ran it in 6 years and that the building it was stored in fell down around it.  I think it might have fell down around it the first month it was there.  It's definitely not worth $24K of my money.
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

customcutter01

Quote from: dgdrls on November 18, 2017, 09:26:35 PM
Welcome,   I'll offer this
Sounds like you will be stationary,  perhaps electric would be a power option?  If not go diesel.

Also have you considered a dimension style sawmill such as a Mighty Mite or a Mahoe?

Best
D

D Thanks for the welcome.  I may not have power for a while when I first get the property, so I was going with gas.  If I can find a used diesel in my price range I will definitely consider it.  I have not looked at the dimensional Sawmills like a Mighty Mite or Mahoe.  I will give them a look on U-tube tomorrow, to see what they are about.

thanks,
Ken
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

Dave Shepard

Quote from: customcutter01 on November 18, 2017, 09:35:12 PM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on November 18, 2017, 08:38:30 PM

I'll be glad to get his address if it's still for sale, when I get home.  There were $2-3K worth of things that I could see wrong with it in a 15 minute inspection.  That was just guides, one was missing completely, the v-guides for the bar that the guide rode on were rusted and terribly corroded.  He said he had just replaced them.   He also claimed that he had replaced all of the hydraulic hoses but only 5 were laying there on the ground next to the machine.    He made several cuts and every time he tried to back up it would back up a couple of feet stop, he would fiddle with the levers/switches and suddenly it would work again for a few feet, then stop again. The fuel tank, and blade coolant tank were about to fall apart from UV radiation.  The 6 boxes of blades that he claimed came with it were completely covered in rust and probably pitted.  He claimed his friend hadn't ran it in 6 years and that the building it was stored in fell down around it.  I think it might have fell down around it the first month it was there.  It's definitely not worth $24K of my money.

Fair enough. Depending on the extent of the neglect, it could still be worthwhile for somebody, but not if you aren't into a project.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

customcutter01

Dave, hope I didn't come across as harsh,  I didn't mean to, if I did my apologies.  But as you said I'm not looking for a project in a saw.  Unless, it's at a steal of a price.  I'll have enough to do purchasing land, building, etc.

BTW.  While visiting the In-laws here in Al, I've located a man that they know who owns a Cooks AC-36.  He's invited me over later in the week to watch his saw in operation.  He also has a brother who bought a used AC-36 several years ago, that he said hasn't cut 500bf with it.  He said he might be interested in selling it.  So I might be able to negotiate a deal on a lightly used mill that's local.
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

Dave Shepard

No, you didn't come across as harsh. I was just looking at it from a different point of view. I can definitely see where most people don't want a pig in a poke. (Old saying).  :)

Alligator

The last I knew about a year ago this mill was still sitting in a barn not being used. Near Slocomb Al. (Your target area)
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,78809.msg1196411.html#msg1196411 This is my neighbor that it was loaned to. He cut maybe 4000 to 5000 bd. ft. of SYP and maybe 1500 ERC and the owner came back and hauled back to the barn. I ask him about i one day about 1½ hears ago and he said he thought he still had it. Don't know if it could be bought. I'll see if I can find out.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

customcutter01

Hey Alligator, sorry to hear about your loss.  Sure check and see if it's available.  I'm wanting a bigger saw, but this one might work in a pinch.  Thanks for posting.  Yes, we are close by in the Geneva/Sampson area.

thanks, Ken
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

Alligator

Quote from: customcutter01 on November 19, 2017, 07:32:23 PM
Hey Alligator, sorry to hear about your loss.  Sure check and see if it's available.  I'm wanting a bigger saw, but this one might work in a pinch.  Thanks for posting.  Yes, we are close by in the Geneva/Sampson area.

thanks, Ken

Yea that was 3 years ago. Still miss him. I'll check with my neighbor and see what I can find out. As I remember the guy bought it to build 5 or 6 hay barns on his place and it has just been sitting, except when JP used it. I am in IT and have several customers in Geneva, Samson, Opp, and strung out across the southeast Alabama / Florida border. When you get settled up this way, one of my customers is a couple that has a good CPA firm if you need one. https://www.taxprollc.com/ Really nice couple own it John and Angie. Right on 52 in Geneva. By the way I live about 8 miles from Cook Saw. I have known them kind of distantly since they started.
Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

customcutter01

Quote from: Alligator on November 19, 2017, 09:51:56 PM

Yea that was 3 years ago. Still miss him. I'll check with my neighbor and see what I can find out. As I remember the guy bought it to build 5 or 6 hay barns on his place and it has just been sitting, except when JP used it. I am in IT and have several customers in Geneva, Samson, Opp, and strung out across the southeast Alabama / Florida border. When you get settled up this way, one of my customers is a couple that has a good CPA firm if you need one. https://www.taxprollc.com/ Really nice couple own it John and Angie. Right on 52 in Geneva. By the way I live about 8 miles from Cook Saw. I have known them kind of distantly since they started.

I'll keep that in mind, I'm hoping we can have everything done in 2-3 years, and we have a great CPA where we are.  Yes, we were there Friday at Cooks Saw, they just didn't have a hyd saw to demo, or I probably would have put a deposit down.   We'll see how it works out.
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
New Holland TN65D

Thank You Sponsors!