iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions from a Prospective Sawyer

Started by jeepcj779, July 30, 2019, 06:42:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Just get a new decked out 75k dually. Then you won't have any issues pulling 😂😂

terrifictimbersllc

I was referring to thinking I've seen (I am not sure) that the need to display USDOTNC (intrastate NC) kicked in at 26001# combined GVWRs, like a few other states have it. Yes I realize that This is also a threshold for CDL but not confusing the two.

I once had a list of all 50 states weight requirements for having USDOTXY #. (XY is the abbreviation of the state and is displayed for intrastate carriers in commerce).  I'll try to find it.

In the meantime, here is an article from a compliance outfit, that succinctly describes how I understand the situation. It just doesnt have a list of the states.  
https://woodruffsawyer.com/property-casualty/fleet-weight-regulations-dot/

And here is a 2012 NC link that says that 26001 pounds or more, in business,  needs a USDOTNC number. https://www.ncdps.gov/press-release/new-program-requires-intrastate-usdot-numbers

A company would be required to obtain a USDOT number if it operates a commercial motor vehicle in intrastate commerce that:
Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR), a gross combination weight rating (GCWR), a gross vehicle weight (GVW) or gross combination weight (GCW) of 26,001 pounds or more: or Is designed or used to transport more than 16 passengers, including the driver, or Is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding pursuant to 49 C.F.R. Parts 170 through 185.
This requirement is not limited to "trucking companies." As defined by law, a "motor carrier" is any commercial enterprise that uses such vehicles in its business operation and as a result it is subject to Federal Motor Carrier Safety regulations.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

trimguy

I have a 14' box truck for my day job. Gross weight 12,100 lbs.  The DOT pulled me over a couple of years ago and explained it to me. Over 10,000 lbs. You have to have a number , over 26,000lbs you have to have a CDL. My truck is a 3500      ( 1 ton ) . With DOT numbers you have to have everything a " big " truck has ( fire extinguishers, triangles, health card , etc. ) except the CDL. My argument was all the 1 ton pickups on the road and the officer said " probably , but I have you pulled over right now. ". This is in Georgia.

jeepcj779

@Crusarius, I am confident the Tacoma with the tow package can handle 4300 lbs just fine. Towing a heavy load is not usually the issue, stopping is, so in addition to the tow package, I will also have a properly calibrated brake controller, so I don't think there will be an issue towing just over 2/3 of the factory rated capacity. 
@Walnut Beast, I already have the dually. Just don't want to use it for "business" purposes.

Walnut Beast

I think you will be fine towing that weight

jeepcj779

We'll, if anyone was wondering, I decided to stick with the LT-50. It is already waiting on me at Woodmizer NC, so I didn't want to cancel on them. On top of that, my wife said I should go ahead and get the 50 because "you'll end up buying it next year anyway". I'll take the advice of some FF members and skip the sharpener/setter for now. That will offset the cost a bit. I'll reconsider getting my own sharpening stuff next time they go on sale.
  Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Southside

That is a very reasonable way to go, you end up with mill to grow into and honestly, you will have enough to wrap your head around without worrying about sharpening your own bands.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: jeepcj779 on July 31, 2020, 08:06:31 PM
 We'll, if anyone was wondering, I decided to stick with the LT-50. It is already waiting on me at Woodmizer NC, so I didn't want to cancel on them. On top of that, my wife said I should go ahead and get the 50 because "you'll end up buying it next year anyway". I'll take the advice of some FF members and skip the sharpener/setter for now. That will offset the cost a bit. I'll reconsider getting my own sharpening stuff next time they go on sale.
Get a box of 7° trubo carbides when you pick up your mill. The value of the sharpening equipment is diminished quite bit with using the carbides. Resharp is a good option when you get 10MBF + per sharp cycle.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Walnut Beast

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations, wishing you the best.  I doubt you'll think much about whether you made a good decision. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

great decision.  I do not remember when your stint is over, but let me be one of the first to welcome you home to civilian life.  Thank you for your service.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

jeepcj779

Thanks Doc. My "final out" was on the 29th. My terminal leave starts today and we leave Hawaii tonight. We'll be eating Smithfield's BBQ for dinner by tomorrow evening! Then I guess I'll start preping for the hurricane...

btulloh

Good luck on the new direction. It sure sounds like you've got a plan worked out, and a good one. 

The best part is that you'll be able to get real barbecue. That alone will give you a good foundation for dealing with this hurricane we're expecting. Like all weather, we won't know what it'll be til it gets here. 

Travel safely and good luck with everything. Be sure to let us know how that first barbecue works out.  
HM126

Southside

Did you double check to make sure you didn't accidentally pack any souvenir lava?  ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

jeepcj779

Don't worry @Southside. I didn't accidentally pack any lava belonging to the People's Republic of Hawaii.

WV Sawmiller

Reminds me one time when I heard a young Marine complaining about being stationed on Okinawa. A wizened old senior NCO said "Its our own d__n fault. As many Marines as have passed through this island, if each of us had just taken a half a seabag full of sand and coral home with us each time this place would be gone by now and we would not have to keep coming back."

Welcome home. Enjoy the BBQ. Not sure if I'd want the Smithfields or Sonny's but either way I am sure you will do well. To be fair try them both. Which part of NC are you returning to? 

I know I am going into withdrawal not being able to see my grandson and granddaughter in Charlotte. Stay safe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jeepcj779

Hawaii has a rule about talking sand, rocks, lava, or pretty much anything else from the island (unless you are a resident selling it to the tourists - then its OK). The state is most protective of the black sand, green sand, and lava rock. I think the last one is kind of funny because the 2018 eruption created 875 acres of new land on the big island. All lava rock now. Anyway, I don't like the traffic and crowds much, but Hawaii is good for the most part. Good weather, lots to do (if you like hiking and beach related activities), you just have to know where not to go to stay out of trouble.
  We are heading back to Dunn, NC. I've never heard of Sonny's, so Smithfield's is definitely better! There is one about 10 min from the house.

Cjross73

Welcome back and congrats on retirement.  I'm in grantham so not far from you.  
LT40, Stihl saw, Old green tractor

jeepcj779

It has been a long wait, but I am finally going to pick my mill up next Friday at Wood-Mizer Carolina. If anyone has input on what I should pay the most attention to, or what you wish you would have spent more time going over when you picked up a mill in the past, I would love to hear it. Also, thanks to Tammy at LogRite for helping me out with selecting the right cant hooks and a fetching arch.

Southside

I would say make sure you really understand how to set up and pack up the sawmill.  When setting it into the travel position there are a number of steps you have to take, in the right order, or things won't fit, could get bent, etc.  Likewise when setting the mill up to saw, knowing how to properly set the legs up will save you a lot of frustration down the road.  

If possible I would record the training session so you have it for reference later on.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

Don't just assume that the mill is adjusted correctly, go over the basic procedure real time.  It should be dialed in, but even if it is, you will have a baseline in case something changes later on.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ladylake

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on July 31, 2020, 10:49:57 PM
Quote from: jeepcj779 on July 31, 2020, 08:06:31 PM
Get a box of 7° trubo carbides when you pick up your mill. The value of the sharpening equipment is diminished quite bit with using the carbides. Resharp is a good option when you get 10MBF + per sharp cycle.

Carbide would be  fine until you hit a pole barn nail , drywall screw, or lag screw.  Steve  
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on September 24, 2020, 10:46:05 PM
I would say make sure you really understand how to set up and pack up the sawmill.  When setting it into the travel position there are a number of steps you have to take, in the right order, or things won't fit, could get bent, etc.  Likewise when setting the mill up to saw, knowing how to properly set the legs up will save you a lot of frustration down the road.  

If possible I would record the training session so you have it for reference later on.  
Cant improve on this advice.  Failure to comply can lead to:
sawmill pointing to the sky
sawmill rolling down a hill
sawmill tipping over
sawmill getting bent or broken
somebody getting hurt or worse

You may have to ask them to pack up and set up again if you want to see it, if they are demoing your mill, as you'll be engrossed in the operation and may run out of time to ask them to set it up again.   Packing up is the exact reverse of setting up except when setting up you are making judgments about how high to have the front 3 jacks before bringing the head forward.

Hopefully you're already familiar with towing.

Ask whatever comes to mind.   Enjoy the experience it only happens once.  Well, once per new sawmill.  :D

Magicman

Quote from: ladylake on September 25, 2020, 04:30:14 AMCarbide would be fine until you hit a pole barn nail , drywall screw, or lag screw. Steve
I completely agree with Steve.  When sawing logs you are virtually guaranteed to occasionally hit metal, rocks, etc.  I trashed two "new out of the box" blades while sawing my last job which cost the customer $60, whereas the cost of carbide blades would have been $180.

There is no way to justify this to the customer.  Normal blade wear is my cost and the customer is not concerned whether I can saw 500 or 5,000 bf with a blade.  He certainly would care if the damaged blade cost was $90 vs $30.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!