iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone use an excavator to load their sawmill?

Started by maple flats, July 05, 2009, 06:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maple flats

I just bought an 8000# excavator and along with ditching and field tile installation I was thinking of using it to load the Peterson. Has anyone tried this? I will be adding a thumb and can lift 2000# up close to the rig. This is more than 90% of my logs weigh most years (this year I have had mostly LARGE oak and Sugar maple logs going well over this according to the weight calculator in the FF toolbox, but this is the exception rather than the rule. I think by keeping the tracks parallel to the tracks I could put any log within the weight limit exactly where I want it with no cant hook or peavy work. Any ideas for or against this?
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

campy

I use a small tractor with a front end loader and a bobcat with forks when I can get it.

The main thing is not to bang into the mill and be safe.

I have learned how to turn the logs with the bobcat so I do not have to crank it with the cant hook. 

Just have to go slow and be careful.

Jasperfield

I use a Bobcat 337 excavator (11,800 lbs) with a small Valby rotating grapple designed for small excavators.

It's picked up every log I've ever placed on my Blockbuster processer.

I'm very, very happy with the grapple and the 337.

Dave Shepard

I call this the hydraulic upgrade for the manual mill. :)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Banjo picker

I personally don't like to have to load or even move logs around on the mill with loaders and such.  Too much of a chance to bend the log deck ...all it would take is one hyd. line to blow at an inopertune moment.  Not saying I don't do it from time to time when I get a log that I cant positioned right, but I don't like to.  JMO  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

shinnlinger

I have used my 40,000 lb excavator to load my mill, but before you get excited you should know I drop the logs on a deck I whipped up out of  RR track and then I peavy onto the mill.  You should be able to come up with some kind of deck pretty easily (you own a mill right?)  I too share concerns about bending the mill with heavy equipment.  The effort you think you are saving is out the window if you break something.  If you want to roll a big log, wrap a strap or rope around a few times and lift up with your excavator, but buy a 6ft logrite and you will be happy! 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

coastlogger

I use my 18000 lb exc. to load and love it.I use tongs hanging off the bucket on a 4 foot chain, the thumb serves as a "heel" point for end of log if needed.I intend to build a custom hook for turning logs but so far I just use a chain.I also have forks that mount on back of bucket which is real handy for piling slabs on and many other things.Some photos in my gallery.In short, you are on the right track.
clgr
clgr

ErikC

Add me to the list of satisfied tractor mill loaders. I use the loader for the most part, but have used the hoe as well. I use the hoe to lift and reposition big logs when on the bunks too, but if they are small enough I use the hand tools. Mostly because if it's small enough to do that way without hurting myself, it's faster than getting on the tractor too.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

backwoods sawyer

I only let one-person load the mill with his mini excavator with a thumb, he is very gentle with my mill. I prefer for them to place the logs in front of the loading arms and let me roll the log onto the loading arms and load it that way. The mini excavator handles even some of the larger logs nicely and does not tear up the ground like a skid steer. What is real nice about them is they can pick the slab off the top of the log if you spin the slab 90*. Now there is the real back saver, forks on a tractor can do about the same thing.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

bandmiller2

Much better to use any machine to load the bunks then roll the logs on the mill with a peavy.Using a machine to load and turn on the mill its just a matter of time before something gets bent.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moonhill

Machinery can and will bent things.  I bent a bunk on the saw years ago, by dropping a large cant from a distance, I was using an unfamiliar machine.  I use a self loader to load the bunks, when rolling the logs from the bunks to the sawmill and there is a large log I will push it onto the mill with the excavator.

I am now turning by hand, I used to use straps and the fork lift.  By hand I mean not using a cant hook either, I am using a chain with a peavy hook on the end and a Hi Lift jack.  I welded a grab hook onto the bottom of the lift arm on the jack which the chain is hooked onto.  The peavy hook is just slightly set into the top face of the log, the chain runs down and under the log and hooked onto the jack on the opposite side.  It take little effort to turn the largest of logs, and is more controllable and faster than the fork lift and straps.  It is a manual log turner. It has saved my back for sure.  I have been turning 30" logs in 2 minutes, that is getting all the duck in a row, from getting off the saw to clamped back down.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

ErikC

One nice thing about the peterson WPF and tractors is the bunks the log sets on aren't part of the mill. If you break them, throw in another.  I have a feeling I'd be a little more uneasy about loading a bandmill bed with a tractor. I definitely wouldn't let joe homeowner do it when on a portable job, no matter how big the mill and how small the logs!! 
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

shinnlinger

Moonhill,

Do you have any pics of your turner rig?  Sounds neat.  Also, do you know of any good marine salvage yards in the Camden area?  I am looking for some hydraulic winches and will be up there in two weeks or so.

Another thought on excavators aka  hydraulic pumps on tracks.  I could see if you already have an excavator, that it could be a cheap way to add different hydraulic accessories to your mill  two QC hoses that you plug in to your excavator when you are at the mill.  Maybe suspend A log loader grapple from the bucket while you are at it.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

moonhill

Shinnlinger, I gave up trying the picture thing, mostly just lazy, to be honest.  I had been thinking of putting this together for a few years, it only took 1/2 an hour and the result was super, very low tech.  Any one turning by hand should try it on the larger logs, especially if you saw by your self. 

Sorry, I am not aware of any marine salvage yards, that doesn't mean they are not there. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

StorminN

Hey Shinnlinger,

You'd probably have better luck with the marine salvage yards in the Bath / Brunswick area, if you're going to pass through there.

If you've got the time, stop by Elmer's Barn in Cooper's Mills, it used to be a neat old place I liked to poke around when I spent time in nearby Jefferson... you never know what you might find. Elmer's Barn

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

bandmiller2

Shinn,look up a company that sells and services auto and truck wreakers they always have something under the bench.Many times their are heavy duty electric winches with a burned out electric motor [common]I got one and put a hyd. motor on it.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!