iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS270 Trade In

Started by larasea, July 05, 2018, 08:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larasea

I'm looking for a more powerful saw without added weight at 65 years old.  This MS270 has been good to me cutting 5 to 10 full cord a year since 2010.   After many hours of research, I think the MS362 C-M would be a fine saw for me.  Same weight but more power.  Had a dealer offer me $175 trade in value on the purchase of a MS362 c-m.  My saw is 8 years old and still running strong.  Fair offer?

Thanks new to forum.  Looking for input.

btulloh

I'd call it fair.  You'll like the 362.  Really good balance.  Good power for the weight.  Don't be tempted to get the 391.  Just my .02
HM126

teakwood

I like to agree with btulloh. fair offer and good saw you're getting
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

realzed

Or at our age we really don't need to be slugging around the extra weight, which is exactly why I opt'd for a MS261C-M model this Spring after having great reliable service from my MS290 for years and it saved me close to 2 pounds of hoisting effort and gained an even more balanced and smoother running saw..
They look small - like a toy - but they do put out!  
If you want to make your 'cutting life' even easier for yourself going forward, the 261C-m may be the best answer for you - it was for me..  tons of power for the displacement, extremely light weight for that power level, and better pro quality than what I was used to.. but really the weight, smoothness, and balance sold me on one!

Ianab

I'd never go out without a spare saw. Sometimes the plan doesn't quite come together and you get your good saw pinched. OK, I tend to end up with big and ugly trees, where that does happen. But if I get the 80cc Dolmar stuck, I have the trusty MS 310 that will fire up reliably and cut me out of a bind. 

So for that price, I'd keep the MS270 as a backup. Run it up for limbing to put a tank of gas through it occasionally and keep it running sweet. Look at it this way, if you could buy a MS270 that you KNOW is good and well cared for, for $170, it would be a great deal right?

Heck I'd like to have 3 saws. The beast, the medium size "go to" saw, and a handy little limbing saw.

And the MS 362 is good saw for it's size, you will be impressed. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

larasea

THANKS GUYS.  I do have a small back up saw, MS192c.  But, after sleeping on it and all your inputs I don't think I'll do the deal.  Although I would really like a new saw, maybe I don't NEED one.  Not sure I can part with my MS270.  MS261c-e is also a tempting saw choice.  Just got done cutting, splitting, and stacking 5 cord at hunting cabin.  So woods up for this season.  After hunting season and reading this forum for more good information, I'll reevaluate.

ladylake

If you have to get a Stihl get a MS261, cuts almost as fast as a 362 and lighter.  Even a MS241 with the lo pro chain will cut as fast or faster than your old MS270.  I'm going on 66 now and run 40 cc saws a lot.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

teakwood

I can't agree with that, the 261 is a great saw and will do the job also, butt the 361 compared to the 261 is a complete different animal! with the 3/8" B/C it's way more aggressive and if you muffler mod it the 361 it's a mid size beast.

Of course i use them professionally in my plantations and do production falling with them, so the 361 speeded up the process a lot!!   
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Thank You Sponsors!