iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

47" - 50" 3/8 Stihl-mount sprocket-nose bars

Started by DonnerParty, January 21, 2016, 02:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonnerParty

Just making sure I'm aware of all of the bars that are currently available in this size before I buy one. I have only been able to find a 50" GB bar at LeftCoastSupplies in 3/8" .063. Not unreasonable at $285. Anything else available in a 3002 Stihl mount in this size range in 3/8"? I love Stihl bars, but only see a hardnose (duromatic) 47" and it's pricey.

beauj5

I may be wrong, but I believe Stihl goes from 42" to 60" and nothing in between.  I know Cannon makes bars from 16" up to 96".  I have a 60" from them, but I had to order it because they had to make it as they were out of stock at the time, so it took almost a month and almost 4 bills, but I have one.  Its a bit heavy though.  They also make double ended bars you can put a handle on those longer bars as they get heavy and awkward on uneven ground.  Anyway, check with Cannon.  I don't shop at Bailey's ( 100% Mom and Pop guy), but you can look on their website for lengths and prices.  Anyway, that's my 2 cents and experience.  Sde note and totally irrelevant, why don't they have the cents symbol on a keyboard like they do the dollar sign $ ?  I'd use it more :D
When the road forked, I went straight.

T540xp, 562xp, 034 super mag, 044, 460, 576, 056 super mag, ms460, 066, ms880, 090.

DonnerParty

Thanks for the reply. I can still get a duromatic (hardnose) bar in 47" from Stihl. Not sure why they don't list them on their site anymore.

I couldn't find a Cannon bar over 42" in 3/8", but I guess they would make one. Way heavier and way more $ than GB. Guess I'll go with the GB, as I've had good luck with them and the price is good.

Thanks for your 2¢  :-*

(cents symbol: ¢ is option-4 on a mac, FYI)

Al_Smith

If you get over 42"they are nose heavy as the dickens .

I've got a 42" Oregon on an 084 Stihl and it's not bad .Conversely I have a 48" that fits either a Mac 125 or a Homelite 2100S that is like trying to lift a bowling ball on the end of a broomstick .

Every so often a long bar pops up on flea bay and they are certainly proud of them .Let me tell you though the novelty of running a long bar fads very quickly .

DonnerParty

Thanks for the reply. I only use long bars for milling, which is most of what I do. Planning on going with the 50" GB at this point.

Redbull661

3002 50" cannon or oregon bar ...if it's .063 groove .404 tip,  you can just change the tip out to a 3/8ths tip.  single large aluminum rivet to drill...easy.

Thank You Sponsors!