iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Top 30 Whitetail Extravaganza

Started by inspectorwoody, January 13, 2008, 06:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

On Thursday, Natalie and I, along with Red, an  Amish friend of ours made our way to Bloomington,IL  for The Select 30 and Top 30 Whitetail deer sale.

My interest in this industry came after becoming friends with Red earlier this summer. He has about 20 head of deer and there are several other Amish that also have them. Never did I realize that there was as much money in this industry as there is. Good genetics brings big money!

The Select 30 was new this year. More breeders are raising better deer with in their programs but didn't have any where to showcase them. Breeders sent in their portfolios and pictures and than were chosen by the top 10 breeders in last years Top 30 sale.

The Top 30, showcases the best 30 breeders across North America. The top 5 money getters' this year, will automatically quailify for next years sale.

The sale was held at the Interstate Center in Bloomington.The center was split up into three parts. One part was set up with booths for the breeders to showcase their programs etc. along with other deer related items. such as chutes,darts etc. Another part was set up for the big dinner and the other part was the sale portion.

The sale portion consists of a large projector screen, along with a system set up for internet bidders and many rows of chairs for the attendees. The projector screen was used to display what was up for bid such as a bred doe, doe fawn,buck fawn,semen etc. In the sale catalog each breeder had a detailed description of the genetic make up of the deer or semen etc.

The Select 30 began at Noon on Thursday and ended around 5pm. The Top 30 began at 9am on Friday and ended around 6pm.

The Select 30 had $874,000 in sales and I have yet to figure the Top 30 sales. The highlight of the Top 30 was the choice of 2007 buck fawn that sold for $270,000.00.  :o Last years buck that was chosen scored 229 6/8 as a yearling. Two live coverages sold for $15,000.00 a piece. Semen ranged from $500 - $10,000 a straw.

To top the trip off, my name was drawn by the last consignor in the Top 30 for a straw of semen off his farm. I with the advice from Red, chose semen from the buck Jerome Patrick. Prior to the drawing, they had sold his semen for $2400.00/straw and they sell it for $3000.00/straw off the farm.  8) The buck went 305 in velvet at 3.5 years old. He has 29" main beams, 12"+G2s and 6x6 main frame.  8) We spoke with the consignor and it sounds like I will be able to split the straw at least twice and probably three times.  ;)

We had a lot of fun and it was very interesting to get inside this industry and see what it holds. For more information, visit http://www.top30auction.com/home.htm.

Tom

I'll bet they don't turn those bucks loose in the back pasture.

Dan_Shade

wow, that's a cool deal.  All I can say is don't get that straw mixed up in your drink!

Do you guys have domesticated deer?  or do you trap the does to breed them?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

logwalker

Very interesting. I had no idea they were doing this. So you are breeding deer also, InspectorWoody?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

semologger

there are a few guys around here that have deer farms. i cut inside this guys farm had some nice ones running around. he had fenced in around 600 acres with 12 foot  fence. he put a lot of money in it so has to be good money in it.

inspectorwoody

Tom

A lot of the big bucks go to hunting preserves. They are known as shooter bucks and than you have bucks set aside just for breeding and they are known as breeder bucks. People pay big money for the guided hunts.

Dan

A lot of breeders will bottle feed the fawns so they are tame. Some are "dog tame" and some are tame enough to come with in feet of you but some on the other hand still carry the wild genes. When I helped Red TB test his deer, we had to run them through a chute system and there were a few that were as wild as wild could be. 

logwalker

I wasn't breeding and or raising any deer prior to winning the straw, but it looks like I will be now!  ;D I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I might try to spilt the straw 3 ways and sell one of them and than Lap AI a couple does and see what happens. There are so many variables to consider.

Haytrader

I had a conversation with a rustic furniture maker from Texas this last fall. He said there were several deer farms near him in Utopia, Tx..
He said when the owners of the fenced in deer went on trips, thier hands "darted the big uns" and sold them to a competitor.
I said "naw"  He said "Yep"

I am not into the leasing land or guiding hunts but land brings more here from hunters than farmers and leasing is a big deal. One young rancher told me there was a $25000 deer taken here this season. Seems they pay X amount to hunt and pay extra according to what the deer scores.
Haytrader

inspectorwoody

There seems to be big talk about Texas with in the industry. It is my understanding that deer cannot be taken in and or out of Texas at this time so the only way to get the big ones is to buy the semen straws.

Thank You Sponsors!