iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Variance from 45 sawing

Started by esarratt, April 17, 2020, 08:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

esarratt

My understanding is rift sawn lumber is 30-60 degrees to the rings and quarter sawn is 60-90 degrees.

Is lumber that is sawn perfectly at 45 degrees to the rings the most stable?

How much can one vary from 45 degrees before stability starts to become sacrificed?

Tom the Sawyer

I don't think you could get a board sawn "perfectly at 45 degrees to the rings", since you are talking about flat planes intersecting with curved planes.  If the center line of a board intersected with the rings at 45 degrees, the angle of intersection would be different on both sides of the center point.  IMO, "rift" is more sought after as an appearance factor.  Quartersawn is generally considered more "stable", but it depends on what type of stability you are seeking.

You would likely get more answers by posting this in the sawmills and milling section, it really doesn't have anything to do with urban and community forestry.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Southside

Like Tom said, as a rule QS is the most stable and has the least shrinkage.  Look at the old heart pine flooring, all QS / vertical grain.  What is it you are wanting to produce?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

esarratt

Shingles cut on a bandsaw.  I was wondering if a little more effort (I have the wood) would increase the longevity.

Don P

For a shingle its just like a rived shake, quartersawn would give the best service.

Thank You Sponsors!