iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Red Oak?

Started by E-Tex, February 20, 2019, 04:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Tex

What oak is this...Southern Red Oak?  Other?

I'm in East Texas.

Thanks for the help!

LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Yes, it is a Red Oak and since I am "non-formally educated" I tend to lump the large leaf Red Oaks into the Cherrybark category.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

To be technical, it's Blowed Over Oak  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

lxskllr

Mossy Oak. I've seen that before somewhere

<.<
>.>

curdog

I'd say southern red oak. The leaves have a bell shaped base which is typical of sro. 

E-Tex

Quote from: Southside logger on February 20, 2019, 05:51:46 PM
To be technical, it's Blowed Over Oak  :D
you got that right!!!!
L2 Sawmill LLC

Magicman

Quote from: curdog on February 20, 2019, 07:38:04 PM
I'd say southern red oak. The leaves have a bell shaped base which is typical of sro.
Correct and the leaf bases do not have the pagoda shape of a Cherrybark.  :-[
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Definitely southern red oak.  You will also see that there is a color difference between the bright green of the leaf topside and a tawny brown on the leaf underside.  Makes the leaf two-toned.  Cherrybark also has a two toned leaf, but the base is not bell-shaped.  Might not see the color difference on a dried out browned out leaf, but there could be different shades of brown.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Al_Smith

So we have northern red oak and southern red oak .One prefers fried potatoes and the other grits ?It gets confusing .

lxskllr

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 21, 2019, 08:46:16 AM
So we have northern red oak and southern red oak .One prefers fried potatoes and the other grits ?It gets confusing .

The squirrels in SRO have a funny accent.
:^P

E-Tex

could have sworn the squirrels in the NRO had the funny accent..... hummmmmm!
L2 Sawmill LLC

Al_Smith

Now ponder this,a Bostonian ,one from South Carolina,an Australian and a Brit .They'd  need a translator . :D

Woodpecker52

If its in TEXAS its SOUTHERN then a red oak.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

EOTE

Quote from: E-Tex on February 20, 2019, 04:51:10 PM
What oak is this...Southern Red Oak?  Other?

I'm in East Texas.
This is a Red Oak...

This is a Dead Oak...y'all. ;D

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Thank You Sponsors!