iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this hard maple?

Started by bakerhardwoods, June 01, 2013, 07:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhardwoods

The bark is coming off a bit like elm, but the sapwood is white.  I don't have leaves.

Autocar

No it's not hard maple my guess would be elm .
Bill

Axe Handle Hound

Check the twigs if you can.  The leaf buds should be in opposite arrangement if it's a maple tree.  http://www.massmaple.org/treeid.php

bakerhardwoods

I don't have twigs and would not be able to find exactly where it grew.  The bark does not have the flaky appearance that older hard maples have, so I was thinking elm, but hoping it was maple.  Hope does not buy much.

beenthere

The first pic smacks of possibly hickory. Has it been ruled out?

But going by pics, and a blurry one, it makes it real hard to tell for sure. ;)

A clean, smooth cut showing the rings and some of the cell structure may be the best way to tell from what you have available.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

From the info available, I would also say hickory.  But, if it is elm, the latewood pores will be arranged in distinct wavy bands that look like squiggly lines.  Not so with hickory.  Get a clean slice on the end grain with a razor blade.  If it is elm, you will certainly see the wavy bands of pores in the latewood.

Check out the pics on this site.  The wavy bands are very easy to see.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bakerhardwoods

I had a reply ready and "poof" it was gone.  I'm trying to put up closer end grain pictures.  This log has the center with a ring of shake or something around it.  I did not have any luck cutting it with a razor blade

mesquite buckeye

Looks rather elmish to me. If you can set the camera for digital macro, then zoom, you can make it bigger, which would help. Also need to make a clean cut with a razor blade to give a clean view. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

Looks like elm from here too.
Blowing up one of your pics, and shows what appears to be the wavy parenchyma cells, IMO
Mesquite's suggestion of a magnified pic would tie it down better.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

There you go!  Wavy bands in the latewood  8).  Baker, you did good.

(You can never trust a hickory, anyway  :)).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bakerhardwoods

Thank you very much for "naming that log."  I decided to put it into the "cut" pile rather than the "pallet mill" pile.  I'll have it sawn 6/4.  I'll be back later with another log that is a mystery to me.
Cheers, Tim

Thank You Sponsors!