iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best chainsaw grinder

Started by bigsnowdog, November 20, 2011, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigsnowdog

I know a significant number here are filing enthusiasts, and have a question for those who use grinders. What grinder do you think is the best, and why?

bushhog920

I have a oregon 511ax and love it, the vise is well made much better than the 510. the grinder head is tight and will not wiggle like the harbor freight or northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company chinise look a like one for $130. got it on amazon for $350 they were the cheapest. spend the money and buy the best.

Cut4fun

I like my stihl usg grinder. Super heavy duty built.  Why because it is the one I own. Not very affordable for the casual user though.

Hand filed chains are the best. Learn and save your money unless you are having to fix rocked out chains by others all the time. Reason I bought grinder.

bigsnowdog

One issue I have with filing is the time required. If I get into dirt or otherwise dull a chain, I need to keep moving, so I change the chain. Then, later, when you have a pile after several days, the file won't work on the loose pile; you have to put them on a saw, one at a time.

The grinder seems far better to me, at least in my circumstances.

Corley5

I've got a MAXX and like it  8)  The best would be a Silvey but they're pricey  :)  The key to any of them is to throw away the pink rocks that come with them and get CBN grinding wheels
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Al_Smith

About the only thing as far as grinder I've ever used was a "Dremel " type on rocked chains to repair a few cutters .Better than nothing I suppose .

However being somewhat connected with a tree trimming service I seemed to have amassed a great horde of rocked Stihl branded chains .Being Stihl they're hard as a rock so an inexpensive grinder or mid priced range might be in my future .Geeze I'll bet I have a thousand dollars replacement cost of chains hanging on nails .Probabley another thousand bucks worth in the tool bins of the trucks if  went and gathered them up .

jimbarry

Quote from: Corley5 on November 21, 2011, 07:48:29 AM
I've got a MAXX and like it  8)  The best would be a Silvey but they're pricey  :)  The key to any of them is to throw away the pink rocks that come with them and get CBN grinding wheels

I've got a Oregon benchtop grinder. Its ok, spins a little to fast for my liking. Your mentioning of "pink rocks" describes the discs that came with mine. Its the reason I haven't used the sharpener much. Never heard of the CBN wheels. Source?

jimbarry

Found the wheels at Baileys... holy moly, not cheap! :o

Corley5

Foley Belsaw has them that's where I got mine.  They're not vented like Bailey's

Corley5

They might not be cheap but they don't seem to wear out either.  I'm still using the original one I bought the winter of 05 when I got my firewood processor.  It's sharpened miles of 18H processor and I can't tell that it not still new.  Really :)

bigsnowdog

Quote from: Corley5 on November 22, 2011, 04:51:49 PM
They might not be cheap but they don't seem to wear out either.  I'm still using the original one I bought the winter of 05 when I got my firewood processor.  It's sharpened miles of 18H processor and I can't tell that it not still new.  Really :)

You are referring to which brand?

bigsnowdog

Does anyone have the Stihl HOS or USG?

Cut4fun

Quote from: bigsnowdog on November 22, 2011, 05:39:30 PM
Does anyone have the Stihl HOS or USG?

Stated in reply post #2 above.  ::)

I like the USG I own, the older HOS dont have all the adjustments the USG has.  All of the info is on the stihl usa website.

Silvey would be my #1 choice though. USG was my 2nd choice and most affordable with the deal I got. I like the heavy duty part of them. Makes my husky dealers oregon 511 or something like that look like a toy compared to it.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Im hand filing mostly but if I do get lazy I just use the old Stihl/Granberg sharp boy round stick grinder they do a bloody great job and dont damage the temper of the tooth and affect the chrome either  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

RobbyRob

I'm looking to buy my own Sthil grinder and upgrade it with a diamond wheel rather than a pink grinding stone. The diamond doesn't need a dressing wheel like the pink stuff and it can sharpen Duro chains too (that's Sthil's carbide tipped chains).

I run .325 green and yellow chains on 20" bar on Sthil MS311. First load of logs was muddy ash. I went through 7 chains, took them to Sthil to get sharpened and they use the pink stone which IF NOT USED PROPERLY will overheat and screw up the temper of the chain. Basically the new guy there practiced on my 6 brand new chains. Lucky me?
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

bigsnowdog

What led you to choose the Stihl grinder?

RobbyRob

BigSnowDog, I choose the Sthil grinder because I want a durable/ heavy duty/ high volume grinder but can't afford a Silveys. I looked around, for example the Oregons look like toys and others might actually be since they are most made of plastic.
The Sthil is about 525.00 as a Silveys is 900 and more. I figure, maybe even start a side business sharpening chains because I reside in the mountains of NY and everyone here cuts wood but has to drive 30 min just to sharpen chains. Yeahh buddy
nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future

Thank You Sponsors!